XLh1 and 16x lens observations at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old April 13th, 2010, 12:31 PM   #1
Trustee

XLh1 and 16x lens observations

I am starting this for us XL h1 guys who got to rambling on in the new Xf300 thread about the 16x XL manual lens.

I find the lens to be overall sharper and more contrasty than the 20x lens. I can only compare it to the original H1 lens as I do not have the newer unit. It could be completely different for all I know. It does appear to hold the fstop through the range....but even if it doesn't completely, it barely moves. There is some green and purple fringing at the utmost zoom setting in images with high contrast....or more specifically dark objects against a white background.

the lens obviously has true focus rings and a zoom ring that can be drive by a motor or unlocked for rapid zoom effects.

The flange back setting is cool as you can tweak your back focus and even use this for rack focus tricks. You can pull focus pretty easy back here....but you will have to reset your backfocus when done.

This lens is light and fast and is great at low light event....however it is not ideal for super long zooms when hand held as it has no image stabilization.

It also is easier to focus with just because it has a real tactile feel.

It resolves good enough for anything I have shot with the camera, even though it is not technically HD glass. Still....good glass is good glass and I love this. When I had it paired with a Century Optics .8x WA adapter it was quite the combo.

Any other questions I'll be glad to answer. I just wanted to stop hijacking the other thread.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 12:52 PM   #2
Major Player

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Contemplating getting one myself now ... hmm.

Wonder where I can find one for a decent price.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 11:14 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Keep an eye on ebay - 700-800 dollars is not uncommon. It IS a nice piece of glass - I use it consistently on my XL-2 and my production partner uses his on the XLH-1 all the time.

(I just checked - there's one listed for 800 buy it now, and another at 624 buy it now)
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders