Film Dailies at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old December 5th, 2005, 12:06 PM   #1
New Boot

Film Dailies

OK, I'm new to the forum so a BIG hello to everyone. We have been well pleased with the XL2 thus far.

At present we have about 10hours of tape to go thru and needless to say I will be logging many more hours on the sofa. We have a super wide sreen tv that displays the footage very well, but this tv is not always available. I have set the camera up on other tvs but it compresses the frame and does not show it in 16:9 as it was shot. I really need to see the film as it will be produced. I called Canon but found little help. I've tried S - video too and it always comes up compressed to fit the screen.

How do others manage this.

Thanks, Daniel
Daniel Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 12:47 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You have both solutions. Watch it with a tv that will screen 16x9 or watch it 'squeezed' on one that won't.

You COULD capture all the footage on you NLE, and transfer to DVD and screen it on a regular TV. The players usually 'letterbox' the footage for you... but I'm guessing that's counterproductive in terms of the time element. You may as well watch the footage on your NLE monitor.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 12:53 PM   #3
New Boot

yo

Thanks I'll go for the NLE monitor approach. Just waiting on our G5 Quad which is not here yet.

Also I've noticed that when I run it thru the NLE it is squeezed until I capture it all. This takes a while and the point is I want to only capture certian bits. Any way to just watch it quickly on the NLE in 16:9?
Old December 5th, 2005, 01:09 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Black
Thanks I'll go for the NLE monitor approach. Just waiting on our G5 Quad which is not here yet.

Also I've noticed that when I run it thru the NLE it is squeezed until I capture it all. This takes a while and the point is I want to only capture certian bits. Any way to just watch it quickly on the NLE in 16:9?
If you are using FCP, just select an anamorphic capture preset and the log & capture window will put it back into the correct aspect ratio.
Old December 5th, 2005, 01:22 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks I will try this as I am using FCP
Old December 5th, 2005, 08:32 PM   #6
New Boot

when setting the anamorphic capture preset will this degrade the video at all?

Thanks! DB
Daniel Black is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders