Sony/Canon Dub -- It Works! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old March 26th, 2006, 03:19 PM   #16
Trustee

Glad to hear it. Funny how that happens. One cable or switch and they don't let you in the menu. Useful trick to remember. This is true in the camera section as well. Some menus are greyed out in some modes.
So you are getting identical timecode ie Clone? Or are you just getting a dub. My reading of the Sony DSR-1500A manuals seemed to imply no cloning from DV. Ie timecode is not identical. Of course Sony never implemented timecode in DV (like Panasonic and Canon) reserving timecode for DVCAM.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 04:56 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I had three timecode breaks on the tape, they all went down flawlessly. I set the TC to Ext. Regen.

Funny thing though, the dub came down as 4x3, even though I shot at 16x9. I have to get that worked out, or find another workflow. Can't have any 4x3 nonsense on my project. Is that just a preset of the XLH1 downconvert, or is there a toggle for 16x9 DV downconvert output?
Brad Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 05:01 PM   #18
Major Player

What do you mean by 4:3? Cropped or the Squeezed image? Squeezed is how SD handles 16:9 footage.
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 05:02 PM   #19
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Is that just a preset of the XLH1 downconvert, or is there a toggle for 16x9 DV downconvert output?
Unfortunately there is neither. The XL H1 will not "letterbox" the 16:9 video downconversion to SD over FireWire. It assumes that you want the full vertical resolution, so you're seeing a spaghetti western (squeezed) unless you're going to a widescreen display. Will the Sony deck add the letterbox for you?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 05:02 PM   #20
Capt. Quirk

Just curious... but would a firestore be able to capture HD in 24f? And what bitrate would it be?
Old March 26th, 2006, 05:11 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Squeezed it is.

Your right, I checked against the image and it is squeezed. Is there a way anyone has found to beat this problem? I could fix it after cutting with some rezie effects, but I'd rather not have to go that route if I can help it.
Brad Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 06:09 PM   #22
Major Player

Try your sequence settings and check the anamorphic box.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders