Low Light or Night settings with little noise - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old July 18th, 2006, 10:41 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Using Premier Pro to edit 24p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon Lyon
I am trying to import 24p (3:2) or Normal, not advanced and I am importing into Premier Pro 2.0, not to Final Cut. Any thoughts?
Devon
I use my XL2 to capture footage using 24p frame rate setting and then edit it with Premier Pro 2.0 (DV-24p editing setting). I only use this setting(DV-24p) if the footages were captured in 24p. I never had any difficulty capturing the footages into P Pro 2.0 or editing it.
You did mentioned the word IMPORT. What do you mean?

This is how I do it.
Make sure the entire footage was shot in 24p (using your XL2's 24p). From your PC start Premier Pro 2.0. then choose <NEW PROJECT>. From the New Project's dialogue box, choose <DV - 24P> preset folder. Expand the folder by clicking on the <+> Tap if its not expanded. You will have 4 options. Make sure you select the correct setting. The next thing is to specify a folder and a name for your Project. Then click <OK> To open Premier Pro 2.0.
Once Premier Pro 2.0 has loaded, you must use it(PPro) to capture your 24p footages. To do this, hit F5 on your keyboad to open the capture window. and then you can start capturing your 24p footages.
This is the way I have been doing it. I hope this help. Other PPro users can also weigh in.
Eb Samba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2006, 12:03 AM   #17
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eniola Akintoye
Anyways, I tried your presets using the BlueBarn software and I did get some noise but I think the preset did not work because when I changed the control knob all the way to manual, and then changed the settings control to the preset you gave above, it seems not work, whereas, when the knob was at the Ext. Control, I could see the colors, crushed blacks etc. Does anyone knows what I am not clicking, changing etc?
You engage custom presets using the two buttons under the handle. One toggles through and the other turns it on and off. If you don't see 'CP#' in the vf, you don't have it on. You won't actually see the '#' character, you'll see either 1,2, or 3 depending on which CP you have called up.

Hope this helps,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2006, 12:13 PM   #18
Major Player

Ed:

Thanks for running me through. The only reason I wasn't sure about using the 24P project settings is really two fold:

1. When you shoot normal 24P in the XL2 I shoot at the 2:3 pulldown. But if you look at the PPro 2.0 24P capture settings it shows 2:3:3:2, which is 24P Advanced. So that confused me.

2. If I capture and edit in a 24P project, I am not able to export back out to tape for submission to TV stations which require a normal NTSC 29.97 project.

Thoughts?
Old July 19th, 2006, 06:30 PM   #19
Trustee

Premiere Pro 1.5 had a serious bug that mishandles 24p normal footage. Premiere Pro 2.0 will handle it just fine. The problem must be with your set-up. If you want to edit in 24P native you can set PP 2 to rebuild the C frame. Set your output settings to repeat frame (not 2:3:3:2) for output to DV tape or whatever media you are sending to a broadcaster. I prefer to edit in 29.97 timelines and shoot in camera 24P with 3:2 pull-up, in that workflow, there should never be any issues... All that being said, FCP is a MUCH MUCH better program for handling different formats/frame rates and many people swear by Vegas.

ash =o)

PS. for low light you can also switch your Gamma to Video which has less noise
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 05:44 PM   #20
Regular Crew

24p in P Pro 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon Lyon
Ed:

Thanks for running me through. The only reason I wasn't sure about using the 24P project settings is really two fold:

1. When you shoot normal 24P in the XL2 I shoot at the 2:3 pulldown. But if you look at the PPro 2.0 24P capture settings it shows 2:3:3:2, which is 24P Advanced. So that confused me.

2. If I capture and edit in a 24P project, I am not able to export back out to tape for submission to TV stations which require a normal NTSC 29.97 project.

Thoughts?
Devon

Answer to Q1

To set 24P playback options
1. Choose Project > Project Settings > General.
2. Click the Playback Settings button.
3. In the 24p Conversion Method pane, select one of the following options:
Repeat Frame (ABBCD) Duplicates frames where necessary to maintain 29.97 fps playback. This option uses fewer CPU resources.
4. Interlaced Frame (2:3:3:2) Combines the frames in a telecine-like scheme to maintain 29.97 fps playback. This option produces smooth playback but uses more CPU resources.
Click OK in the Playback Settings dialog box, and click OK in the Project Settings dialog box.
(Note - I have always use the (2:3:3:2 option in PPro2.0) because of one reason, smooth playback)

Answer to Q2
Ash is right
If you are submitting to a TV station, you can shoot in 24p w/XL2, then edit it in 29.97 Timeline and then export it to NTSC 29.97.
In a 29.97 Timeline, you can import clips which were shot in 60i, 29.97 and 23.97. (Note - PPro 2.0 will change the 24p footage(s) to 29.97. during importation)
Devon 24p is very nice an artistic. However if you are doing alot of middium pan and fast camera movements, then 30p should be the choice(Just my opion). Hope this help.
Eb Samba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2006, 08:40 AM   #21
Major Player

Ash and Ed, thanks a bunch for the input. I will work some more with the suggested changes. I have had just enough problems in the past that I've become comfortable with 30p. That being said, I like the look of 24p and want to keep the option open. Thanks again.

Devon

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders