Icon in EVF at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old April 1st, 2010, 02:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Icon in EVF

I've searched the manual and this forum and can't find any references to this. I have a blinking icon in the middle of the EVF and I don't know what it is. Here's a pic I took. Any help? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Icon in EVF-icon.jpg  
Old April 1st, 2010, 08:50 PM   #2
Regular Crew

That means you have the record date and time function enabled. When this is flashing, the date and time will be permanently recorded to tape. It is buried about two pages down in the menu on the XL-H1.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 09:31 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply. That's what I thought it was. Here is my dilemma... I videotape depositions and I need to have the time/date stamp showing. I'm not recording to a tape in the camera. Because the stamp doesn't export via FireWire, I'm running component out of the camera into a media converter and then running FireWire from that to a laptop. If
I was running a tape, the icon disappears when I start recording, but coming out component it doesn't.

Is there any way to turn off this icon?
Old April 2nd, 2010, 07:32 PM   #4
Major Player

Well...you could just use an old tape....over and over again...even though you're not using the footage on the tape...

BUT...I did hear that someone had figured out a way to "cheat" the deck...with a BLANK tape...

Maybe someone has heard this before....I would like to know...simply to be able to do it when recording to an outboard recorder...and not have to run an HDV tape also...
Old April 4th, 2010, 11:12 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Well I have it figured out. Another legal videographer I chat with told me I'd have to get a separate time/date generator. I called Canon and after about 20 minutes, he told me to go to Display Setup>TV Screen>On. Well the TV Screen option was grayed out. He then had me hit the reset button on the camera. After I did, I went to Display Setup > Guide Info > D/T Display and then Display Setup > TV Screen > On. Now the flashing red icon is gone.

Thanks for the help!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders