Need Help Too! New To Xl2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old May 13th, 2005, 01:03 PM   #1
Major Player

Need Help Too! New To Xl2

Hi All,

I'm trying, to find out for sure whether Adobe Premiere 6.5 for the Mac, which is what I've used for years with other software, will be compatible with the XL2 which I'm about to purchase. I know I can get FP5, but I had wanted to avoid that even tho' I can get an educational discount at SDSU, because of the expense. Now, I don't see 60i in Premiere 6.5 under settings. I see 30p, 24p but not 60i. I see 16:9.....Canon says that they think the app will support the Canon...but does anyone out there know? I went to the Premiere forums and Len suggested I ask here. Please help!!! I'm so excited about purchasing this cam and I want to get everything arranged for it. In addition, I thought I'd purchase the 16X servo lens on it's own, not do the rebate, just because of funds.....do you think that's wise. The lens is more controllable and has better res they say than the stock lens, 20x that comes with the cam. Any advice about this? should I just go with the 20x lens and get the other later? or start with the 16x servo lens from the get go? Thanks in advance for any advice!!
Lucinda Luvaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2005, 04:32 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Lucinda,

I would assume (I'm not 100% on this though) that Premiere 6.5 is compatible with the XL2. When you see 60i, what that really means is 30 interlaced frames a second. Check your 6.5 version for a standard DV setting, and I'm sure that would be what you need to use.

Hope that helps.
Adam Rench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2005, 06:56 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Adam. I wasn't sure about the 60interlaced because I've never used it. I'm still thinking of getting FCP because I know it's a deeper program and with such a great camcorder, well I guess it might be a good idea. What are your thoughts on this?
Old May 14th, 2005, 07:22 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucinda Luvaas
I'm still thinking of getting FCP because I know it's a deeper program and with such a great camcorder, well I guess it might be a good idea. What are your thoughts on this?
Lucinda, I'm in the same position as you...I'm trying to get everything in order before I pick up the XL2. When you start asking about NLE programs, everyone will suggest their own favorite. It is probably because they are so similar in their capabilities and it all comes down to user interface and maybe specific quirks.

The advice I hear (and that I plan on taking) is download the trial versions and give them a shot. No one will be able to tell you what is going to work best for you as far as user interface. It all comes down to personal opinion.

What I'll probably end up doing is waiting until I get the camera, shoot some initial footage and then use the trial versions to edit it.

These programs are expensive and you won't be able to get your money back, so the trial version try out is a no-brainer.

I will personally be trying out FCP and Avid on a Mac G5 to start out with.

Good luck!

Kelly
Kelly Wilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2005, 08:26 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Kelly,

Well, Monday I think I'm going to get FCP. If you're in Education the discount is very helpful, let me tell you! that's partly why I'm willing to learn FCP and part from Premiere. I use a number of other apps like Commotion Pro, After Effects, Digital Performer etc., and just use Premiere for capturing and timeline fades, exporting. I don't think you could go wrong with either Avid or FCP. I know that Canon supports the second.

What sort of films do you make? I know we probably shouldn't digress from tech discussions. I only ask because in addition to doing my own work I am the Director and Curator of a Southern California Art Gallery and next Fall we're doing our second "Uncensored Gifts," which is a compilation of video shorts...it will run for the duration of our second exhibition of the season. So, I'm always interested in what people are doing.

Cheers!

Lucinda
Old May 14th, 2005, 08:32 PM   #6
Major Player

hi Lucinda - I would surely go the FCP route! I'm a PC guy myself but would love to go to a MAC and use FCP. Being on the PC I've chosen P Pro and Avid Xpress Pro. Figured that Avid is the highest quality NLE out of those two and so I use that. I haven't bought my XL2 yet, but I'm getting it soon. Still doing my research. But FCP is becoming as good as you can get pretty much. Go for it!!
Old May 15th, 2005, 06:18 AM   #7

Lucinda, I'm curious. Have you considered Sony's Vegas? If you have, and discounted it, I would be interested in knowing why. Thanks!

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2005, 07:12 AM   #8
Major Player

I believe Vegas is PC only right? Lucinda has a MAC if I remember correctly.
Old May 15th, 2005, 02:29 PM   #9
Major Player

Hi Jay,

Yes, I'm a Mac user. I use both, but use Macs for editing, capturing, etc....I was wondering about Avid, but I sense that FCP would be best for what I do. I found out that Premiere doesn't have the 60i setting, so that did it for me.

Now my challenge is to learn how to use the software and the cam! good thing it's summer!

And, I need to integrate these two Macs, so that they can work together, but I know, after dickering with things, that all will be well.

I don't know anything about Vegas, but if it works well for you and has all the appropriate settings, compatability with the Canon, then it's fine. I know some on this forum really like it.

Lucinda
Old May 15th, 2005, 04:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucinda Luvaas
Hi Jay,

Yes, I'm a Mac user. I use both, but use Macs for editing, capturing, etc....I was wondering about Avid, but I sense that FCP would be best for what I do. I found out that Premiere doesn't have the 60i setting, so that did it for me.
That pretty well explains it! Thanks for the clarification.

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2005, 07:50 PM   #11
Major Player

Lucinda,

If I were you, I'd go the route of FCP. Avid is awesome, but in order to learn it you really need to purchase expensive training materials and plug ins are either more expensive or not available. Premiere has a 60i setting, but it's called "29.97 interlaced" mode. You may not want to discard Premiere because you can upgrade to PPro which is an entirely different program (design wise) and it's integration with Adobe's other programs is incredible. If you got the FCP route then I would recommend getting the Studio with the DVD studio and Motion.
Old May 15th, 2005, 10:59 PM   #12
Major Player

Adam,

I'm a Mac user and can't use Premiere Pro. I was pissed when Adobe decided to give FCP the nod for Mac users, mostly because I'm so familiar with Premiere. But, thanks for the tip about 60interlaced....I didn't see any setting for it in Premiere and someone else on one of the forums I've checked out, I think it was Premiere's, said that the app didn't support 60i. So, I'm getting the Suite tomorrow...educational discount, which is quite good.

Thanks for the tip about Avid.

I'll have mucho to learn this Summer!

Lucinda
Old May 15th, 2005, 11:02 PM   #13
Major Player

oh shoot.. forgot that PPro isn't for MACs. You are going to love the FCP suite though. I've not used it, but I've heard only good things about it. I've also heard professionals ask me "Why did you buy Avid when you could have spent the money on FCP instead?" So, that's saying something about how good FCP is.

Good choice. Make sure to keep us up to date on your work!
Old May 15th, 2005, 11:02 PM   #14
Major Player

Adam,

You must be thinking of Premiere Pro because Premiere 6.5/Mac, doesn't feature 60i, 29.97 interlaced...I don't see it.

Lucinda
Lucinda Luvaas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders