Will the XL-H1A LENS (3-ring) Work on XL-H1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old October 12th, 2014, 03:23 AM   #1
Major Player

Will the XL-H1A LENS (3-ring) Work on XL-H1?

I have the XL-H1A and want to know if I got an XL-H1 (body only), whether the iris ring on my stock 20X 3-ring lens will work 100% on the XL-H1, if anybody knows. There are many XL-H1 cameras going for under $2,000, whereas the "S" models are much rarer and $1,500 more. Now, If I find a XL-H1S body for $2,500 I might just go for it.

Thanks,
Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2014, 09:07 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Will the XL-H1A LENS (3-ring) Work on XL-H1?

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer to your questions. What does the "S" model give you that is above and beyond what comes on the XLH1 or the XLH1a. Also, do you know if you can record to the XLH1 with both the date and time displayed on the image?
Maurice Covington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2014, 10:35 PM   #3
Major Player

The XL-H1 and XL-H1S have the HD-SDI output, allowing recording of uncompressed video. The "S" has audio on this output as well, whereas the XL-H1 does not, so you'd have to get audio off a separate output. Not a huge deal-breaker. At some point they updated the stock lens, to include the third ring for iris control. I don't know if that undated lens was shipped with the older XL-H1 or only after they came out with the "S" and "A" models.

Mark
Old October 16th, 2014, 11:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The 6x wide angle hd lens has 3 rings and works flawlessly with the older XL H1.
Norbert Holzmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2014, 11:57 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Norbert. And that 6x lens is one more good reason to hang onto this camera. I shot some footage of a slow moving train, tripod right next to the tracks and with the 6x... sweeeeeet.
Old October 17th, 2014, 11:35 AM   #6
Major Player

This all sounds great! I'm actually expecting a recent purchase from Ebay today; the 6X wide lens. I have heard some awesome things about this lens.
Old October 17th, 2014, 12:04 PM   #7
Major Player

I've seen the low prices on those now. I paid full price for a new one, well, it was $2600 I think I paid, winter of 2010. There was some firmware that goes with that lens. Mine came with a SD card in the box with the update on it. You might want to research that so you are sure to be getting the most out of it.

Every time I watch that train footage I'm really glad I got that lens. I'm also reminded that an old Thai woman sent a boy over to warn me that I was too close to the tracks. He told me to move about another foot away. Had I not, I'd have certainly been hit. Afterwards I ran over to a 7-11 and bought every kind of refreshment for that woman.

I don't remember how the time/date works and don't have the camera with me on this trip.

Mark
Old October 17th, 2014, 12:12 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks for the input. I was not aware of an update for the lens. As soon as it arrives, I'll call Canon and ask them about it. Wow $2,600.00 . I paid $313.00 plus shipping and it appears to be almost complete. I say almost because, I am not aware that I will receive an SD card with firmware.

Oh yeah, I figured out the date/time feature but it sounds like I need to purchase software to included the date and time as it is typically shown in a deposition.
Old October 18th, 2014, 07:29 PM   #9
Regular Crew

The 6x wide HD lens is AMAZING... I purchased one at the same time I bought my XL-H1A, paid $2799 for it if I recall sometime in 2010, worth every penny. It may be the finest lens I have used...
The software update that comes on a card with the lens is for the XL-H1 camera... I did not need to apply it to my XL-H1A, as it was already at the correct firmware level.
Old October 18th, 2014, 08:23 PM   #10
Major Player

The lens came yesterday in like new condition and wouldn't you know, something in the tape dack; a roller perhaps, broke off. Now I am sending in everything. The rep said they would install the firmware and check everything so it looks like I'll have to wait to see what this lens can do. Similar to what you guys have said here, I have heard some really nice things and now I'm seeing everyone trying to sell of this camera line as well as the XHA1's etc. I shot with my XLH1 side by side with the Canon XF300 in a banquet hall with average lighting and I can honestly say the XLH1 held up extremely well. I did use significantly more of the XF300 footage but when I switched in the XLH1 footage it was not noticeable to my client nor much in any at all to me.

Do you guys use any of the white lenes with this camera and if so, are they any good?
Old October 19th, 2014, 09:26 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Hi Maurice -

Nope I have personally not used any white lenses on my XL-H!a, but I do have an XL2 with the standard 20x zoom , 16x manual, and (expensive!) 3x wide they made for it... but to be honest.. between the 20x that comes with the H1A, and the 6x wide I have, I have never needed anything else... :) they really are THAT good...
Now with all that said it would be kinda cool to get an XL-EOS adapter and put one of those ultra expensive canon 400mm+ zooms on the H1A and see how it looks ... : ) unfortunately way out of my price range to even consider
Old October 19th, 2014, 09:58 AM   #12
Major Player

I have the EF Adapter XL and have filmed with the 100-400mm and 70-200mm 2.8, with and without the 1.4X Extender. It practically turns the camera into a telescope. The shorter lenses I put on, 50mm, 24-105mm and 100mm MACRO, didn't seem to offer any advantage. One I haven't tried is my 24mm TS-E lens, just to see what happens. The image quality is okay with the EF lenses, but you have to have a very good tripod and be on solid ground due to any vibration getting amplified in your footage. I got some 19mm rails to help hold all that weight. That adapter ran me about $400 in Bangkok.

There's a picture of the setup in this thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl...er-xl-h1a.html

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders