New XL H1S and H1A -- questions and answers. - Page 15 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old June 12th, 2008, 01:47 PM   #211
Major Player

Hi Chris,

Yes, I kinda figured they didn't research it at all when they answered.

But as I am now reading the manual, it seems as if what Canon is saying could be true. You can record the Magnify to tape using a Custom function, but otherwise if you turn that option off, the magnify will cancel itself out upon hitting the record button.

On pg. 46:

With the custom function, you can select to have the magnified picture recorded to tape as it is, or to cancel the magnifying function when you start recording video ...

There seems to be no clear literature saying that the magnify is operable at all times, despite whether you want to record it or not to tape (whcih is what I'm looking for).

I hope that is the case ... what do you think Chris?
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 02:12 PM   #212
Trustee

Michael,

Since the announcement of the H1A & S I have always interpreted this the way you described. They allow you to record the magnified view if you so choose. I never thought you could see a magnified image in the viewfinder but record a "non-magnified" image based on what I have read. Admittedly this would be cool but I don't think that is what they advertised unless I misunderstood it.

Good Luck. I hope this turns out work the way you want it to.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 02:27 PM   #213
Obstreperous Rex

Okay, just to clear up any confusion:

From page 109: "to record on the tape the enlarged image when using Magnifying focus assist."

In other words, when this CF option is enabled, yes it records a magnified image. If you were hoping that it would record a non-magnified image while using Magnify, the answer is no it will not do that. My apologies if I wasn't clear earlier about what you wanted.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 04:18 PM   #214
Major Player

Yes, that is what I wanted.

That's unfortunate ... that would've been really good for focusing in the field without an external monitor ...

I'm going to hold on to my H1 for now.

I love the Canon XL cameras ... but Canon needs to watch out for this EX3, especially with official dealers pricing it at $8320 at this point. That's lower than the S model ...

Thanks all for clarifying this.

And hey Marty, how's it goin?
Old June 12th, 2008, 06:29 PM   #215
Trustee

Michael,
Still hanging onto my XLh1. Been using the FU1000 a lot and finding focus much easier (16x manual lens of course!). So far mostly daytime shots that I can trust the daytime white balance preset will be accurate enough for. I'd still use the FU1000 on the new Canon if get one but I don't plan on taking the plunge anytime soon. You still running with that LetusXL on your H1?

Also, anyone actually have on of the new XL cameras in hand yet? I thought the H1S was shipping in May with the H1A scheduled for June yet I still haven't seen any first hand reports on here.

Out!
Old June 12th, 2008, 06:53 PM   #216
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik View Post
I thought the H1S was shipping in May with the H1A scheduled for June...
Incorrect. As stated previously, H1S in June and H1A in July.

Old June 12th, 2008, 07:49 PM   #217
Trustee

Those were the original dates? Wow... I guess I was way off. I have a big gig in the end of July and was considering the h1a as a 2nd cam but that is cutting it too close! Thanks for setting me straight there.
Old June 13th, 2008, 02:15 AM   #218
Regular Crew

The official canon site in the Netherlands says H1s for may
and the H1a for june. The H1s is allready out here.
I got a shop who has them in stock.

scroll down on the page to see for yourself.

http://www.canon.nl/For_Home/Product...n_HD/index.asp

greets
Rob Willemse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 06:17 AM   #219
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik View Post
Those were the original dates? Wow... I guess I was way off. I have a big gig in the end of July and was considering the h1a as a 2nd cam but that is cutting it too close! Thanks for setting me straight there.
Well the H1S is already available at retailers like B&H. I was just talking to them yesterday about it. They should have one on the display floor fairly soon.

I would think the H1A would still come out roughly mid July.
Old June 13th, 2008, 06:25 AM   #220
Trustee

Somehow I got my numbers transposed and shifted everything up one month. My bad. As far as the H1S, that is out of my budget for sure. I was originally looking into the Canon XH-A1 but with the XL-H1A being not that much more, and me owning 3 different XL lenses I thought it might be another option. Of course from a budgetary point of view.....I would really be stretching it....if I could even afford it at all!

Now if there was a body only edition........that would be right in my sweet spot. Since I have 2 extra lenses (I say extra because unfortunately Canon only allows you to mount one on the body at at time :) ) that could get much more use on a 2nd camera.
Old June 13th, 2008, 06:39 AM   #221
Major Player

Well Marty,

I would think that ZGC would eventually have a body only version of the H1A at some point in time. Unfortunately not in time for your shoot in July, but it will happen eventually.

But you can also just hire me and fly me out there to you and put me in a posh hotel for this shoot. How does that sound?

LOL :)
Old July 25th, 2008, 03:27 PM   #222
Regular Crew

What is the better camera XLH1- H1S-H1A

All three of these cameras seem to be nice, XL H1 -H1S-H1A , but for outdoor shooting which one in your opinion would be better....

Thanks
Adrian J. Hare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 08:47 AM   #223
Obstreperous Rex

Hello Adrian, fortunately the answer to your question is very simple.

Do you need SDI, GenLock and TimeCode jacks? If so, then the XL H1S is the camera to buy. If you don't need those things, then the XL H1A is the right camera. The *only* difference between the H1S and H1A is SDI, GenLock and TimeCode jacks. If by chance you don't know what those things are, then you don't need 'em.

The original H1 is still a good choice as a used camera. If you need SDI, GenLock and TimeCode but can't justify the price of the H1S, then a used H1 is the way to go. Hope this helps,

Old July 26th, 2008, 10:06 AM   #224
Regular Crew

Thankyou for your opinion Chris, that did help me...

I understood that there was a difference in the lens quality between the H1 and the other two H1A,H1A. What opinion do you have on that ?
Adrian J. Hare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 12:20 PM   #225
Obstreperous Rex

I don't think there's any real difference in the quality of the glass, but the 20x lens packaged with the H1S and H1A is a re-design of the 20x that came with the H1. The newer lens has better control ring grips, adds an iris ring right on the lens barrel, and allows the shooter to change focus and zoom at the same time, which wasn't possible with the older 20x lens.

I'm merging this thread with our bigger Q&A thread. Hope this helps,

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders