Promises unfulfilled... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old April 23rd, 2005, 10:52 AM   #16
Major Player

"Here's to more sushi at Ichiban as soon as possible"

As a quick aside Chris, if you haven't tried Mushashino you are really missing out. By far the best sushi I've had in town.

Stephen, is there somewhere online where those who are interested could get information on the SDK, or the application process for it? I haven't seen anything on Canon's website about it.
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2005, 10:53 AM   #17
Wrangler

WOW, if I'd have known I could have a monikor like "Booth Monkey" here at DVINFO, I'd surely have found a way to get to NAB! ;-)

Stephen, thanks for the words about the SDK, although I'm still not letting Canon off the hook. I just now checked and the SDK link on Canon's download site STILL just opens a window to register for DV Messenger. You'd never know you could get the SDK based on any official Canon info that I've been able to find publically. Unsatisfactory.

FWIW, I have no personal interest in the SDK, but have followed the situation with interest. Among many factors, "Support-After-Sale" counts highly in my book when one buys expensive electronics. So I take note how well (or poorly) customers are taken care of.

Alfredo, if you really want the SDK, sounds like you can sign for a copy. Enjoy!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2005, 11:06 AM   #18
Booth Monkey

Luis,

I don't know of any 'online' Canon SDK info.

Chris,

I'm finishing off the app we spoke about, but later on today I'll try and write up some info for the board. Where shall I put it, do you want me to send it to you first. (my typing disluxiory is well known).

steve
Stephen Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2005, 12:30 PM   #19
Wrangler

Stephen,

Hey, it was good to meet you at NAB. I'm keenly interested in what you end up coding with the SDK. Take care.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2005, 01:07 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Geoff, they're way ahead of you already. But it isn't VHD, it's UHDV: http://www.cdfreaks.com/news2.php?ID=8067

Boyd you haven't seen VHD yet. Blows UHDV away! ;-)

Best Regards,

Geoff
Geoffrey Engelbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2005, 01:15 PM   #21
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Duke
Chris,

I'm finishing off the app we spoke about, but later on today I'll try and write up some info for the board. Where shall I put it, do you want me to send it to you first. (my typing disluxiory is well known).
Hi Steve,

Feel free to send it to me via email, or if you'd rather start a new thread here then you're certainly welcome to do that. I'll let it be your call, whatever you're most comfortable with.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2005, 01:22 PM   #22
Major Player

Stephen,

GREAT to have you here! I didn't think there was any Canon representatives on this or any other board.

I have a question for you or Chris about the XL2 footage that was mentioned earlier in the thread. Is there any chance that those of us who were unable to go to NAB will be able to see it? I would also be very interested in knowing how the camera was set up to shoot it. My only "criticism" of this camera is the documentation. It's probably wonderful if you are an experienced old hand when it comes to shooting video, but for those of us who are just starting out, it leaves a lot to be desired. For example it told me how to adjust the knee setting, but I had to come to this board to understand what a knee setting was and why I might want to adjust it. Now granted the board is GREAT, but it would still be neat to learn from the pros at Canon who design and shoot with this camera what they would do to achieve different results.

Best regards,

Matt
Matthew Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2005, 01:31 PM   #23
Booth Monkey

Matthew,

I'm not a canon rep, but run a production house in new york. However, I am well versed with all things XL.

My production house produced the XL footage you are talking about. I can say that we shot it as the default camera package. - 20x lens etall(sp.)

We had the product developement manager as our client the whole time we shot, from begining to cutting. We were not allowed to use any effects, color timing, other lenses and such like.

It worth seeing the footage, as it shows what a great camera this is, IMHO.

steve
Stephen Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2005, 01:38 PM   #24
Regular Crew

At the risk of sounding like a complete moron...well actually I run that risk every time I open my mouth, but what is SDK? I guess I could maybe understand all of this outrage if I knew what it was and why it was so important.
Kevin Kocak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2005, 01:40 PM   #25
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Matt, just for clarification, Steve isn't a Canon rep any more than I am... we're both members of a group of outside consultants that Canon USA calls upon occasionally to help out with trade shows and the like. It's strictly a freelance gig, similar to the work I've done for Canopus, VariZoom, etc. Canon USA has rather adamantly insisted that it does not want us to refer to ourselves as "representatives" in any sort of capacity, so neither should you. Hope this helps,

Old April 23rd, 2005, 01:43 PM   #26
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Kevin,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kocak
what is SDK?
From my page at http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxl2/xl2skinny.php#features

"Software Developer's Kit -- has potential for a variety of remote camera menu access and camera control options via FireWire; availability to be determined on a case-by-case basis from Canon USA."

Old April 23rd, 2005, 01:52 PM   #27
Regular Crew

So what would the practical applications for this be?
Kevin Kocak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2005, 01:54 PM   #28
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Cherry
Stephen,

GREAT to have you here! I didn't think there was any Canon representatives on this or any other board.

I have a question for you or Chris about the XL2 footage that was mentioned earlier in the thread. Is there any chance that those of us who were unable to go to NAB will be able to see it? I would also be very interested in knowing how the camera was set up to shoot it. My only "criticism" of this camera is the documentation. It's probably wonderful if you are an experienced old hand when it comes to shooting video, but for those of us who are just starting out, it leaves a lot to be desired. For example it told me how to adjust the knee setting, but I had to come to this board to understand what a knee setting was and why I might want to adjust it. Now granted the board is GREAT, but it would still be neat to learn from the pros at Canon who design and shoot with this camera what they would do to achieve different results.

Best regards,

Matt
Matt,

I'm with you on the manual not being helpful. I felt that the explanations of the new XL-2 features on the website were very helpful, including knee, master pedestal, etc. Check it out if you haven't already.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2005, 03:01 PM   #29
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kocak
So what would the practical applications for this be?
For starters, complete control of the camera remotely via FireWire.

Old April 23rd, 2005, 03:07 PM   #30
Regular Crew

What fun is that? That's like driving a race car with a remote control. What's next robo DP's. No just kidding.
That's great... I guess.
Kevin Kocak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders