XL-H1 body, lens and nanoFlash riddle at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old September 23rd, 2009, 10:17 AM   #1
Major Player

XL-H1 body, lens and nanoFlash riddle

I'm poking around on the B & H web site trying to put some numbers together (again!) on adding a nanoFlash into my gear and I run across this.

XL-H1s ($7995) + nanoFlash ($2895) = $10,890

XL-H1 body ($3995) + XL lens ($2199) + nanoFlash ($2895) = $9094

I understand the the XL-H1 is discontinued but I shot it and it's a great camera. What I need to know is if this lens is the same lens that is on my XL-H1a. If so, I think I just figured out how to save $1796 on a new camera with HD/SDI out and the nanoFlash.

Tell me why this will not work?
Old September 23rd, 2009, 10:53 AM   #2
Trustee

Tyge,
I believe itīs possible to use the "new" 20x HD lens connected to a "old" XL-H1.
Note that the new lens has an additional iris ring (for manual adjusting aperture), you also have independent zoom and focus. Iīm not sure but you might have to do a firmware upgrade to the old XL-H1 for this new functions to work properly!
In fact the 6X wide HD lens which also had the new iris ring, was applied with a firmware upgrade-card in the box.

Also note that the old XL-H1 donīt have embedded audio in the HD/SDI signal. The nano donīt have any xlr audio connectors (only analog audio inputs), so you might have a problem capture good audio with this setup.
The old XL-H1 donīt have timecode signal in the embedded HD/SDI stream either, so you have to manually start/stop recording with the nano.

I believe the Flash XDR would have been a better choice paired with the old XL-H1 IMHO!
Old September 23rd, 2009, 03:24 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Dear Tyge and Per Johan,

The XL H1 (all models) have RCA audio outputs.

A simple RCA (stereo) to 3.5mm mini-plug will work to provide audio from the XL H1 to the nanoFlash. This is a very low cost cable, available in many places.

The XL H1 can provide Phantom Power, for the mics, if needed.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 05:17 PM   #4
Major Player

So, no embedded audio but per Dan it seems there is a work around for that.

Does anyone else have any input on if the lens will work on the body?
Old November 26th, 2009, 08:28 PM   #5
Major Player

The newer XL lens will work with the older XL H1 body, but I think the iris ring won't work.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 06:34 PM   #6
Major Player

Just my 2 cents being an owner of an original XLH1...

I would opt for the newer XLH1s if you are going to use the marvelous nanoFlash as it has everything coming in embedded via one single secure HD-SDI cable to the nano:

-video
-audio
-timecode

just a very clean setup with 1 cable

And you get the benefit of the better lens control

And maybe some new firmware upgrades to the XLH1s in the future? but it seems like Canon has let their wonderful baby go dormant for some reason.

But chosing the nanoFlash is the most awesome decision you could have made to improve BOTH your video AND audio output from the XLH1 or s. World of difference in quaility and workflow. You did some good homework.
John Richard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders