Playback and Recording troubles at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 8th, 2005, 08:56 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Playback and Recording troubles

I recently (less than a month ago) bought an XL2. I was shooting a wedding two weeks ago and everything was fine. Then I got to the reception, popped in a new tape, and the screen read "heads dirty." I tried to record, but the image distorted and there were pixelated lines all over the screen. Thinkking it was just a bad tape, I took it out and put in a new one. No problem, I recorded the rest of the event with no trouble.

Now when I go to review any footage on ANY tape (even ones I shot with my old XL1s), the same thing happens. I get lines where I can see half of the correct image and half blue screen. When I record, there are occasional digital glitches that shake the image and screw with the sound. Canon suggested a head cleaner but that hasn't helped. Any ideas from this crowd?

Last edited by Corey Aumiller; September 8th, 2005 at 08:57 AM. Reason: (spelling)
Corey Aumiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2005, 09:17 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

What brand(s) of tape are you using?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2005, 09:53 AM   #3
Regular Crew

fujifilm dvc cassette - same brand I've always used in my XL1s.
Corey Aumiller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders