Shhhh! It's a secret!! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old September 1st, 2005, 04:26 PM   #31
Major Player

Yes, but can that cup-holder do both hot and cold beverages, that is the real question?
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 05:44 PM   #32
Major Player

Ugh... wait and see....wait and see........I'll be in my trailer.
Old September 1st, 2005, 06:39 PM   #33
Major Player

Guys, it's not going to have a mini35 built in. First of all, there are really no "cinema" cameras out on the market--even the dvx/hvx/jvc are prosumer 1/3'' general-purpose cameras. If you're doing news gathering, weddings, etc. the depth of focus is just way too shallow and telephoto lenses are too expensive (the XL2 is equivalent to what? a 800mm lens?)

Also, mini35s are horribly constricting in terms of what settings you can use, and you'll lose auto-focus and all sorts of stuff. It's just not happening--it's a specialty tool and it will remain one.

A big CMOS might be reasonable, though. A single 2/3'' chip might be nice and single CMOS chips seem to be where cameras are headed. Look at the Sony HC1 (also, Bill Kennedy of Panasonic told me that single chips may be the future for them as well.) Plus, Canon knows how to make these things super cheap. If it were compatible with the EOS mount and had an APS-C sized sensor, that would be interesting. As in, "I'll-sell-everything-I-own-to-buy-one-now" interesting. But it won't happen.

My guess: Gl3.
Matthew Wauhkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 06:47 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Good point... who likes to drink warm beer while filming??
Anyway, I got to thinking, I've been quite impressed with Panasonic's public relations with the independent filmmaker crowd (a.k.a. Jan). Obviously they've been listening with regards to 1080p and such. Does Canon have that kind of relationship with the indy filmmaker? Does Canon have it's own "Jan" who participates in these forums? No offense to Jan! She's invaluable. And do you think Canon would create something as innovative as a built in mini35 type device? I guess what I'm trying to say is, does Canon give us any love?
Damon Botsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 07:03 PM   #35
Trustee

Matthew I don't like to base my wild predictions on things that are practical, I like wild wouldn't-it-be-cool-if ideas. So yeah you're probably right it won't have a mini 35 like device, but I think it would be great if it had some sort of switch that would move the 35mm device in front of the 1/3 ccd or out of the way (for run and gun whatever). But if you must be practical I would say that there would have to be some sort of neoprene spill guard next to the cup holder so that it would keep hot beverages from adding access heat to teh camera and cool beverages from causing condensation. (because it would be rough to have condensation on your built in mini35)

But back to real life, no idea what the canon will have.
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 08:34 PM   #36
Wrangler

That's a good point on the neoprene Nick, I wish more people thought the same way. I just hope someone from Canon is paying close attention to this thread.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 08:38 PM   #37
Major Player

Neoprene for a spill guard and to stop condensation? This is high-tech equipment here so be serious -- how about an actual de-humidifier built in! No more condensation warnings when moving between cold to warm areas AND with a good filtration system you're looking at fresh, potable water waiting for you right there in a drip bag. :-)
John McManimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 09:57 PM   #38
Trustee

but if we have a drip bag why not just have two cupholders, one to hold the warm beverage then the other for the fresh potable water that you've created through condensation...

Truth be told john, I have alterior motives as my family owns a neoprene production plant and I'm vying for the contract from canon. (no more d*** wet-suits!)
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2005, 06:31 AM   #39
Inner Circle

I can't think of a reason why there couldn't be auto focus and OIS with a built in mini35. That would be a big part of the reason for having it built in. But I agree, it's wishfull thinking anyway. Indie film makers are probably the second or third biggest market for these camcorders, but the top is surely wedding and industrial videographers. Despite the prosumer name, I don't a significant number of consumers are buying any camcorder over $1,500.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2005, 07:59 AM   #40
Obstreperous Rex

As long as it has a built-in ice maker, I'll be satisfied. Central Texas summers can be a tad warm and tend to last for nine or ten months of the year. I need a camcorder that can keep my Shiner Bock chilled while I'm out shooting in the Hill Country.

Now here's what's *really* funny... remember what spurred this whole thread, was Brian's link to a post at another message board. Then that original post disappeared, until I found that it had been moved to another location on that other site, and I gave you guys the new link. *Now* it seems to be gone again.

Personally I think we're being played. Or should I say *you're* being played, because *I* know better than to believe something that didn't come from DV Info Net in the first place... know what I mean?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2005, 08:17 AM   #41
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
As long as it has a built-in ice maker, I'll be satisfied. Central Texas summers can be a tad warm and tend to last for nine or ten months of the year. I need a camcorder that can keep my Shiner Bock chilled while I'm out shooting in the Hill Country.

Now here's what's *really* funny... remember what spurred this whole thread, was Brian's link to a post at another message board. Then that original post disappeared, until I found that it had been moved to another location on that other site, and I gave you guys the new link. *Now* it seems to be gone again.

Personally I think we're being played. Or should I say *you're* being played, because *I* know better than to believe something that didn't come from DV Info Net in the first place... know what I mean?
Well Chris, I would ask for your input, but I know how darn restrictive those NDA's can be;-)

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2005, 10:27 AM   #42
Obstreperous Rex

NDA? What NDA. I am blissfully free of any NDA, and loving it!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2005, 02:42 PM   #43
Wrangler

No NDA here either, but I'll be Nearly Drunk on my A** before dinnertime. :-)
Still, there IS a Canon Expo in mid-Sep, AND that message was short on specifics but gave a generic "you'll be happy with our announcement at Expo" message. Maybe we're being played, but then again it could be Canon who have the last laugh. I still feel ok sticking to my May '05 guess that Canon will announce a Wunderkam in Sep/Oct. Don't know if Canon Expo really will bring us that announcement, but still see no reason why my guess was an unreasonable one.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2005, 03:58 PM   #44
Wrangler

Maybe they'll announce that all of their camcorders will include cupholders in the future. That would make a lot of people happy.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2005, 04:35 PM   #45
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Maybe they'll announce that all of their camcorders will include cupholders in the future. That would make a lot of people happy.
... And I think to myself... what a wonderful world...
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders