1610 pelican case at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old April 13th, 2005, 02:50 PM   #1
Major Player

1610 pelican case

I just got my 1610 case from pelican (although I am not getting the XL2 for 2 weeks). Man, it's bigger than I thought!

Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to cut the pick and pluck foam accurately?

Matt
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2005, 03:37 PM   #2
Major Player

I'd make something up when you get the camera. Also search around this forum a bit, people have posted pics of they're XL2's in Pelican cases.

I didn't get the foam since I thought I'd be too fickle with the layout and would want to change it. Ironically, I threw the dividers into place the night before my first XL2 field day. I always figured I'd change it sometime, but that layout still works and I never wasted time redo'ing it.

The moral is: fit the camera in there, then try to imagine a year or two ahead, and don't worry too much about it. The only real "big decision" is whether you transport the camera built or not.

Some people need to unpack the camera and be ready to go. Others believe an assembled camera is more easily damaged in transit.
Jeff Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2005, 05:58 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for tyhe reply, but it wa sa little mis-understood.

What is the best Technique to cut the foam properly? I assume picking and plucking has it's disadvantages.
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2005, 07:02 AM   #4
Major Player

I've read about people immersing the foam in water, _lightly_ freezing it then being able to cut it with an electric carving knife.

One of the concerns about foam is that as it degrades it could turn into dust, which get on/into your camera. To thwart that some people stuck fabric to the foam with adhesive (probably 3M Foamfast77 or something similar).

Search around a bit, the above points and much more were just stuff I read in this very XL2 forum months ago. Good luck!
Jeff Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2005, 07:21 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I cut foam all the time with an electric carving knife. I don't wet and/or freeze it though. I have the Pelican 1600 for my extra gear and sometimes I need to adjust the depth. There are two layers of pick and pluck and for some things I need a depth of only one and a half. I pull the top layer out in the shape I need and do the same for the second layer. I then cut the second layer to the depth I need and stick it back in place.

DON'T use a utility knife! I carving knife (electric) works the best and upholsterers use this method. (That's where I got the idea.)

Dan

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders