Kaku Ito's XL H1 video clips -- here's the second batch - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old October 9th, 2005, 02:09 PM   #76
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper
They are not periodic. The Canon 24F mode appears to be capturing at 60i (30 fps). You can thus drop every 5th frame and replace it with a flag to repeat the 4th, (so that the it doesn't play back speeded up), to get a filmic look. And though you get 24 discrete frames every second that way, the cadence is irregular.

To do this right, you have to have a variable frame rate like the HVX200, which this cam does not.
I'm confused about your methodology, but I won't debate it.

The Canon 24F streams I have (the true ones that weren't mislabeled), act identically to the 24fps streams I have from my own HD100. Same rendering of motion, everything.
Old October 9th, 2005, 02:13 PM   #77
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper
... you have to have a variable frame rate like the HVX200, which this cam does not.
Actually the HVX200 does *not* have variable frame rates. It has selectable frame rates. There is a big difference between variable and selectable. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2005, 02:22 PM   #78
Major Player

I doubt it's worth getting that technical Chris...

Even the Varicam has only frame rates between 1 and 60 in integer steps. If you want truly continuously variable, you have to consider an analog crank I guess.

-Steve
Steven White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 07:27 PM   #79
Trustee

all i can muster right now... is WOW!

Thanks my Ito&Chris for bringing us advanced footages before the cam's even released. This is incredible previlege to be a part of a group to see a dawn of a new revolution =).

i'm projecting some of those images on my 80" front screen projector and all the footages look awesome. i'm so gettin this.... in 5 years after price drops =). with all these new HDV cams coming out, we're coming upon an impasse. yesh it is still "video" but so was star wars episode ii&iii (so far the MOST financially successful "video" movies ever).
Old November 4th, 2005, 08:06 PM   #80
Regular Crew

Has anyone else noticed that this camera seems to exhibit FAARRR less MPEG artifacting than the Sony? I mean, how is this possible?

Is it because the image is being compressed as a progressive image, and not interlaced? If you shoot in CF25 on the Z1U, does it produce less artifacting than in 60i?
Daniel Broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2005, 10:36 PM   #81
Regular Crew

I know that progessive frames like up a lot less storage (for the same quality) than interlaced frames. Each interlaced frame is really two frames in one (fields).

So for the same bit rates, progressive "frames" are much less artifact free then interlaced "fields".

Remember Kakus clips (except one) are also 24fps and not even 30fps, and so there is even more allocated data for each frame.

Personally I think that unless there is a lot of movement, at 24fps there will hardly be any noticable MPEG-2 baddies...
Hse Kha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2005, 10:37 PM   #82
Regular Crew

<<If you shoot in CF25 on the Z1U, does it produce less artifacting than in 60i?>>

For sure.
Hse Kha is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders