11 second clip of HO scale train set - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old February 11th, 2006, 06:02 PM   #16
Obstreperous Rex

Hah, typing right on top of each other Ash!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 07:30 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurth Bousman
John - that was incredible. If that's the dof on the box lens , then 35mm adapters won't even be needed. It seems to be defying physics, or at least the commonly assumed limitations of the 1/3" chips. How is this possible ? Kurth
As Ash and Chris have pointed out, getting shallow DOF on miniature objects is a piece of cake.

I will say that I've been quite happy with what I can get with human subjects as well. I had one shot where the camera as 8 feet away from a person, the wall behind them was another 6 feet back, and framed for a CU I was able to get very nice shallow DOF. Easier to get than it was with my DVX100, for sure.

In general, to get shallow DOF, back up, zoom in, open iris wide.
John Cordell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 10:12 PM   #18
Regular Crew

That makes me want to build a model train set just so I can film it blowing up!

Maybe you could do that with your son's set? :p
Brian Farris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 10:17 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Farris
That makes me want to build a model train set just so I can film it blowing up!

Maybe you could do that with your son's set? :p
Actually, he's seven and he'd be totally up for it. His other main hobbies are crashing planes in Microsoft flight simulator and crashing trains in Microsoft train simulator. And all of his model train setups involve fires or disasters of some sort.
John Cordell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 04:26 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cordell
Actually, he's seven and he'd be totally up for it. His other main hobbies are crashing planes in Microsoft flight simulator and crashing trains in Microsoft train simulator. And all of his model train setups involve fires or disasters of some sort.
Man, I never grew out of that stage... I still enjoy destroying things, like a huge city in SimCity

The XL H1 is simply amazing at every level. Makes me frown upon my XL1s :(
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 04:44 PM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Weeks
Man, I never grew out of that stage... I still enjoy destroying things, like a huge city in SimCity

The XL H1 is simply amazing at every level. Makes me frown upon my XL1s :(
Maybe you can destroy your XL1s to give you a reason to buy the H1? I'm considering doing the same with my XL2 :p
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 05:09 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Maybe you can first get an H1 and then film yourself destroying your XL1.
Pete Tomov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 05:15 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Tomov
Maybe you can first get an H1 and then film yourself destroying your XL1.
Now THERE'S the solution! I can fulfill my satisfaction of destroying something beautiful, and get the H1.... hmm
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 05:17 PM   #24
Major Player

I will say, that getting that great DOF can be easy in a filmic scene, where you can move way across the room. To get it in an interview setting is MUCH tougher. I interviewed my brother to test the XL2 and got amazing DOF when zoomed in at 18 or 20x. Of course, I was half way across his back yard and practically yelling him questions. He asked, "Are most interviews done like this?" I didn't get into a DOF conversation with him. :-)

kW
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 02:45 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Wild
I will say, that getting that great DOF can be easy in a filmic scene, where you can move way across the room. To get it in an interview setting is MUCH tougher. I interviewed my brother to test the XL2 and got amazing DOF when zoomed in at 18 or 20x. Of course, I was half way across his back yard and practically yelling him questions. He asked, "Are most interviews done like this?" I didn't get into a DOF conversation with him. :-)

kW

It's not just a factor of him being far enough away to use the .long end of the lens.
You can shoot considerably closer but need to have a background that is far enough away from the subject to get shallow DOF.
For instance sooting outside, with the subject 15 feet away but the background of a treeline or fence line etc, perhaps 100' away.
You can get reasonably shallow DOF with a traditional wide CU if you're tight, with wide aperature and a distant background as well.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders