EF Adapter with XL H1 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old December 30th, 2005, 09:44 AM   #61
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Doherty
ICan any of you guys confirm whether you get the same warning message with the EF adaptor on the XL H1.
Yes, the XL H1 gives this warning with the EF adaptor. However, not sure whether it takes as long as 10 seconds.
Lauri Kettunen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 09:58 AM   #62
Regular Crew

Many thanks for the information Lauri. Does the warning message prevent you from recording? If it does then I can see that waiting even 5 seconds for the warning message to disappear is a major disadvantage. I think there would be quite a few occasions when it would make all the difference between getting a useable shot and missing an opportunity.

Any clarification on how long it lasts and whether it stops you recording would be very helpful.

Thanks again.
Paul Doherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 07:30 AM   #63
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Doherty
Does the warning message prevent you from recording?
In my understanding no, at least I have not noticed that it blocked from recording. I'll check this and measure the precise time next time I attach the adapter to the camcorder.
Old December 31st, 2005, 10:08 AM   #64
Regular Crew

OK thanks for that. It's good to hear that it doesn't stop you from recording. If you get chance to check exactly what it does that be very useful to know.

Once again thanks for your help.

Best Wishes for 2006
Paul Doherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 12:52 PM   #65
Major Player

Hello friends,

I tried to record without lens at all (to capture a picture through a microscope via an empty toilet paper roll).

XL H1 announced "NO LENS" in red but it was recording fine. My guess is these are only warning messages. Thanks Canon to not lock the camera up.

I wish you all a HAPPY NEW YEAR from our snowy landscape with about 25 cm of new fresh snow.
Johan Forssblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 01:54 PM   #66
Wrangler

the toilet paper roll lens! brilliant! i love it! that's the best use of an H1 yet!

yet another question for lauri: have you, by any chance, tried your 100-400mm telephoto lens yet? since it is telephoto, it is probably not as sharp as the prime, but is it sharper than the 70-200mm on the H1? i have been thinking about purchasing one of these for a still camera, it would be nice to know if it would be useful on the H1 as well....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 02:25 PM   #67
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
100-400mm telephoto lens yet?
This lens produced less sharp image with XL2, so have not even thought about it.
Old January 5th, 2006, 09:23 AM   #68
Major Player

H1+100-400mm

Hello Lauri,
I would be very interested by more details on this lens and the XL-H1. Even if there is a loss of details, do you think this solution is efficient for wild life videomakers ?

If you, or someone else, can post a picture made with the standard 20X zoom at max (average 700mm in 24x36) and the 100-400 at 100 (average 700mm too in 24x36), that would be very instructive.
I suppose that above 200mmm on the 100-400, it becomes too much difficult to target the subject...

Thank you !
Old January 5th, 2006, 05:35 PM   #69
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan Fournier
If you, or someone else, can post a picture made with the standard 20X zoom at max (average 700mm in 24x36) and the 100-400 at 100 (average 700mm too in 24x36), that would be very instructive.
As you wish; I'll try tomorrow to take the shots you ask for.
Old January 6th, 2006, 04:51 AM   #70
Major Player

That's very kind, Lauri. Thanks a lot!
Old January 6th, 2006, 12:55 PM   #71
Major Player

Ronan, there's now a comparison betweeen the standard 20x and the EF100-400L lens at my webpage www.luontovideo.net -> Special.

The footages were taken indoors, for I've been working outdoors the few hours when there's some light. The settings were gamma=cine1, gain=+12db and some fine adjustment with the custom presets.
Old January 6th, 2006, 01:28 PM   #72
Skyonic New York

so whats the verdict, the only thing i can tell from the mpg is that the eos is darker...

do you have uncompressed stills to show resolution?

what are your eyes telling you?

is the eos adapter killing resolution on the h1 like canon says?

alot of questions ...thanks
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 02:11 PM   #73
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Mann Z.
so whats the verdict, the only thing i can tell from the mpg is that the eos is darker...
Yes, because there was not enough light for the EF100-400. Verdict? If we are only able to tell that the eos is darker, that already suggests the EF adapter and the EF100-400 (in the 100mm end) is not bad at all.

I'm at the artic circle right now and don't have any monitor to view the footages in full rez. Consequently, bit hesitate to make definite conclusions. However, I did look at the footages in Premiere, and was bit amazed that the footages were so close to each other. (Still, in the 400mm end the EF lens is not as good as the 400mm prime.)

Summing up, so far I see no reasons why the EF adapter and lenses could not be used with the XL H1. The whole thing seems to work just fine.
Old January 7th, 2006, 04:08 AM   #74
Major Player

Thanks again Lauri !

Very interesting. It's true both images are closes. However, even if the EF is darker, it seems that the contrast is a bit higher and I can't see chromatic aberration in the corners of the picture, on the contrary to the 20x's picture (magenta, in the left edge of the box, ).

So, for the moment, it appears that we may think about this EF 100-400 as a 720-2880mm lens (because of the x7,2 coef) for wildilfe filmaking.

Now there is another question : at the 200mm range, I suppose the 70-200 is better because, among others, it opens at 2,8. So the 100-400 is usefull only if it is possible to shoot in the range between 250-400mm, (which means 1800-2880 !)
In your opinion, what is the higher useable focal limit, when pan and tilt (with a good tripod of course). Do you think the 350-400mm range in useable at last for fixes shots ?

By the way, is it the same EF adapter than the one for the XL1 & XL2 or a new designed for HD ?

Last edited by Ronan Fournier; January 7th, 2006 at 04:40 AM.
Ronan Fournier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders