DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL2 best picture setting (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/70430-xl2-best-picture-setting.html)

Bill Hamell July 12th, 2006 02:21 PM

Jack,

I did this quick and dirty and do not remember I think I left it on auto focus.

On the rain clip I did that all on manual.

If I remember more I post another reply.

Thanks,
Bill

Oh, I left out the scene that shows I-95 running through the middle of it. :-(

Jack Barker July 12th, 2006 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Hamell
...Oh, I left out the scene that shows I-95 running through the middle of it. :-(

LOL!

I-95 runs through here about 4 miles from my house - Lawrenceville (near Princeton), NJ.

Cal Johnson July 13th, 2006 02:58 PM

Tariq, have you tried using warm cards to get a richer look? I'm really surprised you're struggling to get a likeable picture out of the XL2, I had just the opposite impression when I started using mine, I think the picture quality is great.

Bruce S. Yarock July 14th, 2006 06:51 AM

Ash,
I have shoot on Sunday, and I showed the director some footage with this preset in 30p.He loved the look and wants me to use it.I'm also bringing my FX1 as a second camera. Any idea on a tweak for the FX1 to give it a similar look?
By the way, I also used this preset inside in questionable light, and when I got home it looked red/orange (though it looks great in decent light or outside).I shoot with the fu-1000 viewfinder and don't have an on cam monitor, so I couldn't see the colr,etc till later.
Thanks
Bruce Yarock

gamma-cine
knee-high
black-press
color gain-2 clicks higher
color phase-1 click higher
green gain- 1 below center
blue gain-1click higher
set up level- 2 below
master ped-2 below
color matrix-cine

Jack Barker July 14th, 2006 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock
...I also used this preset inside in questionable light, and when I got home it looked red/orange (though it looks great in decent light or outside)...

(Butting in) Bruce, did you white balance again when you shot inside?

Bruce S. Yarock July 14th, 2006 09:58 AM

Jack,
Unfortunately I didn't, butI did some testing at home. I white balanced inside the house and tried my custom preset, and two others, with both auto wb and manual.Regardless, the custom preset was darker and a bit more red/ orange either way. I tested the default xl2, a custom low light preset, and the cine-saturated one under the same conditions.
You live in a great area...my sister is in Princeton Junction.I miss the northeast.
Bruce Yarock

Jack Barker July 14th, 2006 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock
You live in a great area...my sister is in Princeton Junction.

No kidding? That is my local train station.

Bruce S. Yarock July 14th, 2006 10:15 AM

She lives on Park Hill Terrace.
Bruce Yarock

Bill Hamell August 7th, 2006 05:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bruce I like this preset... Here's a frame grab.

3x lens 1/48 f:5.6 ND on w/PL

Bill

Bruce S. Yarock August 7th, 2006 10:28 PM

Beautifull shot, Bill.
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com

Mike Andrade August 8th, 2006 07:47 PM

Bill,

That shot of the hummingbird on the fence wire was great as well. You really got a good shallow DOF on it. How far away were you?

Bill Hamell August 9th, 2006 02:37 AM

Bruce,

Thank you, it is a great preset.

Mike,

Thank you, I was about 20 to 25 feet away.

Bill

Djee Smit August 9th, 2006 11:31 AM

How do you change these settings on a xl2, like the gamma? do you need the remote to do that or can you do that in the menu on the body? 'cause I have an xl2 at home at the moment, and I just don't seem to find these options

Jarrod Whaley August 9th, 2006 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djee Smit
How do you change these settings on a xl2, like the gamma? do you need the remote to do that or can you do that in the menu on the body? 'cause I have an xl2 at home at the moment, and I just don't seem to find these options

They're in the "custom preset" menu.

Jack Barker August 9th, 2006 12:12 PM

Here's a page worth looking at for a quick guide to where everything is in the menus - and it's right here on DVi, thanks to Chris Hurd.

http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxl2/articles/article03.php