Post questions for the Canon Product Manager - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old September 15th, 2005, 10:57 PM   #46
Trustee

Chris,
Any word on backwards compatibilty of the new Viewfinder with the XL2?

Thanks!
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 11:07 PM   #47
Regular Crew

ask him/her to visit these forums everyweek (like Jan)
Ram Ganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 11:07 PM   #48
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Marty, official word is no on that, I had an H1 and XL2 side by side for a short while and I should have plugged one EVF into the other camera but just didn't think about it. They're saying no those two viewfinders are not cross-compatible. Same connection jacks, though.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 11:09 PM   #49
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Ganesh
Believe me, I have been hammering on Canon about this for years now.

Jan sets a tough standard for others to follow. The only one who comes close is Ken Freed from JVC. He is a hell of a good guy to know. My only complaint about Ken is that we can't get enough of him.

Old September 16th, 2005, 07:11 AM   #50
Barry Wan Kenobi

I'd like to know:

a) does it have any compatibility with HDV 720p? Can it play back 720p tapes at all... and if so, can it play them back to firewire? and, can it record 720p via firewire, so it could be used to clone tapes?

b) does it have any provision for cloning timecode from the firewire stream, so that it could make an actual clone of an HDV tape (720p or 1080i) including timecode?
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 09:41 AM   #51
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Barry, no 720p at all, sorry.

Old September 16th, 2005, 11:43 AM   #52
Major Player

Clarification on HD-SDI and SD-SDI

I'd like quite a few more technical details on the SDI interface. Yes I know others have asked, but this is the standout feature.

I won't repeat the myriad questions.

Last edited by Alexander Ibrahim; September 16th, 2005 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Wrong thread- sorry
Alexander Ibrahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 12:00 PM   #53
Major Player

Will there be higher resolution viewfinders ?

What I've read so far indicates the viewfinder will be 2.4" 16:9 with ~215,000 pixels.

That is not enough at all. Not even for SD 16:9 in my opinion.

Is this accurate, and will Canon or others of whom Canon is aware be providing higher end viewfinders ?
Old September 16th, 2005, 01:28 PM   #54
Major Player

Sorry if this has already been brought up, but the thread is long and I might have missed it.

Why a servo zoom with no way to over-ride that function? The servo prevents so many things from being possible - a fast rack focus is one. We can not call a camera "professional" unless it allows such a staple function. Other than that, it looks like a great camera although the $9k is a tad much to pay for interchangeable lenses - of course if they could be made manual...
Old September 16th, 2005, 01:48 PM   #55
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Ozzie, good to hear from you. There is a focus preset function on the 20x HD lens for performing rack moves, with a choice of focus speeds (fast, faster, and fastest).

Old September 16th, 2005, 02:42 PM   #56
Inner Circle

Chris,
Does the FU-1000 monchrome viefinder work with it? Any advantages if it does? I seemed to notice the 'lower port' for the FU-1000 viewfinder plug on the body.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 03:17 PM   #57
Major Player

Chris,

Maybe I'm just "old school" but a simple manual focus and manual zoom always works and at whatever speed I want it to work, and I can even change speed in the middle. The presets are great, as is the ability to over-ride the "all auto all the time" functions, but still, I have never understood why not just go all the way with the over-ride functions. Presets are great in the studio where we have the time and need to be right all the time, but in the field where conditions change and we need all the versatility we need, presets can often be a hindrance.

The reason this camera has attracted my attention is because the time has come for HD - all the clients are asking for it, an in 9x16. The camera is the cheapest part of the HD system - the decks, the monitors - that's where the money goes.
Old September 17th, 2005, 01:31 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Ganesh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Believe me, I have been hammering on Canon about this for years now.

Jan sets a tough standard for others to follow. The only one who comes close is Ken Freed from JVC. He is a hell of a good guy to know. My only complaint about Ken is that we can't get enough of him.
How sad that you'd have to beg a rep from a manufacturer to be here in a forum that does not even cost Canon any money or resources.

Kudos to Panasonic and JCV. May not have the XL2 next to my signature after my next equipment purchase.

If I was head of marketing for a video manufacturer, it would be a full-time job for someone to be in this forum and others for 8 hours a day.

ALL these people, BUYING all these products, in one very well organized place. About the only place you'd find such a finely tuned target audience is at any of the yearly conventions for this kind of stuff.
Old September 17th, 2005, 04:15 PM   #59
Regular Crew

Hello Richard,

yes, the Monochrome Viewfinder FU-1000 will be compatible - just have a look here: http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...&modelid=12152.
Robert Niemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2005, 05:31 PM   #60
Major Player

Maybe I'm wrong on this but I thought I read somewhere in another thread on this forum that the XL-H1 viewfinder is capable of doing color/monochrome switching, not just reduced color like the XL2.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders