Bad XL2 mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old January 16th, 2005, 10:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Bad XL2 mic

Hello everyone, been lurking here for a while and have benefitted from a number of threads and the search engine. Thanks for the great resource. I picked up an XL2 in November and have used it very sparingly (just enough to get to know it). I took it on its first shoot last weekend at the Detroit Auto Show and was dismayed to discover that the onboard Canon mic was malfunctioning (it had been working perfectly when I used it previously). The left channel was barely registering any signal at all. Using the manual gain controls I was able to sort of balance it out, but i really had to crank the gain up on the left channel and dial it way back on the right channel. This is surprising and disappointing to say the least.

I like the camera a lot, particularly being able to shoot in 16:9 at 30p, but I sure hope I don't have to ship the whole thing back to get the mic fixed (I ordered online). Has anybody else had a similar problem and been able to get the component replaced rather than returning the whole camera?

rgds
Keith Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 04:32 AM   #2
Major Player

Did you isolate the failure? Try another mic. If the sound is recorded correctly, then your mic is malfunctioning. Otherwise the problem is in the circuitry of your camera. In that case you obviously would have to send in the camera.

Rainer
Rainer Hoffmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 08:36 PM   #3
Regular Crew

yeah, sorry, I should have mentioned that i tested it with another stereo (lav) mic and it worked fine.

<<<-- Originally posted by Rainer Hoffmann : Did you isolate the failure? Try another mic. If the sound is recorded correctly, then your mic is malfunctioning. Otherwise the problem is in the circuitry of your camera. In that case you obviously would have to send in the camera. -->>>
Keith Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 08:51 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Keith,

A stereo lav mic in the xlr input would not reveal a problem that might lie in the Shotgun mic input up front.

Just a thought.

See if you can beg/borrow another XL2 shotgun mic and test it on camera. IF all is well, then send in the mic. If not, send in the whole rig.

Good luck.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2005, 05:24 AM   #5
Wrangler

If you can, try the suspect mic in another Canon. It may be that the audio mini- plug was not fully inserted.

Stereo lav - what make/model?
Old January 19th, 2005, 09:03 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I called Canon's 800 number and they asked me to send the mic back, so I sent it in yesterday.

To clarify, the stereo lav mic I tested was an old Radio Shack I had laying around. It has two separate lav condensors that merge into an unbalanced stereo wire. It was the only other stereo mic I had handy that I could test with quickly.

I unplugged the Canon mic and plugged the stereo lav in to the front mic input. Unfortunately I didn't have access to another XL2 body or mic, so I couldn't have conclusively tested. I was reasonably satisfied with the results from testing with the stereo lav, though.
Keith Paisley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders