Shhhh! It's a secret!! - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old September 3rd, 2005, 12:06 AM   #46
Major Player

Canon will toss out some form of GL3 HDV cam, because it has to compete in that market, but what we all want to know is what is der vunderkam?

"Will not disapoint" indicates some form of HD, perhaps with a chip larger than 1/3. They could have licensed something from someone else, or they could use some of thier amazing cmos chips they have developed. I'll have to make a call and beg for some info.
Old September 3rd, 2005, 01:00 AM   #47
Trustee

ya know boys, this is wreak havoc on my predictions of when the new GL3(Fall'06)&XL3(Fall'07) will come out. ah well, in these days and age, i dunno if even Canon can follow their own strict guidlines.
Old September 3rd, 2005, 05:12 PM   #48
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Struthers
"Will not disapoint" indicates some form of HD, perhaps with a chip larger than 1/3. They could have licensed something from someone else, or they could use some of thier amazing cmos chips they have developed. I'll have to make a call and beg for some info.
"Will not disappoint" means nothing to me, nor should it to you. The Panasonic HVX is certainly a revolutionary camera, but it disappoints along several lines: (1) third-inch CCDs, (2) fixed lens, (3) no on-board hard-drive controller; and that's without even seeing footage from the camera. My point is, Canon -- or any manufacturer -- can't help disappoint. Sure, you could say, "You're being unrealistic." And I'd say, "Screw that. Let the burden be on the manufacturers." Until there's an HDCAM Senior-quality camera with variable shooting speeds through 60p for well under $10,000, there will be disappointment -- and even then, someone will quibble. Such hype as "will not disappoint" tells me only that Canon thinks it has something great -- or, conversely, that it has a PR fiasco (like what happened with the Sony Z1) on its hands.
Lawrence Bansbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2005, 05:21 PM   #49
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Bansbach
Such hype as "will not disappoint" tells me only that Canon thinks it has something great
It's too tedious to follow the origins of this thread, but I'm pretty certain that Canon never said anything at all. I believe that quote came from someone on another website who claimed to have inside knowledge. I don't think Canon comments on unannounced products.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2005, 04:05 AM   #50
Trustee

While it's entirely possible that there was no official announcement from canon, I spoke with one of the retailer's out of L.A. and he told me that canon was announcing something in the middle of the month as well. On the one hand that's super cool, on the other, he probably was looking at the same websites we were. (note: meaning the rumor didn't originate on dvinfo so why trust it)

Also I think that Lawrence has a good point, When ever any camera comes out people are always comparing it to a bigger better camera. SD? why not SD 24p? SD 24p? why not HD? HD? why not HD 24p? HD 24p? Why not 1080 24p? 1080 24p? why not 4:2:2 like an f900? F900? why not a genesis? Genesis? It's too big... etc etc

Last edited by Nick Hiltgen; September 4th, 2005 at 01:41 PM.
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2005, 09:58 AM   #51
Obstreperous Rex

Well stated, Nick. By rights, we shouldn't expect anything less than UHD Ultra-High Definition from Canon, at a price point below $(insert expectation here), and a built-in icemaker. Why, we should riot in the streets if it's anything less than that!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2005, 10:04 AM   #52
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
. . . and a built-in icemaker. Why, we should riot in the streets if it's anything less than that!
You just won't let the icemaker go, will you? But then again, I'm not rioting if there are no iced beverages.
Old September 4th, 2005, 01:38 PM   #53
Trustee

Quote:
... By rights, we shouldn't expect anything less than UHD Ultra-High Definition) from Canon, at a price point below $(insert expectation here), and a built-in icemaker
SWEET! FInally an Official Rumor from Mr. Hurd himself. You heard it here first on dvinfo.net, the Canon announcement in the middle of the month will be for an Ultra-HD camera WITH built in ice-maker. But, just to upset those who want everything the cupholder will be an add-on accesory (model# CUP-300) and everyone can complain about how it's not included with the base model, but panasonic's HVX-200A will include the cupholder and a martini shaker and be a Canon UHD killer.

mmm.... Martini...
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2005, 03:15 PM   #54
Obstreperous Rex

mmm... apple martini... raargh...

Actually to correct Nick's otherwise accurate post, there will be *two* optional cupholders separately available. The aforementioned CUP-300 holds two 16-ounce drinks, has balanced inputs, and will cost an additional $250. But there's also the CUP-600, which holds four 12-ounce drinks, has unbalanced inputs, and will cost $450. Shoulder supports are integrated into both, the CUP-600 having the larger footprint. If you need four balanced inputs, then I recommend the CUP-300 plus an additional third-party cupholder.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2005, 04:57 PM   #55
Major Player

Quote:
The aforementioned CUP-300 holds two 16-ounce drinks, has balanced inputs, and will cost an additional $250. But there's also the CUP-600, which holds four 12-ounce drinks, has unbalanced inputs, and will cost $450.
Mark my words: these prices better come down, or there will be a cottage industry in cheap third-party cupholders that will hold the popcorn-bucket-size convenience-store cups (and which I'm certain will invalidate the warranty). They'll eventually snap off, dumping a swimming pool of Pepsi all over your clothes, equipment, or car, but they'll be perfect for those needing to guzzle soda by the continuous gallon.
Old September 4th, 2005, 05:10 PM   #56
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Bansbach
"Will not disappoint" means nothing to me, nor should it to you. The Panasonic HVX is certainly a revolutionary camera, but it disappoints along several lines: (1) third-inch CCDs, (2) fixed lens, (3) no on-board hard-drive controller; and that's without even seeing footage from the camera. My point is, Canon -- or any manufacturer -- can't help disappoint. Sure, you could say, "You're being unrealistic." And I'd say, "Screw that. Let the burden be on the manufacturers." Until there's an HDCAM Senior-quality camera with variable shooting speeds through 60p for well under $10,000, there will be disappointment -- and even then, someone will quibble. Such hype as "will not disappoint" tells me only that Canon thinks it has something great -- or, conversely, that it has a PR fiasco (like what happened with the Sony Z1) on its hands.
PR fiasco? Am I missing something? They're selling a TON of those Z1's. I have no idea what you're referring to as far as PR fiasco.

Let's hope Canon outdoes the Sony camera. I still think we may just see the GL3. XL2 just hasn't been on the market long enough, nor does Canon feel the "rush" that we all wish they felt. We'll see soon, hopefully.

Kevin
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2005, 11:27 PM   #57
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Wild
PR fiasco? Am I missing something? They're selling a TON of those Z1's.
I never said that Sony weren't selling a ton of Z1s. But Sony's handling of the Z1's release was, from a PR point of view, embarrassing. At the unveiling in New York, Sony reps defensively fielded questions as to why 24p wasn't included. The Sony professional HDV Web page continued to claim that 24p was under consideration many weeks after it was pretty clear that, based on the choice of an interlaced-only CCD for the FX1/Z1, they never seriously considered 24p. It was a long time before any useful information about the CineFrame modes was became available -- and it didn't come from Sony but from people like Steve Mullen, who took the time to figure out and communicate how CF24 worked. But the most embarrassing thing of all was the price increase from the originally quoted $4,995 to $5,900 -- which they claimed wasn't an increase at all but clarification of the MSRP (the street price was $4,995), which was both cynical and ludicrous. Sure, they've sold a ton of them, because the Z1 preceded the HVX 200 and HD100 -- there was no real competition. It wouldn't sell quite so many had it come out after, and I'd even go so far as to say that Sony probably wouldn't even release it today without 24p (at least I hope they wouldn't). Contrast that marketing approach with Panasonic's handling of the HVX200. Panasonic has displayed little of Sony's arrogance, obliviousness, or stumbling.

Last edited by Lawrence Bansbach; September 5th, 2005 at 11:33 AM.
Old September 4th, 2005, 11:32 PM   #58
Trustee

the next Canon Ultra Def cam will come with a rocket launcher ;).

re: resolution. i really think 1920x1080p will be the last great consumer format for the next hundreds of years at least. but what do i know =).
Old September 4th, 2005, 11:48 PM   #59
Major Player

1920x1080p?

but I thought the new Canon UHD was 1920x1080x1080p ...?

- Mikko
Old September 5th, 2005, 06:47 AM   #60
Inner Circle

Okay, I got the inside dope.

The next canon will utilize "Chemical memory" sensors on a motion activated estar base. The capture target will be MUCH larger than any ccd out there now, approaching, dare I say it... 35mm. This will enable the shallow depth of field that everyone is so excited about.

The chemical memory storage will resolve resolutions approximately double the HD cameras available today. Storage costs will vary depending on the composition of the chemical memory capture loads, as the variations will allow greater or lesser lattitude, and UNBELIEVABLE color saturation. The typical run time on a storage load will be equivellant to the P2 cards, or slightly larger.

Because of the nature of the organic storage process, the images will have that somewhat 'dream like' quality that eludes those of us unhappy with the hard video images of present day cameras.

The really great news is, variable frame rates will DEFINATELY be included. everything from ultra slow 4fps up to 60fps, and yes, I have it on absolute authority that it will be PROGRESSIVE.

The drawback seems to be the transfer workflow. Original images are stored on the motion activated base in an inversed chroma format. Once the images are resolved in a computer monitored solutions storage environment, they are transfered via computer to the tape or harddrive storage format of users choice. Could be HD. Could be SD. Could be DV... the choice is unlimited. From there it's a matter of editing as usual, with the options of direct to DVD or tape... or, and here's the exciting part - TRANSFER TO FILM PRINT WITH VIRTUALLY NO LOSS OF RESOLUTION. Hard to believe, but this format is GUARANTEED FUTURE PROOF. In fact, tests have shown that images captured in this fashion can last a century or more, ready to be transfered to any new digital format sure to come along.

Finally, that illusive "Film Look" is within our grasp, I can hardly wait!
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders