Audio input from Aircraft at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 21st, 2005, 07:19 AM   #1
New Boot

Audio input from Aircraft

Hi all,

I need to have the audio from an aircraft radio system input to the XL2 during a shoot. I will be filming another aircraft during tests to determin the air flow over parts of the structure.

Does anyone know which pins to use on the back of the XL2 (mic in) and any info on connector part numbers?

What is the impedance as I may need to do some matching?

Many thanks

Paul
Paul Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2005, 08:06 AM   #2
Major Player

Why not just get/rent a batter operated aviation frequency radio with a standard audio out. (Generally not good to be connecting non-spec electrical things to aircraft your travelling in. :) )

Or even just have someone on the ground recording with something like this:
http://www.icomamerica.com/products/avionics/a23/

Good luck
Old September 21st, 2005, 08:31 AM   #3
New Boot

I am an aircraft electrical / avionics engineer and so have no problem with the aircraft connection or any safety issues associated with this connection. I need to make a cable that will connect to the headphone output of the aircrafts intercom system which will then be recorded to the tape will have the conversations between the pilot and myself and also the transmissions of the other aircraft.
Old September 21st, 2005, 10:22 AM   #4
Major Player

if the aircraft already has a headphone output, you can probably just go strait into the camera with the proper cable and maybe an adapter, depending on the type of jack it is.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005, 11:53 AM   #5
Major Player

I might be doing the same thing for a project someday. The best thing I came up with was putting lav mics in an unused headset and record everything that happens on the intercom. That's not a super solution but the plane will be a rental and I don't want to be messing with it a lot. And it'd be harder to blame me for interferring with the plane.

Interested to know what you do!

Last edited by Jeff Miller; September 22nd, 2005 at 11:56 AM. Reason: it's my way, my way or the tri-county bipass
Jeff Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005, 01:05 PM   #6
New Boot

It is actually the ch3 and ch4 inputs on the camera itself.
I need to know which pin of the 3 is mic hi and mic lo or is mic lo the case of the connector?

Is there a connector part number?
Old September 22nd, 2005, 01:32 PM   #7
Major Player

XLR pins are shield, positive and negative.
Here's a pinout
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/theatre/sta...ection-25.html

If you are looking for the plug itself you can get them at any good electronics shop, and yes, even Radio Shack has them.
Jeff Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005, 01:38 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Coming from a headphone output, it might be more desireable to make an unbalanced adapter cable to go from the headphone out to a 1/4" plug. This could go into a direct box and then on to the camera via a balanced XLR cable.

If it were my camera I would feel better using a DI box instead of a direct connection. It might also help to tame the signal down to mic level. 'Just a thought.
There's no way for you to know if what I'm saying is true unless you know what the truth is, and there's no way for you to know what the truth is unless there is a truth that you can know. -- Frank Peretti
Jeremy Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005, 01:46 PM   #9
New Boot

Thanks all, just what I needed.

Will let you know how it goes.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 08:19 AM   #10
Major Player

In an emergency just tape a lav.mic directly to the earpiece of the headset, I have done that with success in the past
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders