Post questions for the Canon Product Manager at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old September 14th, 2005, 12:55 PM   #1
Wrangler

Post questions for the Canon Product Manager

Chris H. has asked me to start this thread with your questions for the Canon Product Manager as he will be meeting with him tomorrow. He wants to be able to put forth your most pressing questions that haven't been answered by the information already available here at DVINFO.

Chris also mentioned that starting today, with the announcement of the XLH1 camera, HDV2 now includes 24 frame as part of the spec along with 4 channel 192khz audio. Because Canon is part of the consortium, they were able to bring these new capabilities into the HDV specification.

Also, I asked about GOP length and it is 15 frame GOP ala the Sony. He stated that uncompressed HD is also available via the component outputs, not just the SDI output and all modes, 60i, 30f, 24f are available via these outputs.

Hope that answers some questions. Post your other questions in this thread.

regards,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 01:00 PM   #2
Major Player

Ok.. how about what can it send thoruhg firewire? HDV only?
Does the HDV firestore work with the XLH1?

Can it also output regular SD- SDI when running in SD (or HD!) mode?

and how do you connect the computer that is running the Controller software?
How about tally? could the software possibly send the camera a Tally signal? ..a tally signal that could be sent to the control computer from external hardware, like a switcher?

Can you control multiple cameras with just one computer running the software, or is it one computer per camera?

Put in a request for an adapter to standard Canon Broadcast lenses.. or a lense with internal zoom and focus servos that can use standard Canon Pro lense controls.

- Mikko
Old September 14th, 2005, 01:11 PM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Wilson
and how do you connect the computer that is running the Controller software?

Can you control multiple cameras with just one computer running the software, or is it one computer per camera?

Put in a request for an adapter to standard Canon Broadcast lenses.. or a lense with internal zoom and focus servos that can use standard Canon Pro lense controls.

- Mikko
Mikko, the software connects via firewire according to Canon's website. As for multiple cameras, that is a good question. Thanks for posting.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 01:19 PM   #4

Okay, assuming you're right, Greg (based on our other discussion), and I have no doubt you are, I'd like to know why they stepped over their "prosumer" customers with this model.

Too, I'd like to know why it's twice the price of other HD cameras.

Thank you.

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 01:24 PM   #5
Major Player

Will a 24F or 30F frame retain full resolution. Example: Will a 60i and 24F resolution chart show the same lines of resolution, or will there be some softening of the 24F frame.

I assume 1/48th shutter is a giving considering the 24hz sampling?

Philip Williams
www.philipwilliams.com
Philip Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 02:35 PM   #6
Regular Crew

1) How is 24F different from 24P?

2) Any realistic workflow of making 24F look like 24P in a NLE.
Ram Ganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 02:40 PM   #7
Major Player

Is it possible to record to the DV casette for shorter periods at higher bit rates e.g. 100 bps for 15 min?
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 02:42 PM   #8
Space Hipster

Ask a couple of questions about 24F. Then probe for more details on 24F. You might also ask for some depth white papers on 24F....

Okay, you get the point.

The nature of real progressive frames from this camera is issue #1 for me. I hear what's been said already but without images and the camera in hand, we don't really know that much yet.

However, the good news is that Canon did not lose their mind and understand what a big deal 24p is for their target market.
Old September 14th, 2005, 04:12 PM   #9
Trustee

Since they're tauting it's still ability, does that mean that I'll be able to use my fa-200 (flash adapter) on it or has that been done away with.
Old September 14th, 2005, 09:02 PM   #10
Major Player

Is Canon going to encourage prosumber HD-SDI -> hard disk solutions? i.e., something like a Firestone or an iPod that takes HD-SDI in and converts directly to a codec and stores it?

Suppose for example they made a $1000-$2000 HD-SDI -> DVCPRO-HD drive, or better yet, an HD-SDI -> Cineform drive. Such a device would offer excellent storage capacity, and with these codec's modest disk requirements compared to the full uncompressed signal, offer excellent options for post production work and editing.

Certainly such a product going to HDCAM SR would be ideal - but as an interum step, such a device would not only place the price point of this camera exactly the same as a fully loaded HVX with P2.

-Steve
Steven White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 09:08 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven White
<snip>Suppose for example they made a $1000-$2000 HD-SDI -> DVCPRO-HD drive, or better yet, an HD-SDI -> Cineform drive. <snip>
That sounds great, but its going to cost 2 grand just for a firestore that reads the DVCPRO-HD data stream directly off an HVX. I think packing a processor into a drive unit that can do realtime conversion from HD-SDI to DVCPRO-HD would cost.. well, a lot more than 1-2K :(

Philip Williams
www.philipwilliams.com
Philip Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 09:17 PM   #12
Regular Crew

1. When are going to have some lens options, specifically the wide angle 3x lens, and can I use my ef adapter with eos lenses?

2. is there any way now or in the future to output to 24fps (full rez, i'm sure that we all know what the argument is about), either through a framestore, ipod, harddrive....etc. without the interlace conversion to tape.

michael
Old September 14th, 2005, 09:19 PM   #13
Regular Crew

to add to that, to output in field situation far away from a studio. And options that are low in cost.
Old September 14th, 2005, 09:43 PM   #14
Major Player

Can you downconvert from HDVon tape to DV via the firewire output
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 10:05 PM   #15
Wrangler

yes to the lens question...it is still not clear to me whether i can use existing XL lenses and what will happen to image quality if i do, or if they plan to release a set of HD lenses (what is the advantage of interchangeable lenses, if there are no lenses to switch to?) and if it is compatible with the existing EF adapter and eos lenses...
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders