Playback of HVR-Z1u HDV tapes on XLH1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old January 15th, 2006, 05:16 PM   #1
New Boot

Playback of HVR-Z1u HDV tapes on XLH1

To those who may now!
Will the Canon XL-H1 playback HDV 60i tapes shot on the Sony HVR-Z1U?

Thanks so much,
Anthony Miles.
Anthony Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 07:55 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I just posted this on another thread. This straight form the KONA LH white papers. "Note: Canon footage shot on the XL H1 can be played back on the Sony HDV deck so I have not included it in a separate
category. Uniquely Canon does offer an HD-SDI output option so that output could be fed directly to the KonaLH/LHe HD-SDI
input instead of via deck analog component HD output. The Canon camera does not offer analog HD component output."
Does it work the other way... Da know
Lou Squitieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 08:00 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks, but I tried to play back 24f in a Z1 and No Go

Lou,
Thanks. FWIW, I did try playing back some test footage I shot on a canon XL-H1 on a Sony Z1u that I have and it does not play back. Since I am considering purchasing the Canon and selling the Z1U I need to know if I can playback all the Sony 60i tapes I have in the Canon.

Thanks again,
Anthony Miles
Old January 15th, 2006, 08:16 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I wonder if the video needs to be captured through the component-out on the Z1, when using a canon tape. I am supposed to talk with AJA tomorrow, so I'll let ya know
Old January 15th, 2006, 08:20 PM   #5
New Boot

When I stuck the Canon 24f tape in the Z1 it didn't get an image on the cameras LCD screen so I assumed it would not play back at all. I have heard the 60i footage from the Canon will playback on the Sony equipment but I can not confirm that.
Old January 15th, 2006, 08:25 PM   #6
Major Player

Well...not sure if reverse compatibility helps figure this one out, but just today I had a guy over with a Z1 SONY HDV tape and it played back fine in the Canon H1. Seems like the reverse would be true. Let's hope a new deck comes out soon for all of this!

KW
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 08:29 PM   #7
New Boot

Kevin,
Thanks, that is what I needed to know. I have about 50 hours of material shot on the Z1 and need to be able to play it back once the Z1 is sold and the canon is in house.

Thank you.
Old January 15th, 2006, 09:13 PM   #8
Wrangler

This is hearsay, because I don't have a deck and haven't tried it myself, but from several reports, the XL H1's 60i stream (and I think 30F, but not sure) should record to the Sony deck. But from what I recall having read in earlier posts, 24F won't record to the Sony deck.

Lou, if you're talking to AJA, ask them about the "no analog component out" comment that you quoted from their white paper. The XL H1 does have that; a cable with a special connector for the camera and component out on the other end is even included in the box with the camera. If that is wrong in the white paper, one might be concerned about what else might be documented incorrectly? Maybe the white paper is a best guess from before the camera's release?
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 09:26 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Pete,
I will ask them
Old January 16th, 2006, 01:04 AM   #10
Major Player

Yes, I was not terribly excited when I saw that Canon had a connector cable for component with non-professional RCA cables, rather than BNC on the end of it. Does anyone know if that is a Canon-specific cable/connector?

KW
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 03:17 AM   #11
Major Player

Sony FX1/Z1U - Will playback Sony recorded tapes in all modes (yes cf24/cf30/60i) and also Canon XL-H1 60i footage only. (no 24f/30f)

Canon XL-H1 - Will playback Canon recorded tapes in all modes (yes 24f/30f/60i) and Sony FX1/Z1U footage in all modes (yes cf24/cf30/60i)

Canon component cable - Is *not* proprietary. The same exact connector comes on the cable that ships with with the new Panasonic HVX200.

I hope that helps,

- ShannonRawls.com
Old January 16th, 2006, 12:15 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Shannon,
Thank you for input and expertise.
I called AJA today, but I can't get them to return my call. Today is a holiday, MLK.
Old January 16th, 2006, 12:53 PM   #13
Major Player

So the Canon Camera is an HDV HDSDI deck also - that's pretty cool!
Steve Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 01:13 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Connor
So the Canon Camera is an HDV HDSDI deck also - that's pretty cool!
Wow, never looked at it like that. but yes, it is.

That's a $2,000.00 savings right there! because that's how much the converters are (only 2 in the world)

It outputs HD-SDI video, Audio via RCA and timecode via BNC...............all derived from the HDV minidv tape.

wow...that's sweet.

- ShannonRawls.com
Old January 16th, 2006, 03:30 PM   #15
Major Player

Thanks Shannon for two very helpful posts today - this one, and your report on the H1 in low/high light.

I wasn't even going to look at the H1, but reports like these really help. I'm just about to jump on one of these to use with the mini35, and I'm also very interested in using these for event work (picking up 2 or 3 and using with the stock lens).

I had three main concerns:

1) Ability in low/challenging light. This was addressed many times by Shannon, as well as some compelling field clips uploaded - thanks.

2) Compatability with editor and the 24F format - test clips are jiving well for me with Edius SP 3.61 (60i/24F)

3) Playback/No Deck - A concern like everyone. 24F is still the wildcard - looks like you need to use the camera to digitize 24F footage, but the Sony deck will cover you (presumed, if the z1 is working to play back 60i) for the 60i content. I also have a z1, so the Sony deck looks like a good patch for now. Perhaps some manufacturer will come up with a final deck solution to cover 24F & more(?).

4) Hard Disk recording - Compatibility with the FS4? I'm guessing the 1080/60i will work and that 24F probably won't(?). Not a deal breaker, but somewhat of a needle in the side. Perhaps Focus will upgrade accordingly. I've had great luck with the FS4 in SD, but hit/miss with HDV.

Does DVRack work with the H1 in it's various modes? Like the FS4, I'm guessing it will in 60i, but may flake in 24F. Would love to know for sure.

Anyway - thanks again. You've killed many concerns on my list. Working on loan arrangements as we speak. Just got my Zeiss SuperSpeed set in today and I'm trying to wrench a spot in there for an H1 and the mini35 relay for it.

Thanks,
Shawn
Shawn Alyasiri is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders