Some observations on use - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old January 13th, 2006, 04:03 PM   #16
Major Player

Steven: I'm told, though, by people who know way more than I ever will, that shooting HDV for the internet is the way to go. The resulting image after compression is less adversely stepped on than with SD.. True?
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 06:06 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
shooting HDV for the internet is the way to go. The resulting image after compression is less adversely stepped on than with SD.. True?
there isn't enuf bandwidth to properly serve up 640x480 sd, much less serve up hd rez files over the 'net... so they could only be referring to cutting the resolution down from hd to something like 320x240?

the big question here is, how accurate is the push-to-focus button? if everything works the way that it should, you wouldn't have to rely on the viewfinder.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 07:46 PM   #18
Major Player

The autofocus is acurate, but as I said before, sluggish. The lens is really big compared to the competition, so that probably explains it. Understand, I'm being hyper-critical when I say it's slow... For others it may be fine.

The thing I really don't like is the momentary switch, it's hard to nudge without moving the camera (hand-held) and it kind of snags until you get used to it.

I don't use autofocus much because I like to shoot through things in the foreground, like leaves or traffic, and that poses a problem.

I do very much like the footage readout in the viewfinder.. It may not be ruler accurate (I don't know, I haven't tested it) but it lets you quess distances and set the lens, very useful when at wide angle. I used to shoot a lot with an underwater housing (Bolex again) in my younger years, and I worked as an AC while a student at UCLA, so I learned to guess at distances pretty accurately.. Steve Rosen
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 08:17 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rosen
The thing I really don't like is the momentary switch, it's hard to nudge without moving the camera (hand-held) and it kind of snags until you get used to it.
thanks for the info, i use the push-to-focus button on the xl1s extensively, i never use automatic autofocus, and that momentary switch arrangement looks rather difficult to operate, compared to the xl1s version.

i really like the idea of a backfocus adjustment, tho! wish the xl1s had it.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders