XL-H1A cases at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old August 23rd, 2008, 01:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XL-H1A cases

I just bought my canon a week ago and I can't decide on a hard case to store it in. Any suggestions are appreciated. Something that is not too expensive.
Randy Larioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 08:32 AM   #2
Trustee

I use Storm Cases.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 09:27 AM   #3
Major Player

I have heard good things about the Pelican 1610. You can get an XL 2 foam cutout for it as well. I had the 1510 which was perfect for flying but I had to toally break down the camera to get it to fit which does not work for me. I just ordered this kit from B&H.

Petrol | PCCB-2N Camcorder Bag Kit | B&H Photo Video

I am hoping it will work. Their site said it fit the XL 2 assembled which should be the same size and it comes with a rain cover but it is a soft case.
Old August 24th, 2008, 02:08 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yup

Hey thanks. Let me know how that works out for you. I was thinking about that magna case that is similar to the 3200 canon hardcase. Its on ebay for like 200 bucks, compared to canons 400-500. I just bought a pelican 1700 case for all of my audio equipment. Can't wait till it arives!
Randy Larioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 02:23 PM   #5
Major Player

I was 2 seconds away from trying that Case but I could not pass up the deal to get a case and rain cover for a little more than the cost of a rain cover. Time will tell if it was money poorly spent.
Old August 25th, 2008, 07:13 AM   #6
Regular Crew

You guys might want to check out Cinevate's new hard case, it's been added recently in their products lineup. Design's pretty similar to Pelican cases for a bit less moolah. Dimensions are about 26" x 16" x 8", which seems a good fit for the XLH1a and some accessories.
Old September 26th, 2008, 04:34 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Chesarek View Post
I have heard good things about the Pelican 1610. You can get an XL 2 foam cutout for it as well. I had the 1510 which was perfect for flying but I had to toally break down the camera to get it to fit which does not work for me. I just ordered this kit from B&H.

Petrol | PCCB-2N Camcorder Bag Kit | B&H Photo Video

I am hoping it will work. Their site said it fit the XL 2 assembled which should be the same size and it comes with a rain cover but it is a soft case.
Josh,

I am looking at the Pelican 1510 myself since I really need a hard case that can pass through international "carry on" policies. I will be taking very light gear just the camera. Did you have custom foam made by pelican? Did you have any problem traveling international flights?
Daniel Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 08:01 AM   #8
Major Player

I have flown on about 15 flights with the 1510 international and did not have any issues except once when flying in business class on the 2nd level of the plane. The over head bins are very small and cannot hold the 1510. In that situation the 1510 was removed from my hands and allowed to fall down the stairs and be stored in over head bins on the 1st floor. I nearly shot the flight attendant who dropped it down the flight of stairs but the case did its job and protected the camera. I was uneasy with it not being in my sight but that was the only time I had trouble with it.

Also, I had to cut my own foam with my A1. For what it is worth I never full cut the foam for the XL-H1A as i switched to a soft bag that could keep it fully assembled minus the lens hood. I do have a trip coming up soon and I may look back into traveling with it broken down again.
Old September 26th, 2008, 08:09 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
I have flown on about 15 flights with the 1510 international and did not have any issues except once when flying in business class on the 2nd level of the plane. The over head bins are very small and cannot hold the 1510. In that situation the 1510 was removed from my hands and allowed to fall down the stairs and be stored in over head bins on the 1st floor. I nearly shot the flight attendant who dropped it down the flight of stairs but the case did its job and protected the camera. I was uneasy with it not being in my sight but that was the only time I had trouble with it.

Also, I had to cut my own foam with my A1. For what it is worth I never full cut the foam for the XL-H1A as i switched to a soft bag that could keep it fully assembled minus the lens hood. I do have a trip coming up soon and I may look back into traveling with it broken down again.
Josh I really appreciate the info. Thanks it helps. I will try it out on a flight to Miami in a couple of weeks. I will be shooting an event there.
Old September 26th, 2008, 09:37 AM   #10
Major Player

Sounds good. Im looking to see if I can get some new foam locally to use. Otherwise I have to have it shipped from B&H
Old September 26th, 2008, 09:43 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
I was 2 seconds away from trying that Case but I could not pass up the deal to get a case and rain cover for a little more than the cost of a rain cover. Time will tell if it was money poorly spent.
Let us know how you like it after some use! Thanks!
Curtis Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 09:47 AM   #12
Major Player

Well I have had it a little while now and As I said, It is nearly ready to go out of the bag, I think it could be if I did not have the metal bracket attached to it.

Right now I have to turn the microphone backwards, and take off the lens hood. One side pouch contains zip lock bags full of all my cables and the other holds the rain cover. Overall I like it. I don't fell as safe as I did with the hard case but it is still a fairly solid case. I will have to take some pictures of everything in its place and send them along.
Old September 26th, 2008, 05:35 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
I will have to take some pictures of everything in its place and send them along.
Please do if you have time.
Old September 26th, 2008, 10:06 PM   #14
Trustee

I'll echo the recommendation for Pelican. Although I use a Petrol soft case for my XH-A1, I've been using Pelican for minicams for years. They are very secure and let you configure secure spots for your accessories.

Highly recommended.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2008, 05:40 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel View Post
Although I use a Petrol soft case for my XH-A1
Would you recommend this case for using with the xh-a1? I just got mine a few weeks ago. I don't really have any accessories yet for the camera except the at-822 that will be (most probably - still doing research) mounted via an sm4.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders