Shooting for Broadcast News Footage: 16x9 or 4x3? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 22nd, 2005, 11:47 AM   #1
New Boot

Shooting for Broadcast News Footage: 16x9 or 4x3?

Hey all,

I am filming the first ever procedure for a new Cardiology technique tommorow and several news agencies would like to use the footage for their packages mainly CNN and ABC. I haven't gotten in touch with them because its been a bit hectic here and there. But its already lined up with our media relations department.
I will be shooting w/ a XL2 camera, and we want to use the footage for our own purposes for DVD, and documentary purposes. For me, I like the 16x9 look and its a bit higher quality for the XL2. Its the first one, so capturing the first case is key.

I could shoot 16x9 throw it in a 4x3 timeline and then print to tape and send it off for them. Do news agencies take/accept this "widescreen footage"? I know its DV footage too- so it won't be up to traditional "broadcast" quality. Also for this, should I stay away from 24p and 30p and just stick with 60i mode?

So astheically and techincally, are there any suggestions from anyone?

I know this is a bit scrambled, but would love some suggestions.

thanks
Michael
Michael D. Shivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005, 03:21 PM   #2
New Boot

After several phone calls and a few tests I will probably go with 4x3. Why? Well we have to capture the Cine Film (live x-ray footage of the vessels that are being worked on) of the Cath and I am using a scan convertor. Its a SD 4x3 signal and using a switcher to cut back in forth live with 16x9 won't work. Both signals (camera, cine film) are going into a DV deck and being switched by a live switcher. So going to shoot 4x3 and will mess around with 24p and 30p in the morning so see what it looks like with the cine.

Still if other people have suggestions- there may be people with similar interests as mine.

Michael
Michael D. Shivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005, 07:58 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael D. Shivers
After several phone calls and a few tests I will probably go with 4x3. Why? Well we have to capture the Cine Film (live x-ray footage of the vessels that are being worked on) of the Cath and I am using a scan convertor. Its a SD 4x3 signal and using a switcher to cut back in forth live with 16x9 won't work. Both signals (camera, cine film) are going into a DV deck and being switched by a live switcher. So going to shoot 4x3 and will mess around with 24p and 30p in the morning so see what it looks like with the cine.

Still if other people have suggestions- there may be people with similar interests as mine.
Dear Michael,

I'm glad you decided on the 4x3 format. News networks aren't interested in or in some cases can't handle 16x9. I would suggest that I know next to nothing about progressive modes, but I'm just assuming, (I know my bad) that 24 or 30p will make matching the scan speed of the Cath much more difficult, if not impossible.

And again, decent coverage of the event is much more important to CNN and ABC than if the footage has a "film look". Better to be safe than sorry. IMHO, just concentrate on shooting it to the best of your, (I'm sure) very talented ability.

Good luck,

Steph
Stephanie Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders