Pete-Did you get it yet? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old December 6th, 2005, 10:20 AM   #16
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
He'll have to send it back to Canon to get the 50i/60i switchability.
Like he!! I'm going to send it in. ;-)

What Chris is mentioning is that the capability to shoot both NTSC and PAL is something that CAN be switched on -- for an additional cost -- at a Canon Authorized Service Center, but the camera ships from the factory as either PAL or NTSC, not both. I don't need PAL presently, but that option is available for those who need both systems.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 11:17 AM   #17
Inner Circle

If you don't mind saying, what did you pay for the camera with the lens? Also, how much for an extra battery and what is your impression of how long the stock battery will last while shooting?
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 11:24 AM   #18
Major Player

I think nearly everyone has this right at $8999. KW
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 11:52 AM   #19
Regular Crew

I don't really care about the additional cost,it's just that i probably wouldn't want to send the camera back right after i get it :D
Does anyone know where i can buy a PAL model?
Pete Tomov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 12:34 PM   #20
Wrangler

Yeah, at this point I don't think you'll find a reputable dealer -- and certainly not an authorized dealer -- selling at discount. I paid the standard price through Zotz Digital, a DVinfo.net sponsor.

Too soon to personally verify this, but Canon rates the new batteries for significantly longer than the standard batteries that shipped with the XL2. They're still labeled as Lithium Ion, but apparently use some newer graphite technology or something. The estimated battery life for all the batteries is listed in a table in the H1 user's manual; there is a link in a sticky thread at the top of the forum for the manual pdf. Don't know what the batteries will cost individually at retail, but I'd suppose that "new and improved" will mean "more pricey."
Old December 6th, 2005, 12:59 PM   #21
Major Player

Pete, when you get some time, can you check something? Does the EVF have a setting for it to be flipped (upside down) for use with a P&S Technik or other adapter? Prelease rumors mentioned this, but I don't see it in the manual.

I'm very disappointed that in this day and age, the EVF is still overscanned. That is just crazy and very un-pro. Looking forward to begin dazzled by some ftg, though.

Thanks a bunch.

Kevin
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 01:17 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Thanks Pete for the info! I ordered mine today for 7750.- EUR I really hope this is no fake because everywhere else its about 8900.- EUR.

Is there any trusty release date for good old europe - especially for austria - if so please tell me.

I REALLY have a very hard time waiting to see more footage... Please Pete please .... neeed some footage ... ;)
Michael Karrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 02:36 PM   #23
Wrangler

Kevin,

I've never used the mini35, but I think the answer to your question is "yes." Page 92 of the manual describes the "EVF Flip" feature.

Pete T,

I forgot to mention earlier that I would NOT read anything into any color cast in the frame grabs I have posted. I used auto white balance and no custom presets on the XL H1; also had mixed 3000K Flo tubes and plain old overhead home incandescent lights burning, so it was kind of a messed up color temperature environment...was really going purely for rez testing as quickly as I could get it done. In addition, it seems that the wood cabinetry and tan wall paint in my house cast the color toward the pink/red look. Along those lines, the XL2 image showed so pink on the monitor that I DID actually bother to switch to the incandescent WB setting to whiten up the image.

Michael,

Sorry I personally don't have any info on European distribution. Maybe someone else has heard something?

All,

I'll try to have at least one or two very short video clips posted by tomorrow morning. But for now, gotta go pick the kiddo up from school...sadly, life won't just stop for a few days so I can play with the camera more!
Old December 6th, 2005, 04:11 PM   #24
Trustee

Pal H1

Michael, the PAL H1 is on the shelf here in Norway. But its rather expensive, 9240 Eur (10800 US$).
So I quess that it should show up in Austria soon.

- Per Johan
Per Johan Naesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 05:36 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Michael, I guess, Your price is without the value-added tax (7750x16/100+7750=8990)!
A dealer here in Berlin has told me: date of delivery around christmas.
Robert Niemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 09:10 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Pete, well, send it to me, and I can run it through it's paces here in sweet home Alabama. (I actually hate this state, but that is beside the point)
Daniel Broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 11:28 PM   #27
Wrangler

Dan, nice try. NO dice. ;-)

I updated my web site with one short 24F clip using a beta version of Aspect HD 3.4 (new update that supports the H1) within PPro 1.5.1. Same link as yesterday: http://www.geosynchrony.com/scratchpad.htm

Big thanks to David Taylor at Cineform for letting me try the non-public beta!
Old December 7th, 2005, 01:36 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Robert,

no its with the tax actually with 20% Tax so the price without tax is 6491,6 EUR...

Thanks all for the info! Pete, big DANKESCHÖN (thanks) for the clip !!!
Michael Karrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2005, 04:34 AM   #29
Regular Crew

What is that!? By watching the "H1 24F Coin Twirl" clip with Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 in 24p mode frame by frame, there sometimes the motion stops for one frame (five times: 00:00:00:09 -> 00:00:00:10, 00:00:00:12 -> 00:00:00:13, 00:00:00:15 -> 00:00:00:16, 00:00:00:18 -> 00:00:00:19, 00:00:00:21 -> 00:00:00:22). And the clip is definitely not progressive (for instance look at 00:00:02:01 - terrible!).
Robert Niemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2005, 05:50 AM   #30
Trustee

I made the same observation weeks ago from Kaku Ito's clip, "Cars Passing."

I think 24F still is recording at 60i and using pulldown.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders