Kaku Ito's XL H1 video clips -- here's the second batch - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old October 3rd, 2005, 08:30 PM   #46
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaku Ito
The ones says 60 or 30 is not 24 frame mode, others are all 24 frame mode (since members here asked for 24 frame mode).
What kind of camera work do you wanna evaluate? Maybe I or other members can recommend a right file for you.
Am I missing something? Where on the file does it state what frame rate it is at? I don't see it.
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2005, 10:25 PM   #47
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Tibbetts
Am I missing something? Where on the file does it state what frame rate it is at? I don't see it.
I realize this second batch is all 24 frame mode. I was talking about the first batch. Sorry for being so stupid:). I wish you state what kind of camera movement and content you would prefer to see, so I can suggest which file to download to optimize your download.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2005, 03:07 AM   #48
Major Player

Hi Kako,

I just wanted to know what clips were in 24f thats all. So, my understanding is that all of batch 2 is in 24f mode?

I have no preferrence other than to see what 24f looks like, sorry if my questions were confusing. Sometimes I write without thinking.

It's really cool that you are getting this footage for us. I appreciate it alot. I think the content is fine, I have no requests.
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2005, 03:20 AM   #49
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Tibbetts
Hi Kako,

I just wanted to know what clips were in 24f thats all. So, my understanding is that all of batch 2 is in 24f mode?

I have no preferrence other than to see what 24f looks like, sorry if my questions were confusing. Sometimes I write without thinking.

It's really cool that you are getting this footage for us. I appreciate it alot. I think the content is fine, I have no requests.
You are welcome Tony.

Yes, the second batch is all 24 frame mode and pretty much all are with cinegamma 2 setting unless it is specified.

Some people got mixed up that the clips spec. shows it is 29.97 file, because XLH1 24 frame mode is 24 frame emulation within 29.97 format. Am I write Chris?

Also, the most clips in batch 1 are 24 frames unless it is specified with "60" or "30", but no extra gamma curves.
Old October 4th, 2005, 03:24 AM   #50
Trustee

By the way, how do members think the gamma curve characteristics of XLH1?
You can compare "none", "1" and "2" on the bay clips. Please tell me what you think. I want to know your observations.
Old October 4th, 2005, 08:35 AM   #51
Trustee

Kaku, please recommend a 60i clip. I am interested in the wider field of view, with people and motion, cars, water, boats, buses or whatever, but anything that would put the most stress on the HDV mpeg2 encoder, motion or other flaws.

Thanks for your efforts.

Sight unseen, the XL H1 even at the painful pricepoint of $9k may offer more of what I'm looking for.

I wonder if the relative lack of motion related mpeg artifacting as noted by a previous poster when compared to the FX1/Z1 could be a consequence of the absence of the pixel shift paradigm, moreover a benefit of the full 1440x1080 CCD sampling?
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2005, 09:05 AM   #52
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper
Kaku, please recommend a 60i clip. I am interested in the wider field of view, with people and motion, cars, water, boats, buses or whatever, but anything that would put the most stress on the HDV mpeg2 encoder, motion or other flaws.

Thanks for your efforts.

Sight unseen, the XL H1 even at the painful pricepoint of $9k may offer more of what I'm looking for.

I wonder if the relative lack of motion related mpeg artifacting as noted by a previous poster when compared to the FX1/Z1 could be a consequence of the absence of the pixel shift paradigm, moreover a benefit of the full 1440x1080 CCD sampling?
Tom,

I do have some footage that we shot last sunday at a short mountainbike course in the city (next to Makuhari Messe where InterBEE is going to be held next month) and we shot the same angles with XL H1 and FX1 with bunch of cross country mountainbikers are riding. I have to prepare for collage class tomorrow, so I will try to work on some tomorrow night. Meanwhile, you can download bikeseq60 from the first batch for moderate camera work of me riding my bike around doing little tricks in front of my office (shot by my wife). This is my standard procedure and I have the similar clips of all the other cams that I owned and tried before.
My impression is the compression is little less comparing to HC1 and FX1.

The best test is panning the camera in the mountain trails with a lot of trees and plants and follow the fast mountainbiker passing by. It's a guarranty compresion break up on FX1 and HC1.
Old October 4th, 2005, 09:17 AM   #53
Trustee

bikeseq60 it is then! Thanks!
Tom
Old October 4th, 2005, 09:17 AM   #54
Trustee

My pleasure.
Old October 4th, 2005, 09:01 PM   #55
Trustee

My observation...

Well, regrettably I cannot download bikeseq60 because my only broadband path is my Verizon cell phone, that halts downloads after 50mb. I did manage this way to get the carspassing clip.

Kaku made no representations, and offered his clips in the spirit of demonstrating what a camcorder could have difficulty with. I commend the honesty of allowing the clips to speak for themselves.

The sum total of my viewing experience of the XL H1 comes from the one clip, but still it absolutely jumped out at me how strikingly similar it looked to footage shot with my JVC GR-HD1. And I'm afraid that's not what I hoped for. Highlights were badly blown, color saturation is muted, and 24F...well I don't like it.

To be sure of my observations, I loaded up some clips from my GR-HD1 and a few I downloaded from the Sony Z1U. The Canon optics look superb. But the color temperature was cool. I much prefer the warmth of the Z1U clip. The GR-HD1 looks as sharp to me, but by comparison to either has horrid artifacts and chroma noise. The Canon was razor sharp, and held together during the panning and motion. The Z1U clips have the best latitude and tonality, nicely detailed.

I need to see more. The XL H1 has so many controls I'm sure it's capable of much more.
Old October 5th, 2005, 05:10 AM   #56
Regular Crew

I like my HC1 better..it's more sharp... and if i use wide lense it shows better pic than xlh1 .$9k for this camera? rip off....FX1 or Z1u would be best choice.
Jung Kyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 05:21 AM   #57
Regular Crew

Kaku, can You make some resolution charts, please?
Robert Niemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 05:50 AM   #58
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Niemann
Kaku, can You make some resolution charts, please?
Robert,

I don't have the camera anymore, it was only for the last weekend.
Old October 5th, 2005, 05:53 AM   #59
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper
Well, regrettably I cannot download bikeseq60 because my only broadband path is my Verizon cell phone, that halts downloads after 50mb. I did manage this way to get the carspassing clip.

Kaku made no representations, and offered his clips in the spirit of demonstrating what a camcorder could have difficulty with. I commend the honesty of allowing the clips to speak for themselves.

The sum total of my viewing experience of the XL H1 comes from the one clip, but still it absolutely jumped out at me how strikingly similar it looked to footage shot with my JVC GR-HD1. And I'm afraid that's not what I hoped for. Highlights were badly blown, color saturation is muted, and 24F...well I don't like it.

To be sure of my observations, I loaded up some clips from my GR-HD1 and a few I downloaded from the Sony Z1U. The Canon optics look superb. But the color temperature was cool. I much prefer the warmth of the Z1U clip. The GR-HD1 looks as sharp to me, but by comparison to either has horrid artifacts and chroma noise. The Canon was razor sharp, and held together during the panning and motion. The Z1U clips have the best latitude and tonality, nicely detailed.

I need to see more. The XL H1 has so many controls I'm sure it's capable of much more.
Yep, Tom.
I think I tried to do too much. It wouldn't do justice to this cam if we don't spend the time. So, pepole should watch my clips as just quick test, not thorough planning and careful preparation, and how much the cam can do without them.
Old October 5th, 2005, 05:56 AM   #60
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jung Kyu
I like my HC1 better..it's more sharp... and if i use wide lense it shows better pic than xlh1 .$9k for this camera? rip off....FX1 or Z1u would be best choice.
Some clip don't come sharp as it should maybe, because I had hard time focusing with the color LCD and I wasn't used to varifocus (should I call this?) that needs so much adjustment when I change the zoom position.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders