Talk me into an XL2 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Closed Thread

Old June 26th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Buying the XL2

Well, I've decided to get the XL2.

I think the most significant factors were the flexibility of the XL2 form factor and the fact that I just don't need HD. The uncertain future of HDV and tape-based recording in HD also played a part.

Thanks a ton for all of your input. You guys really helped me out. Now I'll have to start bombarding you all with questions about how to use it!

Josh
Old June 26th, 2007, 09:26 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Josh,

If you've been using an Xl1s in school, you'll pick up the practical aspects right away. The beauty is the variable presets - that takes a lot of trial and error, or download them from here and test drive them for the ones you like and find usefull.

You'll enjoy the camera. (and yes, expect 'buyers remorse' after any major purchase.)
Old June 27th, 2007, 06:34 AM   #33
Major Player

Good choice, I love mine, you'll love the flexibility, and if you've been using the xl1s, then you'll easily adjust to the xl-2. Like I said before, until the govt makes the full transition to HD, you'll be fine with the xl-2. If you book a big project and need to go HD just rent one and build it into your budget. In the mean time have fun with your new camera and post some clips when you can. We always like to see what everyone else is doing. Congrats.
Old June 27th, 2007, 09:02 AM   #34
Major Player

Good choice, Josh. Way to think out all aspects of the purchase. Enjoy!

Jonathan
Old June 27th, 2007, 12:55 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Congrats Josh. You won't regret it.
Old September 25th, 2007, 05:50 AM   #36
Major Player

This post is old but very relevent to me today. Used xl1 for five years, then xl1s (current camera for four years) was planing on a xl2 as I mostly need 16:9 and HD not at all. Was convinced after reading the reviews on the A1 that it was the answer. Took a A1 for a test run today and shot footage. Great footage, fantastic little camera, decided to buy it but wait and think on things overnight.

The xl2 is back haunting my mind already, Think I'll miss the lens changability, 4 track recording and three white balance storage settings right off. The lack of flip out screen on the xl2 is no bother as I mount a lcd screen on the rear of the 1's and could transfer it to the xl2.

Josh if you are still there. What's your thoughts three months latter?

Cheers,
Owen.
Old September 25th, 2007, 09:22 AM   #37
Regular Crew

Owen,

You are in almost exactly the same position I was in. It's so easy to get lured in by the A1 and its HDV. What a great little camera!

But looking back, I'm so glad I went with the XL2. I change lenses all the time. The ability to get great depth of field with the 20x, and then go to a wide angle is huge for me.

As far as HDV goes, I was certainly tempted by it, but nothing I'm shooting will be delivered in HD. So the one advantage of the A1 would be wasted on me. I just had to take a realistic look at my needs and realize that HDV isn't something that I need.

I couldn't be happier with my XL2. My only complaint about the it is the tiny LCD, but it seems that you've got that covered. The form factor, lens options, and true 24p/30p options on the XL2 allow me to do so much more than I could with the A1.

I won't presume to tell you what to buy, but my advice is to take a look at how you like to shoot with your XL1s and ask if you could do that with an A1. Then take an honest inventory of your needs. Is HDV on that list?

Good luck, and let us know what you choose!

JLK
Old September 25th, 2007, 03:21 PM   #38
Major Player

Just to jump in on this, I also just upgraded to an XL2. I chose the XL2 over an HDV cam for the following reasons:

Image Presets - there is just so much control over the in-cam image!

Manual Control - I would challenge any hand-held camera out there to have as many button- and knob-controlled features as the XL2.

Interchangeable Lenses: There is one aspect of this that most people miss. Although most people won't need the ability to change lenses, it is very valuable to be able to customize your camera in this way. Doing documentary? You'll need a wider field of view - go with the 3x. Doing movies? You've got the 16x manual. Event? 16x manual or 20x depending on how much zoom you need and how much you value manual lens control. Wildlife? There's any and all of Canon's EF lenses to choose from. It's awesome.

Need for HD: I don't have it. What is more, I think "future-proofing" with a current HD cam is pretty much an oxymoron. This technology is evolving so fast that, by the time I do need HD, I will be able to get better cams for less money. And that's even assuming HD is staying. With the recent 2k+ cinema cams, UHD may have kicked HD out by the time I NEED something more than SD.

Price - Even though XL2's hold there value well, you can still get a good deal on excellent used models. That's what I did.

Cheers!
Old September 25th, 2007, 05:02 PM   #39
Regular Crew

"Price - Even though XL2's hold there value well, you can still get a good deal on excellent used models. That's what I did."

This is why i would be reluctant to buy an XL2 now...the same reason why i would buy one in fact (yes, that seem like nonsense but) :

Point is : if you can get a good price on a used one in good condition, go for it ! (assuming that the value of the camera is going to decrease quickly...and you won t get a lot of money for it later...)

If you have to buy it new... think twice about buying a camera that as already lost some value and will continue to do so...(probably more than a HDV camera)

My 2cents,

FWIW

Philippe
Old September 26th, 2007, 02:49 AM   #40
Major Player

Thanks a lot Josh, Dale and Philippe. I'm going for the xl2. I've put my deposit down, they'll ship a new one in in a day or two. I'll let you know how it goes.
I took one for a test drive today. It's a nice camera.

Have you seen the xl2 tour on the Canon USA site? A 30 minute video. Well worth it if you haven't seen it yet.

Owen.
Old September 27th, 2007, 01:57 PM   #41
Major Player

This thread rules!

You guys rule! I just got approval in the budget to shop for a new camera for next year and I'm definitely going with the XL-2 - a big step up from the ZR85 we're limping along with now...:)
Old September 27th, 2007, 01:58 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Congrats, Will!

Wow, from ZR85 to XL2, that's a huge jump.
Old September 28th, 2007, 02:36 PM   #43
Major Player

Hey, everything's gotta start somewhere.
Old September 28th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #44
Regular Crew

Didn't mean that as a criticism. Just saying that you're going to have so much more control and creative choices from now on. Have fun!
Old October 1st, 2007, 11:26 AM   #45
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Keffer View Post
Didn't mean that as a criticism. Just saying that you're going to have so much more control and creative choices from now on. Have fun!
Dude, we're totally on the same page. No worries. And yes, I am a little intimidated by all of the extra features. But I've got the basics down: preplan, follow a script, good lighting.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders