DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Blue Barn Pictures XL2 Presets Manager discussion thread (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/48307-blue-barn-pictures-xl2-presets-manager-discussion-thread.html)

Guest August 26th, 2005 07:11 PM

I've been a mac user for a long time, but have a fairly new Sony Vaio that I'm downloading Blue Barn to right now.

While I was downloading it I was thinking that if this program is as good as I think it's going to be, wouldn't it be great if a program be written for pocket organizer devices (like a Palm)?

I don't even carry a Palm or any other electronic organizer, but would buy one specifically for this purpose to allow more mobility (allowing you to slip it into your pocket or camera case).

I don't know, do those devices even have firewire ports? Just curious.

I'm looking forward to trying this out on my Vaio & the Mac version too!

Chris Hurd August 26th, 2005 08:02 PM

Hi Derek,

Such a thing could happen if (and when) there is ever a PDA device running Pocket PC and equipped with FireWire. Unfortunately, no such thing yet exists.

Evan Fisher August 30th, 2005 10:51 PM

Blue Barn Pictures XL2 Presets Manager on Virtual PC

So I downloaded the Blue Barn Pictures XL2 Presets Manager and loaded it up onto my Mac using Virtual PC 7 and Windows XP Pro only to discover that my software does not support firewire. Is there such a thing as a USB - Firewire DV adapter? Is Blue Barn planning a Mac version?

Thanks.

Chris Hurd August 30th, 2005 11:15 PM

Hi Evan,

Sadly there is no such thing as a USB - FireWire converter. The BlueBarn XL2 Presets Manager application is designed to operate only on FireWire-equipped PC's, and there is no other way into an XL2 other than FireWire. There will be a Mac version but I don't yet have an estimated date of availability.

Evan Fisher August 31st, 2005 12:49 PM

Since us Mac users cannot currently use the Blue Barn software, are these presets listed anywhere in a printable form so that I may input them manually?

Patrick King August 31st, 2005 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan Fisher
Since us Mac users cannot currently use the Blue Barn software, are these presets listed anywhere in a printable form so that I may input them manually?

Evan,

The presets are stored here in a format with the suffix labeled .bbp (Blue Barn Pictures). The .bbp files can be opened with Textpad on Windows machines and I can remember what the Mac equivilent to Texpad or Wordpad is, but almost any text editor should work.

Guest August 31st, 2005 01:05 PM

Evan,

Look for "Simple Text" on your Mac!

- - - - - - -

On another note. I've been using this (on my Sony Vaio) for saving presets and I think its awesome. I'm pretty new to this, but can't help to think how many 1,000's of hours this will save XL2 users. Not to mention the creativity it may encourage as a result of making the presets so easy AND QUICK to enter and archive. Thanks again Blue Barn.

Terry Yuen September 2nd, 2005 11:45 AM

Presets compatable with PAL XL2?

When a preset e.g 24p if loaded to a PAL XL2, would it cause undesirable results.

Marty Hudzik September 2nd, 2005 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Yuen
When a preset e.g 24p if loaded to a PAL XL2, would it cause undesirable results.

I don't think that any of the settings stored in the custom presets are "PAL" or "NTSC" specific.....so I would guess no problems. You are really just manipulating how it handles and processes colors and gamma.....but not motion. So there are no 24P 30P or 60i settings stored in these templates. Those settings are hardwired to the physical knob on the XL2.

Anyone agree or disagree?

Chris Hurd September 2nd, 2005 12:43 PM

Agreed. There should be no issue at all in using the Presets Manager with a PAL XL2. The five pages of Custom Preset menu items are identical between the PAL and NTSC versions, and there is no difference in the FireWire connection.

Michael Guarino September 9th, 2005 07:44 PM

I'm having trouble using this program. Every time I try to make it read the camera presets it causes a runtime error and the program shuts down. Does this happen to anyone else, or is it just my computer?

Chris Hurd September 9th, 2005 08:23 PM

Are you certain that your XL2 is connected in the Ext. Cont. power mode?

Terry Yuen September 13th, 2005 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Guarino
I'm having trouble using this program. Every time I try to make it read the camera presets it causes a runtime error and the program shuts down. Does this happen to anyone else, or is it just my computer?

You could check to make sure the the device driver is installed properly. Point it to the C:\Program Files\BlueBarnPictures\Camera Storage 1394 WIA Driver

Evan Fisher September 13th, 2005 08:50 AM

Well, thanks to the folks on DV Info Net and this thread I started to really monkey with my presets. I've been using those that I downloaded from Blue Barn as a place to start and have made some modifications to some of the presets for some looks that I like. Unfortunately, my presets library is growing and managing them manually is a pain. Please Blue Barn, please. We need a version for Mac.

Patrick King September 13th, 2005 01:27 PM

Evan,

Are you willing to share any of the presets you've tweaked and saved?

If so, just open the .bbp file with a text editor, copy the contents to the clipboard, and then paste the contents into this thread. That way anyone else can copy the contents out to their text editor, save the file with the .bbp suffix and load the preset to their cam (mine included).

Thanks in advance!

Patrick

Michael Guarino September 13th, 2005 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd

100% certain.

Michael Guarino September 13th, 2005 06:43 PM

Quote:

You could check to make sure the the device driver is installed properly. Point it to the C:\Program Files\BlueBarnPictures\Camera Storage 1394 WIA Driver

How could I go about changing that?

Thanks.

Terry Yuen September 13th, 2005 07:16 PM

When you connect your XL2 to your computer and turn the power to on, you will see a dialogue box 'hardware found' and finally installing the driver...'windows cannot find the ...' at this point you should click browse and point to the C:\Program Files\BlueBarnPictures\Camera Storage 1394 WIA Driver

Michael Guarino September 14th, 2005 05:08 PM

Quote:

When you connect your XL2 to your computer and turn the power to on, you will see a dialogue box 'hardware found' and finally installing the driver...'windows cannot find the ...' at this point you should click browse and point to the C:\Program Files\BlueBarnPictures\Camera Storage 1394 WIA Driver

Ahh I see. I usually press cancel when that happens, but thanks alot, it works like a charm now!

~Mike

Kalil Jalili September 24th, 2005 08:53 AM

Blue Barn

Hi
I am keep getting these error messages when trying to use it.

I get them when I start it or try to read the presest or load a preset.

Thank you

Chris Hurd September 24th, 2005 10:14 AM

Hi Kalil,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalil Jalili
I am keep getting these error messages when trying to use it. I get them when I start it or try to read the presest or load a preset.

Is the device driver is installed properly? Point it to C:\Program Files\BlueBarnPictures\Camera Storage 1394 WIA Driver

Ben Brown October 25th, 2005 08:30 PM

Presets manager

I've tried the manager on my AMD and my Pent 4 and both systems are returning a runtime error. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Ben Brown

Canon XL2 owner

Chris Hurd October 25th, 2005 08:36 PM

Do you have your XL2 connected, and powered into Ext. Cont. (external control) mode?

Ben Brown October 25th, 2005 08:47 PM

Found the Problem

As soon as I posted the problem, I saw the answer in the prior post.

Thanks, all is working now.

My only renaining problem is the lust for the New Canon HD.

Thanks

Ben Brown

Bill Hamell November 27th, 2005 01:50 AM

My Win XP Pro machine just died will it run on Win 2000?
Thanks,

Bill

Cal Johnson January 18th, 2006 03:51 AM

not working for me...

I don't know what's up, but I can't get the preset manager to send to the camera anymore. It can read the camera's presets, but it cannot send a preset to the camera. It worked the first time I tried, I was able to install the Amelie preset. But since then I just get the run time error message, and the program shuts down. I've read through the entire thread and saw that other people have had the same problem, but fixed it by pointing the device driver to the right application. I did this the first time I plugged the camera in, was able to successfully load the one preset, and then I tried to load another, and that's it. At least I can see the presets, and then set them manually. Any ideas? Sure would be a great little program to have if I could get it to work. I do have the camera set to EXT/CONT setting, powered on, and like I said, pointed the driver to the right spot the first time. If I disconnect the camera, then turn it back on, I don't get the same window that allowed me to browse. Just one that says "what program do you want to use" and another that says "take picture or take no action".

Joseph Andolina January 19th, 2006 02:40 PM

At this time I only have a MAC equipped with firewire, so I need to manually key in the posted presets. This may be a stupid question but, since the adjustments do not have any number settings in camera to coincide with the presets that have been posted like below, how should I really make the adjustments to reflect the settings? If Gamma needs to be at "1", am I toggling that setting slightly up one notch? etc.... And a second question is: has anybody posted more presets somewhere since the original postings? Is there a wealth of presets that people have come up with that has been shared lurking out there somewhere?

[Presets]
Preset Name = TechniC
Gamma = 1
Knee = 1
Black = 2
NR = 0
VDetail = 0
Color Matrix = 1
Color Gain = 4
Color Phase = 0
Red = 2
Green = 3
Blue = -2
SetupLevel = 0
Sharpness = 0
Coring = 0
MasterPed = 0
Description = Barry Green SuperPolarized Technicolor Dream

Cal Johnson January 20th, 2006 01:06 PM

manually setting..

Hi Joseph. As far as I can tell, yes, if it says "1" then that means you'll bump up the slider one notch. You can tell when its zeroed, because it will be a little square in the middle of the slider range. I have noticed that the highest preset setting was 6, and that is the most number of times you can move the indicator up or down the slider range starting from the middle.

I haven't seen any other presets available, would be nice but what a great little program. Now if only I could get it to actually work!

Bill Hawkins April 12th, 2006 10:31 PM

Runtime errors

Every time I try to open a preset I get a runtime error.
When I first installed the driver on my new notebook as soon as the driver was installed, Sonic MYDVD popped up and autoran. I killed Sonic and reopened the preset manager with the same result. I uninstalled Sonic and tried again. This time I could get in without Sonic interfering but I got runtime errors when I tried to open a preset. I wasn't sure which device the driver was installing under so I tested the Canon DVR and found that no longer working.

I reinstalled the driver for that and pointed it to the BlueBarn device driver. Now the DV-PC recorder works fine but I still get the runtime error when I try and view a preset. Any ideas?

Great tool...it runs on my desktop but that isn't very portable.

Thanks in advance

Dale Guthormsen April 13th, 2006 11:20 PM

preset program

Good evening,

With so many postings of having trouble after I got by the one hic up (my own stupidity getting in the way) the blue barn program has been working perfectly. I have been testing out some of the posted presets.
what a great program. It allows me to come up with creative ideas while at the desk and the next day down load them in a heart beat and go give them a try!!!
When I find some I like of my own I will post them.

All I can say is, THANK YOU BLUE BARN PICTURES FOR YOUR TIME AND GENEROSITY!!!!

Bill Hawkins May 17th, 2006 08:02 PM

Problem solved

It all works now. The Runtime errors are gone and this is a wonderful program.

I had to do a clean install to get this going which just goes to show that even the best software can be killed by the default install on a new notebook.

Thanks guys for the good work. As soon as I figure out where to do it I will post a few presets that I have been working on.

Bob Sandifer May 21st, 2006 09:56 AM

Since there appears to be some need for a MAC version of this software do you know if it will run under virtual PC or on a newer mac that can also run windows?

Sorry if I missed this earlier in this growing thread.

Dan Thomson May 25th, 2006 12:34 PM

Mac Version

I would like add my voice to the chorus in advocating for a MAC version of the Presets Manager. Does anyone have any info on whether Canon is going to make good on thier promise of a Mac version of CONSOLE?

Ash Greyson May 25th, 2006 10:48 PM

Now that Macs have gone Intel I dont expect much cross platform development... I love Macs and own 3 but they have a history of leaving people in the dust...

ash =o)

Daniel R Green May 28th, 2006 11:33 AM

Just for you Mac users(with intels) I installed the Presets Manager on my Parallels. Win XP professional on my mac...wierd. But it works. I think any xp emulator for the mac should get you the abality to install the program and use it.
Anyway...great tool...especially the already made presets you guys put up for us newbies to all this.
Post on Intel iMac G5 using Final Cut Express HD

Bob Sandifer May 28th, 2006 12:14 PM

I tried to use the program under virtual PC but the windows Os will not "see" the camera. However, I dont feel like giving up just yet. ;)

Josh Bass May 28th, 2006 01:27 PM

So, did we ever come up with a bunch of presets? I've just found a handful, from searching this site. Like, really a handful. Less than 10.

Guy Krenn May 28th, 2006 06:01 PM

My anti-virus software indicates that the Blue Barn program has "suspicious scripting." Did anyone else experience this? Should I be concerned?

I also note from the disclaimer that Blue Barn reserves the right to "audit" your PC for compliance with the terms of use. Does anyone know what this means?

I hate to sound paranoid and look a gift horse in the mouth but I'm just not familiar with Blue Barn and remain unsure as to whether I should proceed.

Chris Hurd May 28th, 2006 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Bass
So, did we ever come up with a bunch of presets?

If y'all can help me gather them up, I'll put 'em in the preset files download thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=48287

Jay Gladwell June 28th, 2006 02:56 PM

Runtime Error

I've had to reinstall the Preset Manager because I got a new hard drive. Now, I can't get it work. Have tried several clean reinstalls, but no dice.

Is there anyone that would be willing to help me with this over the phone, my nickle?

I so, please e-mail me. jay at gooddogproductions dot com.

Thanks in advance.