Which Pelican case? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old March 7th, 2006, 12:13 AM   #1
Major Player

Which Pelican case?

I'm trying to decide on which case to buy for my (future) XL2 and I'm thinking a hard case is the way to go. The XL2s I use at work are in Portabrace cases, but I think my shooting locations require more protection on the way.
So now I'm looking at the Pelican 1610 case. I know there are a few posts discussing cases, but is this case adequete for the XL2 and a few accessories - by any chance does anyone have a picture of the case with the camera in it just so I can get some perspective?

thanks

edit - after doing a bit more searching around, I found a lot more information in regards to what I was looking for, so if anyone wants to delete this, feel free.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 06:54 AM   #2
Major Player

1610 is great. I have tons of stuff packed away in mine (xl2, 7inch lcd, two 945's Ch 910, 3 X lens, 20X lens, Cavision rails and Matte box
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 02:40 PM   #3
Major Player

that's what I like to hear - I plan to fill it with a lot of stuff. Did you go with the foam or with the padded dividers?
Old March 7th, 2006, 02:57 PM   #4
Major Player

I went with the pick n' pluck foam. Lay your equip out on top, and trace the outline with toothpicks sticking out of the foam... then start picking and plucking!
Old March 7th, 2006, 04:04 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Nayman
1610 is great. I have tons of stuff packed away in mine (xl2, 7inch lcd, two 945's Ch 910, 3 X lens, 20X lens, Cavision rails and Matte box

Hello Matthew,
Did you purchase your case from an online store; if so, do you mind stating which one?

Any info. will be greatly appreciated.
Old March 7th, 2006, 04:31 PM   #6
Major Player

I got my Case fro Custom Case Co. It operates out of Ottawa Ontario.

Quite good service,
Old March 7th, 2006, 04:52 PM   #7
Inner Circle

1610 with foam for a GREAT price
http://pelican-case.com/1610.html

I have the 1610, but I prefer the padded dividers. I can rearrange the padding depending on what I'm carrying. Extra audio gear, lenses, or small light set. You'd be surprised how much I can get into the box with the camera, and its all nicely padded and 'secured' with velcro.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 03:40 PM   #8
Major Player

okay, one more quick question - these Pelican cases can be used both horizontally on wheels or carried like a suitcase, so will it hold the camera standing up normally, or do I have to put the camera on its side in order to use the 1610?
Old March 8th, 2006, 04:34 PM   #9
Inner Circle

The idea of the packing is to cradle the camera no matter what position the case is in. In other words, once the lid is closed, whatever is in there is surrounded by foam padding. Up, down, sideways... it's resting on foam.

As it happens, the way I pack my camera, when I open the lid, I lower the camera body into it's section by the handle. So as you look down on the camera, you see the top of the handle. The lens and both viewfinders are removed, and packed seperately in THEIR compartments. I don't worry about anything in the case, regardless of the orientation to gravity.

And I put a LOT of stuff in my case. Again, I use the dividers. Not only are the dividers themselves padded, but they come with other dividers and 'straps' that I use to velcroe the articles down into place.
Old March 8th, 2006, 04:53 PM   #10
Major Player

The only reason I was wondering about the orientation of the camera is because I'm just concerned about the viewfinder being stressed by the weight of the camera if I carry it on its side, but I see that this isn't an issue if the camera is diassembled. If I put the camera in the case on its side, with the handgrip side down, will there be enough room on top of the lid so the vf isn't pushed down? What about putting it in the case in its normal orientation? At this point, I don't know if I'll be getting dividers - still thinking about it, but I'm assuming that there is foam on the bottom of the case under the dividers, correct?
Lastly, is there anything I should avoid in terms of how I place the camera in the case? I'd rather not disasseble it each time I need to pack it, simply because I like to be able to pull it out and shoot whenever I need to, and removing the lens often will get dust on the sensor (my DSLR is horrible in that regard).
thanks
Old March 8th, 2006, 06:04 PM   #11
Inner Circle

My partner kept his xl1 in a foam case. As I recall, he plucked the foam so that the entire camera, with viewfinder and lens attached, would rest on it's bottom in the case.

In other words, when you opened the case, you would be looking down on the top of the camera handle and viewfinder. It was very stable, and never had any problems.

DO a search on the case discussion threads. Some people dissassemble when travelling some don't. I'm of the dissassemble school of thought. There was a recent post by a guy who had his 16x manual lens SPLIT because he apparently had the camera assemebled, and the case was dropped, and the lens wasn't properly supported, and so it broke.

I understand wanting the camer to be 'ready to go' right out of the case. I have a large canvas bag I use for 'toting' the camera, as opposed to shipping/traveling with it. The canvas bag is great for putting the camera on the back seat, with some tapes and extra batts, and driving around for a shoot.

Regarding the dividers. Think of a foam 'box' that is lined with ripstop and nestled inside the case. Frankly, I wanted some extra padding, so I lifted the divider box out, slipped an extra 1/4 inch of foam on the bottom, and then put the liner back in. The advantage of the liner is that the foam won't tear, or shred over time. (And yeah, the pick and pluck eventually starts to come loose) With the tray/liner combo, I put some extra padding between the liner and the wall of the case, no worries. I also have velcroe straps that I use inside the liner to secure things extra tight.

YOu might also want to look into STORM cases. Lots of folks like them better than Pelicans, and they are a bit cheaper. I believe. Charles Papert swears by them.
Old March 8th, 2006, 06:06 PM   #12
Major Player

I packed mine sideways, so when opening you look at the camera in profile. It rests on the tape door, VTR hand grip and Microphone. I left some foam strategically placed under the lens and body to support it, and this way when I stand up my case, it rests on it's bottom...
Old March 8th, 2006, 06:56 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I really wish I would have bought the 1610 instead of the 1550 now!! Here's why....

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b347/oldrocker/a.jpg

and

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b347/oldrocker/b.jpg

I just ran out of room way too fast...
Old March 8th, 2006, 07:10 PM   #14
Major Player

very good points from everyone. I did read the thread about the lens breaking in half, and it is a concern, which is why I'm thinking of not going with dividers and going with the plucking foam in order to fit the camera more precisly.
The sideways orientation you mentioned is what I have in mind.
thanks for all your help
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders