XL-H1 and P+S test - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old January 6th, 2006, 07:53 AM   #31
Regular Crew

For the Mac users:

I've found streamclip smoother than than vlc for viewing the m2t files.
HTH

vince
Vince Gaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 07:53 AM   #32
Trustee

ARGH I'm so upset with apple and iDisk, it seems that it will load the footage to my iDisk but then not close out, this is so unbelieveably frustraiting (oh and now I'm a little hungover to so that doesn't help anything...) Of course I am used to everything just working so I can't get too upset with apple.

If anyone wants to host more of the files I've got some more I can give you and a couple of tests to do today.

I'll see if production will let me load one or two clips from the actual shooting on saturday, it may not be possible, but I think I can swing it.

::EDIT::
Also why am I not suprised that the one clip that loaded was of my ugly mug, and happened to be the longest one, blah.

Last edited by Nick Hiltgen; January 6th, 2006 at 10:22 AM.
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 08:05 AM   #33
Obstreperous Rex

I think I can help ya... check yer email,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 10:53 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Well I only got the Run Dan Run clip and it looks really nice but kinna soft.
Is it possible that the mini35 isn't sharp enough for the h1?
Pete Tomov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 11:41 AM   #35
Major Player

Where are these clips? All I keep seeing are 0KB download pages

I'd be happy to mirror these to my iDisk too if I could get a URL where they actually are.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 12:06 PM   #36
Regular Crew

"Where are these clips? All I keep seeing are 0KB download pages"

just hit the dowload icon. they're mis-marked.

HTH

vince
Vince Gaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 12:11 PM   #37
Regular Crew

But only the second one works for me.With the first one I get "file not found" and the third is a 1kb file.
Pete Tomov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 12:42 PM   #38
Major Player

I could only download Run Dan Run. Looks interesting...still kind of strange. It's kind of "gritty".

Is the look intentional, Nick? I like it but it's definitely not all that sharp.

Thanks for putting it up. Hope we can see more.
Old January 6th, 2006, 01:00 PM   #39
Major Player

Do you have any with/without adapter comparisons?
Mike Marriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 02:38 PM   #40
Trustee

Sorry the run dan run clip, was kinda just a test for breakup, and focus became less of an issue(it wasn't the adapter it was the operator). the nick walks clip is a little more focal accurate, and the "shake" clip also hit's focus once or twice. To be honest, it looked pretty sharp on the monitor when we checked it so I'm wondering if it's the HDVxDV but I'll look again. I think I have some clips without the adapter, but not from that shoot, and the lighting is completely different. so it wouldn't be a fair comparison.

The look is purposefully disaturated (directors choice) and the intention is to be sort of 16mm-ish again think, 28 days later. The Run Dan Run clip had a polarizer on I believe. Yeah I don't know whats up with .mac I'm trying to FTP the clips to chris right now.

Just viewed them on a computer monitor I think I see what you guys are talking about. the softness is mostly due to the operator, but it's possible there's a problem with the mini 35 (or a cloudy lens ::Sigh::), but let's say it's 98% operator. I'm not super happy with the appearance either but I will say it looks better played back through the camera on a monitor. But hey it's only test stuff now, so no harm no fowl.
Old January 6th, 2006, 02:47 PM   #41
Major Player

It's all good. Please show us more whenever you can.
Old January 7th, 2006, 05:02 AM   #42
Trustee

Hey Barlow congrats on your camera, I spoke with production and I should be able to upload some full on clips later on (probably after 9:00 pm EST), so I'll FTP those to chris when I get the chance.
Old January 7th, 2006, 12:49 PM   #43
Trustee

Hopefully I'll be able to upload some actual production clips from today, later on, but in the mean time, I'm a little curious as to whether the resolution is too high for a mini 35. (may just be too much grain). Ok have to go back to set.
Old January 7th, 2006, 11:49 PM   #44
Trustee

Ok sorry about to go to sleep, after a along day of shooting, I'm going to try and pull one of my favorite (well everyone's really) shots tomorrow good light, good depth of field A fast shutter speed (1/120)and a little contrasty.

That being said, for this shoot we're looking for a little but gritty so it works, but I'm beginning to think that the mini 35 with xl-h1 may not be good enough, like perhaps the grain isn't fine enough if that makes sense. (?) Perhaps someone will be able to confirm or deny this, but I really am starting to think that at this level P+S may have to devlop some "HDV" alternative that splits the difference between the pro 35 (ground glass) and the mini 35 (form factor). I could be wrong, but this is where I'm leaning.
Old January 8th, 2006, 12:18 AM   #45
Major Player

I'd still like to see more, Nick, but what you're saying makes sense. The H1 is astoundingly sharp, and I wonder if the fact that they've crammed so many pixels into a such a small imager might mean that this camera would technically be even MORE demanding on the pro version, if they made it for a XL mount?
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders