New XL H1S and H1A -- questions and answers. - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old April 14th, 2008, 02:58 AM   #76
Major Player

$13,000. Really not worth the money. For that money I would rather buy a Panasonic HPX-500 or a Sony XDCAM (with the discs) and 2/3" lenses.

And do you really think this is it? RED will blow every other announcement away with the Scarlet today. Furthermore, Canon is always late but they will come with a worthy successor. Expect the next XL to fuse with 35mm lenses or maybe 2/3" lenses and of course it will be tapeless.

I really do not see why I would buy that Sony. It still feels clumsy (because that has not changed), the weight is all in front of your shoulder, so no advancement over the XL-H1 and the price... too expensive. You pay $4,000 for shoulder mount and some small updates.

No, no Sony EX1/EX3 for me.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 07:43 AM   #77
Regular Crew

Maybe Canon's waiting for the Scarlet everyone's so hyped about to announce the real XL-H1 successor? Seems like in current news, Scarlet blows away every other new designs announcements, like Sony's EX3. Maybe Canon wants the hype to die down a bit before it announces a worthy competitor?

Canon always proved to be a patient (albeit slow) cam designer. Look at what it's done with the XH-A1 model : they were last (or near last) to get onto the market, but they hit the spot right on. I don't think I ever heard any complaints about it, and even heard by a lot that it was the DVX100's successor.

I think time will tell if Canon really dropped that ball, who knows, we might be really surprised at what it got up its sleeves! :-)
Gabriel Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 08:00 AM   #78
Major Player

Gabriel, I could not agree more with you.

And maybe Scarlett is a cooperation between Canon and Red.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 02:03 PM   #79
Trustee

canon's XL series has always been the last to market but the "best of its breed" when you compare apples to apples. happened on XL1, XL1s, XL2, XL H1, etc.

i don't doubt it'll happen on whatever future releases it is going to be, when you compare apples to apples.
Old April 14th, 2008, 07:01 PM   #80
Regular Crew

The Red Scarlet is going to cost $3,000 with a fixed 8x zoom. The Scarlet is a 3k camera that will record to CF chips and will accept many of the Red One accessories. I believe I have found my next small camera to complement the Red One or the new Red Epic 5k. I will keep my XL H1 until the Scarlet is available. Sorry Canon, I guess that my only Canon's will be still camera's from now on.
Old April 15th, 2008, 07:42 AM   #81
Major Player

Is it known whether the new full spec HD-SDI on the XL-H1s is now actual 10-bit? Or still 8-bit stuffed into 10?
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 05:34 PM   #82
Major Player

Solid State Life Expectancy

No one in this thread has mentioned the life expectancy of solid state devices, which kinda surprises me. All current solid state memory devices have quite limited life expectancy as *every* write operation is destructive to the device. This is why the on-board logic purposely fragments files to spread the data "randomly" over the memory area. Read operations, however, are non-destructive. Since the solid state device will be storing huge amounts of data on a regular basis (much more so than regular USB thumb drive-type devices often used for storing documents), it is much more likely that the same pieces of memory will be written to much more frequently, and therefore are more likely to cause physical failures to the memory modules. Reading and writing to a hard drive is non-destructive, but of course you have mechanical issues with hard drives.
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 10:13 PM   #83
Wrangler

First I've heard of it--could you post links to a white paper or other reputable source on this? And/or quantify "quite limited life expectancy"?
Old April 15th, 2008, 10:34 PM   #84
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
First I've heard of it--could you post links to a white paper or other reputable source on this? And/or quantify "quite limited life expectancy"?
The reports I've read are 100,000 cycles.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 10:51 PM   #85
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Browning View Post
The reports I've read are 100,000 cycles.
That's the same figure I've heard. While 100,000 sounds like a lot, when you consider that even with the on board logic randomizing the location of data on the memory chips, with the amount of data being stored on these devices, each memory location is going to get written to pretty frequently!

I heard a report of someone testing a CF card and killing it within one day when it was used as the Windows XP swap file and subjected to "normal use".

Here are some sources:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory#Memory_wear
"For high reliability data storage, however, it is not advisable to use flash memory that has been through a large number of programming cycles"

Another article said you don't need to worry about it...
http://www.storagesearch.com/ssdmyths-endurance.html

Last edited by Julian Frost; April 15th, 2008 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Added sources
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 07:39 AM   #86
Major Player

Clue to Canon developing their own HD codec?

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...-H1A-34876.htm

Interesting comments in the interview they did with Canon ...

Apparantly, they take it as clues that Canon is actually developing thier own HD codec for their next gen solid state camera.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 10:18 AM   #87
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Galvan View Post
Is it known whether the new full spec HD-SDI on the XL-H1s is now actual 10-bit? Or still 8-bit stuffed into 10?
While at the Canon booth yesterday, I asked and was told there is no change. It is still 8-bit with 2-zero bits. Going to 10 bit would require a whole new sensor block.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 12:37 PM   #88
Trustee

which is a hint towards future developments? =D
Old April 16th, 2008, 06:09 PM   #89
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bauer View Post
While at the Canon booth yesterday, I asked and was told there is no change. It is still 8-bit with 2-zero bits. Going to 10 bit would require a whole new sensor block.
Canon are going to be eaten alive and rightly so. It happened to them in the Pro DSLR market with Nikon's D3 seeing a flood of once loyal canon pros flocking to the 'other side'. Now I can see the same thing happening in the HD arena.
Paul Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 07:20 AM   #90
Regular Crew

Well, Paul, you need to remember something about the Canon vs Nikon war : About 2 years ago, when Canon released the first full-frame DSLR on the market, it was Nikon who lost a lot of its faithful users! Back before the D300 and D3 relase, Nikon was lagging behind Canon because it struggled with its sensors' noise and sensivity while Canon's CMOS were better, and I know a lot of Nikon users who "migrated" over to Canon. For now, the D3 might be better on some levels than the 1DMKIII, but who knows how Canon's next DSLRs are gonna be?

I don't think you can really compare the armlock Canon and Nikon are in to what's happening in HD video ; Canon clearly plays safely here instead of innovating like it does in the still photography world. Yeah, many of us are dissapointed, but if they're developping a better workflow for their next XL series models and need more time for their tech to be more cost/effective, I rather like the fact that they didn't rush their dev to get a bugged (or worse, a mock-up) XL-H2 just for show at NAB. They addressed some issues here, like a better servo lens and greater button customization options. It's not the best upgrade ever, and yes, it's dissapointing that the CCD block is the same 2 years-old technology, but the fact that they got a camcorder without HD-SDI outputs at 3000$ less might get people like me to upgrade to HD soon.

Why should a new camera model always mean you should feel the urging need to upgrade? Even if a 2-year camera is "old" by our standards now, the XL-H1 is still making pretty great pictures, so get out there and shoot until Canon gets their real XL-H2 out in a year or two!! :-P

Cheers!
Gabriel Berube is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders