Aspect Ratio Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old July 4th, 2005, 05:43 PM   #1
Major Player

Aspect Ratio Question

Hi There,

I shot fireworks last night with my new Canon XL2 and was very pleased. I used 16:9 at 30p. My question is this: I submit my films to TV and to Festivals. Will I be able to use this aspect ration for television submissions? I haven't used 16:9 before and know that this camcorder is really made for 16:9, so I would like to use it. I just read this article and it's what he mentions at the conclusion that has me concerned.....

Many DTV sets use a new aspect ratio, meaning screen shape that's wider relative to its height. Widescreen DTV has an aspect ratio of 16:9 vs. the 4:3 of analog TV. To reduce those commonly used numbers to common denominators, that's 16:9 vs. 12:9, or 1.78:1 vs. 1.33:1. Thus, widescreen proportions are about a third wider. As contemporary movies stick pretty close to the 16:9 ratio, widescreen DTV simply ratifies a decision made by filmmakers starting in the 1950s, when widescreen movies made their debut. Films can be as wide as 3:1. TV programs, on the other hand, are still usually made in the narrower shape that fits analog TV screens, as older movies were made.

So, does anyone have any advice about this? I already shot some scenes in 4:3 and tomorrow I'm going to do them over in 16:9, so I need to know what's bests for outputs to both tv and fests, etc.

Lucinda
Lucinda Luvaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2005, 06:07 PM   #2
Major Player

For watching on tv, a 16:9 dvd is the best option (I think). Everyone has a dvd player and they can either watch it in widescreen on a widescreen tv, or letterbox on a 4:3 tv (or even PS if they want I guess). DVD-R's are also cheap.

I have also wondered about the film festivals. I think many accept minidv now, but I'd be scared that if I submitted an anamorphic 16:9 tape, it woudn't be displayed properly. Otherwise you have to output a 4:3 LB tape and suffer the resolution loss. Anyone have any experience submitting 16:9 minidv tapes to festivals?
Kyle Ringin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2005, 06:16 PM   #3
Major Player

Kyle,

I've always submitted either VHS or DVD's to film fests. Some take miniDV's, but not too many. I'm not sure what to do with all this. I make my own dvd'r's using a panasonic dvd recorder right from the timeline. I use this for backup and for submissions. But this is using 4:3. This is why I need to know if I can use the 16:9 and I assume I can for subs on dvdr's. I guess I'll contact one of the fests I've been in and ask.

But, if any other folks have suggestions I'd sure like to hear. I have a shoot tomorrow and Wednesday.

Lucinda
Old July 4th, 2005, 07:19 PM   #4
Major Player

For your shoot, I'd say definately shoot in 16:9 if you want to output as a widescreen aspect ratio. The only reason to shoot 4:3 is if you are sure you'll only ever want a full frame 4:3 output.

If they accept dvd-r's I'd think they'd accept 16:9 dvds as well. Best to ask them though. I'll be interested to know what you find out.
Old July 4th, 2005, 08:36 PM   #5
Major Player

Kyle,

So what you're saying is that 16:9 can be submitted for tv? As I mentioned, I've shown my work on tv and at fests using 4:3...so you see, I want to make sure that it can be accepted for both tv and fests. I'm almost 100% that it can be accepted for fests and will probably hear tomorrow since everyone is watching fireworks tonight except for those of us workaholics, right Kyle? anyway: I'll let you know.

Best,

Lucinda
Old July 4th, 2005, 11:58 PM   #6
Major Player

Yeah, only workaholics - and those of us in Australia...

Just to be clear - I haven't had anything aired on tv.
You seem to want your video in widescreen.
What I'm saying is I'd shoot 16:9 then, after editing, output to the relevant format that the festival or tv studio accepts. You can supply them anamorphic 16:9, LB 4:3 or whatever.
From what I've heard some tv stations accept dvd and minidv, whereas some won't accept anything unless it is on a professional tape format. If they do accept minidv, then you also need to know if they can handle 16:9 anamorphic minidv tape so it is displayed correctly. I think this is info only the festival or tv station can provide.
Old July 5th, 2005, 12:04 AM   #7
Major Player

Hi Kyle,

I was told by many that 16:9 is higher resolution than 4:3 on this camcorder, uses more of the CCD's and gets more info because it is a longer image. The 4:3 ratio isn't as high res as the 16:9 on XL2.

I have shown my videos on tv many times, but only in 4:3....that's why I'm curious about requirements.

Hopefully, more people out there will be able to give advice.

Say hi to Australia for me!

Lucinda
Lucinda Luvaas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders