No film grain? OK BUT !! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old April 5th, 2005, 08:15 AM   #16
Tourist

XL2 SDK?

After spending time on the phone with the "video tech"guy at canon, I am SURE that there will NEVER be an SDK released for the XL2. My reasoning behind that is the tech I spoke with just a few moments ago, named Chuck (no relationship), told me that he was one of the "top techs for the Xl2" and that he had NEVER even heard of a software developers kit for the XL2. Of course, this seemed a little odd to me since even "I" have heard about it and that it was one of the smaller reasons that I chose to purchase an XL2 in September of last year. But, I guess everyone, including myself, was apparently mislead, confused, or just hearing what we wanted to hear. I did a search on the net for Canon's XL2 SDK, but only found a few sites that spoke of it. Even Canon's own site search tool left my page empty without a return from the query. So, bottom line, no such thing exists or will ever exist. Surprisingly enough, i first read about the XL2 and the SDK on this site, well before I had purchased the XL2 from canon. Makes me wonder about the rest. But that would open up a whole 'nother can of worms for the people that still believe EVERY thing they read (I used to be one of them), so I'll let it die there.
Chuck Grieves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 09:46 AM   #17
Obstreperous Rex

I agree, it seems as though it's turned out to be vaporware.

To avoid further confusion I'll be removing all references to the SDK off of the XL2 Watchdog site. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 10:26 AM   #18
Wrangler

Yeah, I haven't seen anything more here or elsewhere than Canon's words...nothing that indicates anyone claimed to have the SDK or knew anything specific about it...we all have just waiting and wondering.

I like Canon stuff, but playing the Vaporware game is not acceptable. (This is quite out of character as compared how they DON'T pre-announce hardware. We'll probably never know what the story actually is, but I'm left remaining curious as to why the company was willing to give itself a black eye on that.

So be it. I still love the camera...and will until I move up to HD soon. ;-)
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 11:31 AM   #19
Trustee

Strange...My model has an SDK feature when I first press it, and when I press the button a second time, a red sign displays in the viewfinder "LORD Of The RINGS Mode"

Maybe I've got the mock-up version...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders