audio issues with XL2 + XLR Mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 16th, 2005, 01:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

audio issues with XL2 + XLR Mic

im getting a bunch of static when using my azden mic i have have audio i can hear it but this static is crazy, i know its not the wire i have replaced it and i have no way of getting another azden mic to test with, i would like to know if its the mic or the camera, could i use a a Singers XLR mic in place to test with or should i try and get another mic like mine to test with?

thanks for any help
Mike

XPS P4 3.4, 1 gig ram, 100gig HDD,
Ati Radeon 9800 256MB ram
Premiere Pro & After Effects

XL2 with Azden 2X SGM
Michael Lopresti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 04:24 PM   #2
Wrangler

What is the static like? Can you describe it - intermittent, with a burst pattern, low or high level, etc.

You could try conect the Azden output to a stereo system and see if you get the same issues (be sure to use line level output to line level input; e.g., aux). Also try connect another mic to the camcorder to see if you get static.

Static could also represent interference in some venues. My cell phone causes periodic funky static nosie in my PC sound system and my low cost radio when it does handshaking with the cell phone towers. mIt coude even be something simple like or even bad cables.
Old September 16th, 2005, 05:06 PM   #3
Regular Crew

it sounds like a tv with no reception, but if i talk i can hear it aswell as the static. no its not EMI.

ill take my mic to my friends band and hook it up to thier amp.

am i able to conect a singers MIC to the camera or is there a voltage difference? if the singers mic is phantom i just set the camera to +48 right?

no it not the wire i bought a new one to test with, same thing.

Mike

XL2 with Azden 2X SGM
Old September 17th, 2005, 06:35 PM   #4
Wrangler

Is the static at about voice level? How is the voice?
Old September 19th, 2005, 12:13 PM   #5
Major Player

if the singers mic needs pahantom, you're right, just flip the 48v switch on. I would, like you said, try your mic on another system or try another mic on the camera and see what happens.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 02:11 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Don,
the static is really loud but you can still hear voices or room sounds, but low cuz of all the static.

Andrew,
Thanks ill do that :)

cheers
Mike

XL2 with Azden 2X SGM
Old September 19th, 2005, 07:47 PM   #7
Wrangler

Be sure that you don't have the att switch in the on position. It's a little switch in the back under the +48 phantom switch. I had an Okatva condenser mic plugged in with the att switch inadvertently in the on position. When I adjusted my levels on the camera meters, I had the static you describe. It's easy to miss that switch. If it is on, be sure to turn down the gain before you switch it off.

Hopefully this is all it is instead of something more serious. But your description sounds exactly like what I had with the scenario I described. Also, the singer's mic you mentioned is likely a dynamic mic since they are a little more rugged and stand up to high SPL's better. If it is dynamic, it doesn't use phantom power so be sure the switch is off.

Good luck,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 08:15 PM   #8
Regular Crew

thankx Greg

but i have that Att on and off, same thing

XL2 with Azden 2X SGM
Old September 19th, 2005, 08:21 PM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Lopresti
thankx Greg

but i have that Att on and off, same thing
Well, Michael you have to start substituting now to troubleshoot this. Take your mic to another camera if you can and test to see if the problem follows the mic. Or, as you mentioned, plug a different mic into your camera and see what happens. Doing both of these should pinpoint the issue. BTW, are you monitoring the sound via headphones right out of the rear of the camera? If not, you should do that at this point to eliminate anything else in the signal chain That's my official technician advice for you.

Good luck,

=gb=
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders