XL2 Mexico footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old January 17th, 2005, 02:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XL2 Mexico footage

Hi all,

Shot this little diddy a few months back ...just had time to edit together a few clips. Used the XL2 ..16:9, 30p ......with a century optics .6 WA adapter. ..put it together in vegas ...didnt use any enhancements. Was going to use the filmic pluggin. ..but it was going to take 2 or 3 hours to render ...so i decided not to use it (very impatient) ...

and for those inquiring minds. The girl singing is a local resident of the city in the video. I recorded her using an audio technica mic, 2 $70 mics for the piano, a 16 channel mackie mixer and an ADAT.

www.elpez.com/mata.wmv

file size is about 20 megs

Feel free to critique the video.

Thanks.

j.
John Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 03:05 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Where you using a dolly in those moving shots? They were very smooth. Very beautiful shots. What kind of compression did you use when creating your Windows Media File?? It was very clean.
Kevin Kocak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 03:13 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Kevin,

Yes. I was using a homemade dolly. wood platform, with rubber tires, then built an 8 foot aluminum track. I have some "behind the scenes photos" But I'll have to locate them ..and I'll upload a few. :)

compression? ..hmm ..it was late at night ...i dont know if i can remember. I'll have to check when i get home.

j.
Old January 17th, 2005, 03:24 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The reason I was wondering is because am working for a small company that wants me to learn how to post video on the web. We are using the WMP format. The problem I am having is finding a balance between quality and lower file size. Any ways the photos would be very cool! I have used a home made dolly which consists of plywood rollerskate wheels and PVC pipe but it is not the smoothest and am looking to build a more sturdy dolly. I would be interesting in seeing you design. Thanx again.
Old January 17th, 2005, 03:31 PM   #5
Trustee

please let us see the fotos of your homemade rig. oh my goodness they were silky smooth!!!! build me and send us some!!! lol!

it looks really awesome. are you making this for like a "come to mexico" to vacation ad? cause it felt like that =).
Old January 17th, 2005, 04:25 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Did you use any special lighting for any of your shots, or were they all natural light?

Looks great man!
Old January 17th, 2005, 04:40 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Curtis,

All natural light. It was a frustrating few days of shooting. 60 to 70% clouds. I'd have to wait around for 20 or 30 minutes just to get a minute or 2 of total sunlight.

Early one morning. The conditions were perfect. Clear blue sky, Sun rising ..casting this beautiful light over all the buildings. I was running around as fast as I could shooting as much as I could. Got a good 1 hours worth of footage. Checked the footage a few days later, and the entire tape was destroyed. Must have been dirt on the heads, or just a bad tape. :)

j.
Old January 17th, 2005, 04:55 PM   #8
Inner Circle

John,

How frustrating for you! I am curious though, on some of the nice SLOOOW moves, the traffic was going by at a speeded up rate. How slow were those moves?
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 08:21 PM   #9
New Boot

Nicely done! That dolly work elevates this piece to another level. It's amazing what a little creep(an "Andy Rooney" we call it in the biz, get it - a little creep...) can do to raise those production values. How did u get those slow zooms in the time lapse shots? That had to be done in post, right? I just noticed recently that the interval timer feature comes stock, and it's cool to see a sample of what it can do. So what were the settings for that? How often, and for how long did u expose those shots?
I'm also really impressed with the quality of the light in the interior shots. U could have spent hours hanging lights to create that look. I've been struggling with the option of XL2 vs Z1 for my next camera, but i have to say, i'm leaning toward the XL2 after seeing this clip. Anything will be better than my P.O.S. HD10U right now. I swear i'm gonna put a round through that camera as soon as i get a suitable replacement!
Carl Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 10:25 PM   #10
Trustee

i'm interested in time lapse AND zoom as well.
Old January 17th, 2005, 11:19 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I think this is one of the best XL2 footage that I've seen so far. This is the sort of stuff that we are all looking for: elaborate shots with production value. Something other than tests and "on the run" shooting. Nice!!
Old January 17th, 2005, 11:30 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Ok, heres my best attempt at remembering settings and details about the footage

* XL2 settings = 16:9, 30p ...no customs

* Century Optics .6 WA

* No enhancements were added in post, as far as color
is concerned. What you see, is exactly what the XL2 captured.

* I did not use the time lapse features of the XL2. I just rolled
tape. On the scene with the red house, I shot about 40 minutes
of video.

* I achieved the slow zoom on the time lapse shots, in post. I
simply clicked on the "Event Pan/Crop" option, in Vegas 5.
Added a key frame at the end of the sequence and changed
the size of the image at the last keyframe. I was really happy
with the results. My favorite shot I used this on was the clip
of the guy playing the piano. The combination of the curved
dolly movement + the slow zoom (added in post) really creates
a professional look.

* I didnt use any lighting on any of the shots, other than natural
lighting. Obviously I would try to pick areas where the lighting
was good, but also I think it's a testiment to the abilities of the
camera.

* As far as the settings for the .wmv file, again, using Vegas 5.

-- Video rendering quality "Best"
-- Mode "CBR"
-- Format "Windows Media Video 9"
-- Image size "Keep Original Size"
-- Frame rate "29.970"
-- Video smoothness "90"
-- Bit rate "1 Mbps Video"

Well that about wraps that up. I've included a few behind the scenes pictures. It kind of goes againsts my nature to do this. It's kind of like seeing a really cool magic trick and part of what makes the trick so cool is that it is a mystery as to how it works. But as soon as you find out that the lovely assitant is just walking through a secret door and behind the curtain, then the trick isnt cool anymore.

anyway ...enjoy

www.elpez.com/behind1.jpg
www.elpez.com/behind2.jpg
www.elpez.com/behind3.jpg
www.elpez.com/behind4.jpg

j.
Old January 18th, 2005, 07:37 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Is that a home-made jib in the last shot? Thanks for the pix.
Old January 18th, 2005, 09:34 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Just a note on time lapse

I tested the time lapse on the Xl1 before and it's kinda useless for clouds as it's suprising how far the clouds move during the non recorded interval. When I played it back it was jerky even with the shortest interval.

Shooting 40 mins as John did and speed it up in post works very well.

Just my 2c
Donie
Old January 18th, 2005, 09:36 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Hi John

Meant to ask, did you use longer tracks in some of the shots that what is shown in the still shots you so kindly gace us? Some of those creeps look like you travel a nice distance. Is that a by-product of using the 3x lens?

Thanks for your insights
Donie

Edit: Ok, just noticed it was an 8 foot track, it looks shorter in the shots for some reason.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders