No film grain? OK BUT !! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old February 7th, 2005, 03:35 PM   #1
New Boot

No film grain? OK BUT !!

Hi Guys,

I'm quite pleased about the idea of taking out the Film Grain feature, but I got the camera before that intelligent decision and now I'm stuck with a good for nothing button.

Do I have any reason to be upset ?
And if Canon adds a really cool feature in new XL2's what about us, any compensation?

Anyone knows if using the Developers Software Kit that Canon offers for free, could add a feature to this now EXTRA button?

what do you think guys?
Joan Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 03:49 PM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Joan,

Welcome to DVinfo.net!

The links below are pretty much what's known, or even speculated, about the Film Grain button so far.

http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxl2/articles/article12.php

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ght=Film+grain

We're looking forward to the first post from someone who has a "post-film Grain era" camera, but be assured that either way, you're not missing out on anything.

Not sure, but I don't think the SDK is available yet?

Cheers,
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 04:43 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

As far as I know, the entire SDK affair is dead in the water. Sorry,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 04:52 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Chris,

Is that a company position, and if so... why?
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 06:15 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Nope, Richard, it isn't, it's just my own position. They haven't said a peep about it since the announcement last July... which is coming up on... seven months ago now?

I should have clarified my remark as an opinion; sorry about that.

Old February 7th, 2005, 07:35 PM   #6
Wrangler

I hear that the function of the button will now be either a self-destruct mode, or a magic film look mode, but you won't know which until you try it.
Old February 7th, 2005, 08:45 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Hah!

This is my own fault, for ever having speculated that they could do something with that button. Of course, they ain't doing anything with that button... it's just a two-step process to activate color bars, as always.

Old February 8th, 2005, 08:49 AM   #8
New Boot

Thanks for your feedback

Really fascinating is receive a reply in the next hour. Pretty awesome!.
Well, at least I’m not alone in this one and is good to perceive that our XL2(owners) community is growing. All of us are in the same boat in this technical issue...
Ufff! I feel better now.

Thanks

from Montreal,

Joan Daniel
Joan Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 08:56 AM   #9
Regular Crew

yeah, my camera has the film grain feature which IMO is fairly worthless. I just hope that the new ones without the feature make this "older" one dated.
Eugene Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 09:35 AM   #10
Trustee

My XL2 has the Film Grain button, which in its present form is not too useful for me. I'm hoping the SDK idea is not totally dead, and enterprising individuals will come out with new functions for this button. Top of my wishlist right now is the "Lord-Of-The-Rings" button which will make anything I shoot look marvelous, have an epic storyline and give the feel of an enormous budget. Shouldn't be too hard.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 12:08 AM   #11
Major Player

Hi guys,

I have been reading this site for a long time. Found a lot of useful info for my GL2s. Thanks everyone. This is only my second post. I'm honored to actually have some information to share that might be useful.

I just bought an XL2 this week from B&H. It does not have the film grain feature. The supposed extra button is still there and it is still used for color bars. You have to press the select button to "activate" the color bars and the second button toggles them on and off.

In other words, Canon added nothing, they just subtracted the option for film grain. Turning on color bars is just a 2 button process.

Sorry to deflate anybody's hopes.

-Vence Vida
Creative Juices Video
Vence Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 08:05 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Damn Vence, you just burst my hope for a "Make this film sell" button...
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2005, 02:02 AM   #13
Regular Crew

So is the option actually gone?

On my XL2 (purchased 2 weeks ago) the first button displays "film grain" or "color bars" in the EVF. Turning on film grain appears to make the EVF image a little brighter, but no other obvious effect. I haven't bothered to try it and view the results on a larger screen. I've been wondering if I got a pre or post film grain XL2.

How did they disable film grain? Is the option removed completely, or does it still "pretend to work?"

Personally I think Canon's approach to this is a bit sloppy considering the price of this beastie. They should either add another "useful" feature (1 KHz tone?), or remove a button and streamline the color bars option.

-cw-
Charlie Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2005, 06:49 PM   #14
Major Player

My XL2 has no film grain indication of any kind - not on the button panel or in the viewfinder. It sounds like you got an older version, even though you just bought it.

-Vence Vida
Old February 22nd, 2005, 11:17 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Oh boy! I can hardly wait to go shoot some fake film with fake grain!! But what would really complete the experience for me would be fake hairs caught in the fake projector! 8-D

-cw-
Charlie Wilkinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders