DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Blue Barn Pictures XL2 Presets Manager discussion thread (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/48307-blue-barn-pictures-xl2-presets-manager-discussion-thread.html)

Henry Cho June 28th, 2006 02:59 PM

jay, when you connect the xl2 and it prompts you for a driver, are you pointing it to the driver that came packaged with the bluebarn application? it's in a subfolder of the installation directory.

Jay Gladwell June 28th, 2006 03:12 PM

I did the first time, but now that you mention it, it hasn't asked for it again. That dialog box is not coming up. That's probably the problem!

Jay Gladwell June 28th, 2006 04:43 PM

I went into the Device Manager and the proper drivers from Blue Barn are installed. It can "read" the presets on the camera, but it won't set presets to the camera. Does that strike anyone as odd?

I keep getting:

Run-time error '-2147220991 (80040201)':
Automation error
An event was unable to invoke any of the subscribers

Shervin Mandgaryan June 28th, 2006 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Gladwell
I went into the Device Manager and the proper drivers from Blue Barn are installed. It can "read" the presets on the camera, but it won't set presets to the camera. Does that strike anyone as odd?

I keep getting:

Run-time error '-2147220991 (80040201)':
Automation error
An event was unable to invoke any of the subscribers

I get that exact same error as you also, I have no clue what it is about...

Chris Hurd June 29th, 2006 06:16 AM

Sorry to ask this but... you guys are absolutely sure your cameras are powered up in the "Ext. Cont." mode, right? It's the last spot on the power dial.

Jay Gladwell June 29th, 2006 06:27 AM

Yes, "Ext. Cont." mode.

Like I said, it's able to read the presents on the camera. It's able to clear the presets on the camera. So I know it's communicating with the XL2. It simply will not send presets to the camera.

Henry Cho June 29th, 2006 07:22 AM

it's strange the app will see the cam, indicating the driver is being recognized. one more suggestion from me... you could try uninstalling the driver from device manager, connecting your xl2 again, and reinstalling the driver from the 'found new hardware' wizard.

Stephen Duke June 29th, 2006 08:16 AM

Hi Guys,

I'm happy to see so many people have enjoyed this little app. Its been a while since I wrote it, and since my memory isn't as sharp as it used to be, I cant remember what causes the error. I'm working over this weekend, and will not be able to debug the problem for you until next week. A couple of things:

Its been a while since I've picked up a XL2, I think there is a DV Control setting in the system menu, try turning that to ON.

Make sure that you have the latest service pack for XP.

steve

Shervin Mandgaryan June 29th, 2006 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry Cho
it's strange the app will see the cam, indicating the driver is being recognized. one more suggestion from me... you could try uninstalling the driver from device manager, connecting your xl2 again, and reinstalling the driver from the 'found new hardware' wizard.

I just did exactly what you told me to, uninstalled everything Canon XL-2 Related from my PC, installed it with the drivers properly then installed BlueBarn, it still gives me the same problem.

Jay Gladwell June 29th, 2006 08:55 AM

Henry, I tried that yesterday--no go!

Steve, I'll look for that DV control setting. Hopefully that will fix it!

Thanks!

Shervin Mandgaryan June 29th, 2006 08:57 AM

Quote:

Henry, I tried that yesterday--no go!

Steve, I'll look for that DV control setting. Hopefully that will fix it!

Thanks!

I've tried the DV control setting also, its in Menu --> System --> DV Control.

And believe it or not I also have WinXP SP1 and SP2 with all the updates installed.

Jay Gladwell June 29th, 2006 09:07 AM

I turned on the DV control, but it didn't help.

Stephen Duke June 29th, 2006 09:16 AM

Try this

At the camera, go to the preset and confirm that the preset is not locked. (protected)

steve

Jay Gladwell June 29th, 2006 09:28 AM

Yes, I did that, too. At this point, there are no presets in the camera.

Earlier, I did input a preset manually. The Preset Manager was able to read it and ever able to clear it, but it would not input one from the computer.

Greg Boston June 29th, 2006 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Duke
Try this

At the camera, go to the preset and confirm that the preset is not locked. (protected)

steve

I was going to suggest that earlier this morning but Jay said the software will read and clear the presets. I figured if the software can clear them, they aren't locked cause the clear option is disabled in the cam menu when a preset is locked. I fired up my XL2 to confirm this.

-gb-

Cal Johnson June 29th, 2006 12:36 PM

Just to let people know that Jay and Shervin are not the only ones... I'm following the thread and I have the exact same problem, and have tried all the suggestions. I've long since given up trying to use the preset manager to load the presets, I just call up the preset I want on th computer, then enter it in by hand on the camera.

Jay Gladwell June 29th, 2006 04:18 PM

Cal, that makes me feel a little better, knowing it's not just Shervin and me. But just a little. ;o)

Stephen Duke June 29th, 2006 04:39 PM

OK guys, if think I found out why it dosent work on some PC's.

I'll have a fix soon.

steve

Shervin Mandgaryan June 29th, 2006 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Duke
OK guys, if think I found out why it dosent work on some PC's.

I'll have a fix soon.

steve

Stephen,

You are the man!

Kelly Harmsworth June 29th, 2006 10:18 PM

cool! I'm waiting for the fix aswell

Gregory Wilson July 1st, 2006 03:04 PM

Has anyone got BlueBarn to work with Virtual PC?

It would be great if anyone could share some information on how to get Virtual PC to recognize the firewire ports on my Quad G5. Thanks.

Shervin Mandgaryan July 3rd, 2006 10:44 PM

Alright, heres the problem fixture.

Basically it was a windows update issue, I got it fixed simply by updating my PC with all of the windows updates available, I am not specifically sure about which specific update fixes the problem, but I am 100% sure that this problem is caused by an old version of Windows.

So if you have this problem, please update your version of windows and it will be fixed!

Cheers.

Jay Gladwell July 5th, 2006 02:07 PM

I tried that, too, first thing. It didn't help me at all.

Shervin Mandgaryan July 5th, 2006 02:15 PM

Quote:

I tried that, too, first thing. It didn't help me at all.

Are you 100% absolutley positivley sure that your Windows version is updated? I am not the one who programmed the Preset Manager so I can't advise you on the technical aspect but it was a lack of Windows updates that did the trick for me.

Jay Gladwell July 6th, 2006 06:41 AM

Yes, I am 100%, absolutley, positivley sure that my Windows version is updated. As I said, that was the first thing I did after Steve made the suggestion last week.

Jay Gladwell July 6th, 2006 12:23 PM

Shervin, I owe you and apology.

Honestly, I did run an update. Something told me to go back and try again. For some reason SP2 had not gotten loaded. I ran another update and it started loading SP2 and, yes, that did fix the problem.

Again, I apologize.

So much for being 100%, absolutley, positivley sure!

Shervin Mandgaryan July 6th, 2006 01:20 PM

Hey Jay,

Everyone makes mistakes my friend, no need for an apology, even if they are 100% absolutley positivley correct!

So I guess that this concludes that the problem with the run time error when loading your presets on your camera is due to an old version of windows and requires a complete installation of all windows updates.

Thank god! :-)

Eniola Akintoye July 14th, 2006 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik
I have used it and love it.

I am curious how the XL2 responds when in Ext. Ctrl mode. I had the software connected through firewire and also had the XL2 connected to the production monitor via S-video. It appears that in EXT. CTRL mode acts like it is in auto mode. I played with changing settings on the fly and updating the presets and the camera would update and reflect the changes as I submitted them from the software.

However the XL2 defaults to 4x3, 60i and autogain and who knows what color balance.. The changes I made looked different when I went back to manual mode. Unfortunately this makes on the fly adjustments impossible from the software, unless someone else has an idea to work around this.

Other than that it is a great tool.

Was anyone able to figure out how to get the preset to stay the same anytime the knob is switched back to the Manual mode??

Tom York July 14th, 2006 12:16 PM

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick question, I have searched the threads and havent found the answer yet. Has the Blue Barn software been updated for Mac yet? Or has anyone out there used it on an Intel Mac through boot camp?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tom

Peter Dukes July 30th, 2006 10:40 AM

blue barns preset manager problems...

i've been having an issue using the blue barn manager. i installed it correctly (as far as i know), but when i hook my camera up the system and try to pick a preset (or whatever), there's a short delay and then a window pops up indicating an error's occured. then, the whole site shuts down. i've read over a couple of threads where people have talked about having this exact same issue and they discovered the problem was that they realized they hadn't let the blue barn driver know it could install on their camera, so they updated this to remedy the problem.

does this mean anything to you guys? have no idea what i may need to update, but i'd really like to figure it out so i can start messing around w/ blue barn.

thanks.

PD

Eb Samba July 30th, 2006 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Dukes
does this mean anything to you guys? have no idea what i may need to update, but i'd really like to figure it out so i can start messing around w/ blue barn.

PD

Peter

It simply means that you need to do WINDOWS UPDATE on your PC. This can be done by clicking on START then CONTROL PANEL. From the CONTROL PANE, click on AUTOMATIC UPDATES. Then click on Windows update website link to open the Microsoft Update site to do the updates. Make sure you have online connection. Don't forget to restart your PC after updating.
Connect the firewire cable, switch your XL2 to EXT. CONT. mode and then start the Blue Barn Manager. Have fun.
Eb

Peter Dukes August 2nd, 2006 08:22 PM

eb,

followed your instructions. turns out my microsoft already automatically updates my computer every night. still, i restarted my computer (just in case), connected my camera, turned it to EXT CONT, and opened up blue barns. same thing. well, this time i was actually allowed to save custom settings, but the site would still shut down if i tried to choose one of the presets (1, 2 or 3) at the top of the page. this may be because i am not fully understanding what the manager is supposed to do for you, but i have to manually type in each setting before saving it. i can't (unless i'm doing it wrong) download custom presets from my camera to blue barns, or vice versa. at this point, it works only as a glamorized presets folder. i still have to manually type a custom preset into my canon if i want to mess with it. argg!! earlier, someone had mentioned uninstalling, then re-installing the file. i guess i'll give that a try.

thanks for your advice. if any other ideas pop into your head, or something i'm doing in the paragraph above strikes you as incorrect, please let me know. would love to get the most out of this manager.

PD

Allan Beecroft August 3rd, 2006 07:31 AM

Had another thought Peter.

How many firewire ports do you have on your computer and how are they configured (i.e. are they built in or or fitted in an expansion pci slot at the back of your pc ?).

Maybe you could try a different firewire port if you have more than 1. I know you're able to use the XL2 with other software using this firewire port, but some software code acts differently in how it reads external interfaces etc. An example being the Canon Console software. It kept saying my XL2 was not connected, yet I could connect to Serious Magic's DV Rack and Sony Vegas 6 capture software using the same port. I had three seperate firewire ports in pci slots at the back of my pc. Changing to a different one resolved the issue.

Just another thought.

Good Luck.

Allan

Dan Gadd August 3rd, 2006 09:36 AM

Hey Ash,
I shoot football on a regular basis, so I've loaded what I believe is your "sports" preset onto my XL2, and I had a couple of questions about some of the settings in there. First of all I was curious why you reduced the "sharpness". Is that to improve motion? I had normally increased my sharpness slightly, so I found it interesting that you had it lowered. Second, I noticed that you slated that preset for 30p shooting. I'm not sure what kind sports you use that preset for, but do you find it difficult to follow the action with the stuttering that occurs in 30p? I've found it difficult to follow fast moving action such as the the ball in the air in 30 or 24 mode. Is it something you've just gotten used to? Thanks.

Jarrod Whaley August 3rd, 2006 11:47 AM

Dan--

Just thought I'd point out that a shutter speed of 60 Hz in 30p will give you a nice motion blur that will mitigate the "stuttering" of the motion somewhat.

Peter Dukes August 3rd, 2006 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allan Beecroft
Had another thought Peter.

How many firewire ports do you have on your computer and how are they configured (i.e. are they built in or or fitted in an expansion pci slot at the back of your pc ?).

Maybe you could try a different firewire port if you have more than 1. I know you're able to use the XL2 with other software using this firewire port, but some software code acts differently in how it reads external interfaces etc. An example being the Canon Console software. It kept saying my XL2 was not connected, yet I could connect to Serious Magic's DV Rack and Sony Vegas 6 capture software using the same port. I had three seperate firewire ports in pci slots at the back of my pc. Changing to a different one resolved the issue.

Just another thought.

Good Luck.

Allan

allan, thanks for the tip. i'll try that. if that doesn't work, i may have to just bury my head in my lap, sob, then get over it. quick question. what's the canon console software? i've heard a few people bring that up. do i need that for blue barn to work correctly?

Allan Beecroft August 4th, 2006 07:30 AM

Hi Peter,

No, you don't need Canon Console for the pre-sets manager. It's basically a piece of software that interfaces with the XL2 to give you control over many functions from the PC. I quite like it as at the moment, I'm useless at steady shots. Everytime I use the focus or zoom, I get quite a bit of jitter in the picture (even with the optical Image Stabalizer). Probably coz my tripod is crap :-)

A lot of my shooting will be tripod based so I'll invest in a good one. Having said that, the Console software gives you full control over a lot of parameters (focus, zoom, color gain, aperture, shutter etc, etc without touching the camera. I also capture a lot directly to pc, so the monitor and scopes in the software help me a lot. I use the camera a lot without the software, but sometimes, it's great for me to have for some of the work which means not having to go in the menu of the camera and set knobs and dials etc.

You can check out the software here and get a trial version:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=10350

Check the minimum requirements before you install it because it is pretty CPU intensive. It's worth trying, but it's not for everyone.

Good luck with the pre-sets manager.

Allan

Dan Lim August 5th, 2006 10:28 AM

run-time error

when i use this preset manager ,this is what happen :

run-time error -2147467259 (80004005)':

what this mean ?

Paul Green August 9th, 2006 02:10 PM

Mac version?

First of all, thanks for your hard work on developing this application! I love the idea of software integration into a production workflow.
I think I've read through this thread pretty thoroughly, so forgive me if I missed the announcement...but has anyone managed to port this for OS X?

David Calvin August 9th, 2006 03:10 PM

Apple did it for you

Just by an Intel mac and off you go!

:-)