New XL-2 tomorrow, anything we MUST do first? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old March 22nd, 2006, 07:45 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Khalil
What did you already try? All you need to do is plug it into your computer, switch it to VCR mode, then in Premiere, go to file>capture. The you should be able to just hit the "tape" button and it will start capturing at the current point on the tape, so make sure it's rewound. Sorry if that sounds really basic, I know you're probably a lot more experienced than that, just trying to make sure we're on the same page and trying to figure out exactly what isn't working.
I am in VCR mode. I have rewound the tape. I go to Premiere, open a new project, custom project, CAPTURE project...

I go to File > Capture

The device is OFFLINE.

I have the firewire cord hooked up from the camera to the port in my comp... In VCR mode, the words "DV IN" come up, which seems wrong for what I need (DV OUT??)...

OK I see the tape button. BUT it is greyed out because the XL-2 isn't showing up...
Joe Desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 07:54 PM   #32
Major Player

what do you have device control set to? try checking that. Also, try hitting play on the camera and see if anything shows up - from what you say, everything appears to be working, it just seems there's a setting somewhere that needs to be tweaked. I'd be a lot more specific, but I don't actually have premiere at home, I only use it at work so I'm just going from memory here.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 07:58 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Quote:
what do you have device control set to? try checking that. Also, try hitting play on the camera and see if anything shows up - from what you say, everything appears to be working, it just seems there's a setting somewhere that needs to be tweaked. I'd be a lot more specific, but I don't actually have premiere at home, I only use it at work so I'm just going from memory here.
Yea I've tried that whole press play thing. Nothing.

The fact that the screen on my XL-2 says DV IN is getting to me... Is that right?

The device settings in Premiere are:
DEVICE: DV/HDV Device Control
Current device: Generic
Vid Standard: NTSC
DEVICE BRAND: Generic
DEVICE TYPE: Autodetect
CHECK Status: Offline

Preroll time: 2 seconds
Timecode offset: 0 frames
Old March 22nd, 2006, 08:26 PM   #34
Major Player

that's really weird - I've actually found Premiere to be a lot less finicky than FCP in terms of connections, does the camera work in say Windows Movie Maker? Have you tried restarting the computer with the camera plugged in? Hopefully someone with a deeper knowledge of premiere will chime in.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 08:57 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Quote:
that's really weird - I've actually found Premiere to be a lot less finicky than FCP in terms of connections, does the camera work in say Windows Movie Maker? Have you tried restarting the computer with the camera plugged in? Hopefully someone with a deeper knowledge of premiere will chime in.
Windows movie maker says there is no capture device connected...

Again, I have a feeling this has to do with the DV in/out thing. Right at the firewire connector on the XL-2, it says DV IN/OUT, but there is no switch. So I plug this in and on screen the words DV IN pop up... I think that may be the problem because nothing is recognizing this camera...

Any ideas?
Old March 22nd, 2006, 09:33 PM   #36
Major Player

The firewire port can function as both an in or an out and the camera will automatically detect whether the signal is coming to it or not. Are there any other firewire devices connected to your computer? I'll check if there are any other settings I forgot to mention.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 03:36 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Can anyone give me a quick tutorial on how to capture video from the XL-2 in Premiere...

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

**Update**

So I yanked out the firewire PCI card. I got pissed. Pulled it out of the PCI slot that it fit into easily and JAMMED IT INTO the one right next to it, supposedly the same, and it finally budged in. Windows started up. Drivers installed automatically, again.

BUT WAIT. Canon XL-2 installed this time too. Horrible!

Now I captured. Footage is uploading, I have another quesiton for that in regards to 24pa...

Next post in 10 minutes.

Last edited by Joe Desmond; March 23rd, 2006 at 06:58 PM.
Joe Desmond is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders