Anyone in NH or ME own an XL2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old February 25th, 2005, 08:39 AM   #1
Major Player

Anyone in NH or ME own an XL2?

I live in Conway NH and would love to check out an XL2 if someone out there lives failry close to me. Any takers?
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2005, 08:42 AM   #2
Trustee

Hey neighbor, I'm near the Exeter area.

I don't have an XL2, but I have a Z1U if you'd like to check it out. It's probably a 1 1/2 drive though..
Old February 25th, 2005, 08:51 AM   #3
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Christopher C. Murphy : Hey neighbor, I'm near the Exeter area.

I don't have an XL2, but I have a Z1U if you'd like to check it out. It's probably a 1 1/2 drive though.. -->>>

Hi there neighbor! Not sure about the Z1, but I might be interested... do you use it in SD or HD mode? In SD, is it native 16:9 or 4:3? What SD camera were you using before? Thanks!
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2005, 10:12 AM   #4
Trustee

Hi Bill,

I've only used it in HD mode, but apparently from what others have said it's just as good as the PD-170. It's slightly different, of course, because of the basic design elements. But, I've used the PD-170 and this thing blows away any DV camera I've ever held before...including the XL2. My friend has an XL1s and he's selling it to get the Z1U. I haven't shot with the XL2 - only the XL1. So, I can't say anything about the XL2's actually footage from shooting....I've only held it in my hands.

The Z1U is definately something to look into, and there is a great article inthe new DV magazine in regards to the ROI of HDV. Apparently, it's worth the money based on a 4 year depreciation.

Also, my girlfriend and I sometimes drive up your way. If we decide to take a ride we could meet at a diner and you can checkout the Z1. It's a little bigger than the PD-170...I love it personally. The flipout is better than any other camera I've ever seen.

I'll see if I can get the article online and post a link.
Old February 25th, 2005, 01:56 PM   #5
Regular Crew

This may be no help, but I'm from Westford, MA which is very close to the NH border (about 5-10 min. from Nashua). I'm at school in California however, but I'm going to be back home for the last full week in March. If you still haven't found someone by then, I have an XL2 I'd be glad to let you look at. I know it's a pretty lengthy drive from Conway, but if you're interested, just let me know.
Brent Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2005, 01:57 PM   #6
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Brent Ray : This may be no help, but I'm from Westford, MA which is very close to the NH border (about 5-10 min. from Nashua). I'm at school in California however, but I'm going to be back home for the last full week in March. If you still haven't found someone by then, I have an XL2 I'd be glad to let you look at. I know it's a pretty lengthy drive from Conway, but if you're interested, just let me know. -->>>

Hi Brent,
Thanks for the offer -- if I decide to make the trip, I'll let you know!
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders