XL-H1 and P+S test at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old January 3rd, 2006, 04:32 PM   #1
Trustee

XL-H1 and P+S test

Well, with this delay thing mostly resolved, we're going through with the lens tests tomorrow. We did some preliminary tests for shading the camera and setting up a look (the directors like the cine 2 setting for both the gamma and color matrix, along with crushed blacks and a few other tweaks) Tomorrow I'll tweaka few more things and I've requested a large monitor so I can check for lit pixels and any other issues that I may have missed earlier. So I'm opening up to any and all for things to test. I'm not sure how long I'll have to play around but I'll check as much as possible. I'll be taking some pictures of the rig as well and will try to get some footage captured for those interested. (we'll be using super-speeds) so we can see what can be done in post.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 04:37 PM   #2
Major Player

Nick,

Please post whatever footage you can. If you need help or a place to upload, you can use my iDisk.

btw, are you guys strictly shooting HDV, or are you piping SDI into some other recorder? Would love to see examples from both, if it's possible.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 04:43 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

I'll be happy to host video clips right here at DV Info Net for you, Nick. Please take some still photos of the rig! Stills are always great to see.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 06:28 PM   #4
Trustee

Just an update, the adpater, is running a day late so we'll be testing on thursday instead now.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 07:13 PM   #5
Major Player

It's be great if you post what lenses you are hooking up to it, too.

Thx. Can't wait.

Kevin
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 09:08 PM   #6
Trustee

Kevin, I believe we'll be using (at least I requested) zeiss super speeds (from pc&e in atlanta) we should be using the 18,35,50 and 85mm lengths. but again I think we're getting a bit of a deal so it might be a take what you get sort of thing.
Old January 4th, 2006, 02:03 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Nick, can you post some production stills of the H1 on the set..?
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 07:04 PM   #8
Regular Crew

This should be real fun to see! Let's all go out and film 28 Days Later 2 together after seeing this. =)
Alexander Nikishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 03:45 PM   #9
Trustee

Wahoo! Tests are done, the camera held up beautifully, or to be more accurate the codec held up, there was a small grain issue but I believe that may have been on the relay lens, not related to the camera. So here's the deal, I have footage, and pics what do you guys want to see, and more importantly what's the best way for me to get off of my camera onto my hard drive. (I have a mac) the tests I did earlier with HDVxDV were great but that will only give me a dv res to post, so if someone has a solution for macs and 24F I've got the footage.

So that being said here's a tease. I was super impressed (everyone was) with the results, again, not just the straight HD-SDI out but also the HDV compression, it just really holds up. Now it is entirely possible I'm missing some huge post issue, but it really looked good on the 20" CRT monitor we had set up. The "operators" were complaining about the weight and I offered to let them pick up an f900 but there's definitely a little bit of weight distribution problem, I think it will be overcome, but we're also playing with the "DVRIG" set up too (which I also have pictures of)

Anyhow like I said I'm super impressed with this cam, and this set up, now I offer up the footage (as soon as there is a way) for everyone to disect and tear apart. Oh and alexander the movie we're shooting is definitely similar to 28 days later so, we'll see how that turns out...
Old January 5th, 2006, 04:01 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Chris Hurd,

step up to the plate and give nick some FTP server space babe!

This is the first offereing of professional production work done with the H1 outside of Canons material....

LINK TO XLH1 MATERIAL: http://www.pbase.com/Arrfilms

Michael Pappas
Arrfilms@hotmail.com
PappasArts & Arrfilms Main site
http://www.pbase.com/Arrfilms
http://www.PappasArts.com
http://www.Myspace.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hiltgen
Wahoo! Tests are done, the camera held up beautifully, or to be more accurate the codec held up, there was a small grain issue but I believe that may have been on the relay lens, not related to the camera. So here's the deal, I have footage, and pics what do you guys want to see, and more importantly what's the best way for me to get off of my camera onto my hard drive. (I have a mac) the tests I did earlier with HDVxDV were great but that will only give me a dv res to post, so if someone has a solution for macs and 24F I've got the footage.

So that being said here's a tease. I was super impressed (everyone was) with the results, again, not just the straight HD-SDI out but also the HDV compression, it just really holds up. Now it is entirely possible I'm missing some huge post issue, but it really looked good on the 20" CRT monitor we had set up. The "operators" were complaining about the weight and I offered to let them pick up an f900 but there's definitely a little bit of weight distribution problem, I think it will be overcome, but we're also playing with the "DVRIG" set up too (which I also have pictures of)

Anyhow like I said I'm super impressed with this cam, and this set up, now I offer up the footage (as soon as there is a way) for everyone to disect and tear apart. Oh and alexander the movie we're shooting is definitely similar to 28 days later so, we'll see how that turns out...
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 04:08 PM   #11
Major Player

HOT DAMMIT Nick, please show these people the footage so they can stop smacking me around for not showing any! *smile*

Use HDVxDV to capture the 24p .M2T files and upload those directly. That way we'll get full resolution 23.976fps footage from the cameras minidv tape.

From there, go ahead and down convert some of that stuff to quicktime for the mac users who don't care to see the raw footage. Someone on the PC side (michael? barlow?) will make some .WMV's from the .M2T footage for us PC guys who don't care to see the raw footage.

What shutter speed were you at? 1/250th like your movie is goig to be, or 1/48th?

Ya know, I wonder if the relay lens in the Mini35 will be updated for HD cameras since it seems they are beginning to give people problems with quality. It seems that's the only bottleneck I am hearing about these days when it comes to the Mini35 and HD cameras.

- ShannonRawls.com
Old January 5th, 2006, 07:18 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
I was super impressed (everyone was) with the results, again, not just the straight HD-SDI out but also the HDV compression, it just really holds up.
Was any SDI recorded? or just HDV?

Look forward to seeing the clips.
Ashley Hosking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 07:18 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Nick, did you take photographs of the XL-H1 in production?
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 07:29 PM   #14
Trustee

Michael, HA professional... these were just lens tests,

OK HDVxDV it is, We were shooting at a slower shutter speed then 1/250 alternating mostly between 1/90 1/120 and the standard 1/48. Chris has already generously offered up the space for some previous tests, so let's not harass him too much ;) I'll import some of the footage now, and let you guys go to town.

(warning I'm also going to be drinking tonight so if some specs seem wrong, well there you go.)
Old January 5th, 2006, 07:31 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Oh. I thought your working on a film with the H1...

Quote:
Michael, HA professional... these were just lens tests,

OK HDVxDV it is, We were shooting at a slower shutter speed then 1/250 alternating mostly between 1/90 1/120 and the standard 1/48. Chris has already generously offered up the space for some previous tests, so let's not harass him too much ;) I'll import some of the footage now, and let you guys go to town.

(warning I'm also going to be drinking tonight so if some specs seem wrong, well there you go.)
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders