XL H1 Custom Presets Download Library - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old June 3rd, 2006, 08:40 PM   #16
Disjecta

Here's a new "disjecta" setting that I've been working with almost exclusively and, to me, it most closely resembles the look and feel of my DVX although the setting just feels right to me for all applications.

The previous disjecta setting was fine but didn't necessarily render color accurately, giving the image and exaggerated warmth.

So attached is my favorite and permanent general setting.

I call it "Panalook"
Attached Files
File Type: cpf PRESET18.CPF (39 Bytes, 2646 views)
Old June 4th, 2006, 10:49 AM   #17
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks, Steven! Speadsheet updated. Added "PANALOOK" by Steven Dempsey, see his post above for the .CPF file download. See the first post in this thread, on the previous page, for the Excel spreadsheet download.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 02:34 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Test Shots

So here is a sequence of test shots. One with each preset (sorry to the author of 12, I accidently didnt roll on that one)

These were not in a controlled enviornment so some minor lighting changes may have occured. They were taken 1 hour prior to sunset with a shutter of 1/150, F6.2 and Daylight balanced. I began with preset 10 through to 17, then from 1 to 9. Dont ask for a reason to my madness.

They were exported with final cut still image JPG best quality. They came out in 4:3, but you get the point.

More controlled tests to come.
Attached Thumbnails
XL H1 Custom Presets Download Library-garden1-preset-10.jpg   XL H1 Custom Presets Download Library-garden1-preset-11.jpg  

XL H1 Custom Presets Download Library-garden1-preset-13.jpg   XL H1 Custom Presets Download Library-garden1-preset-14.jpg  

XL H1 Custom Presets Download Library-garden1-preset-15.jpg   XL H1 Custom Presets Download Library-garden1-preset-16.jpg  

XL H1 Custom Presets Download Library-garden1-preset-17.jpg   XL H1 Custom Presets Download Library-garden1-preset-1.jpg  

Brian Critchlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 02:39 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Imges 2-9

Thats it--
Attached Thumbnails
XL H1 Custom Presets Download Library-garden1-preset-2.jpg   XL H1 Custom Presets Download Library-garden1-preset-3.jpg  

XL H1 Custom Presets Download Library-garden1-preset-4.jpg   XL H1 Custom Presets Download Library-garden1-preset-5.jpg  

XL H1 Custom Presets Download Library-garden1-preset-6.jpg   XL H1 Custom Presets Download Library-garden1-preset-7.jpg  

XL H1 Custom Presets Download Library-garden1-preset-8.jpg   XL H1 Custom Presets Download Library-garden1-preset-9.jpg  

Old July 12th, 2006, 06:11 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Critchlow
So here is a sequence of test shots. One with each preset (sorry to the author of 12, I accidently didnt roll on that one)

These were not in a controlled enviornment so some minor lighting changes may have occured. They were taken 1 hour prior to sunset with a shutter of 1/150, F6.2 and Daylight balanced. I began with preset 10 through to 17, then from 1 to 9. Dont ask for a reason to my madness.

They were exported with final cut still image JPG best quality. They came out in 4:3, but you get the point.

More controlled tests to come.
I thought it would be handy to compare them side-by-side (or so), so I have posted them all together at the following link:

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/pre-set_shots/

Forgive me - I'm not a web-page guy.
Michael Fischler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 06:25 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Thanks for the quote. I hope to get some better footage up very soon. I have some clips, but am waiting for some web space from Chris.

Looks like the photos saw some quality loss in the process. If you get a chance, the high rez photos are available if you click on the thumbnails.
Old July 12th, 2006, 06:53 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Yeah - had to down-rez them to get them to fit on the page - otherwise you'd be scolling forever in all directions and that would defeat the purpose of seeing them side-by-side. Like I said - not a web-guy, but if someone knows how to make them smaller to fit on the page and not lose quality (using photshop), I'm more than happy to repost them.

I was thinking that just seeing the difference in the handling of color and light might be enough to give folks an idea of what each pre-set does. From then on they're on there own
Old July 12th, 2006, 07:06 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Do you have your forum settings set to show images in the thread? If you choose that setting you can see the images thumbnails side by side, you could copy those very easliy.

thanks again

-brian
Old July 13th, 2006, 01:53 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Do you have your forum settings set to show images in the thread? If you choose that setting you can see the images thumbnails side by side, you could copy those very easliy.
-brian
Heck - If I had known I could do that, I never would have posted them to begin with. Thanks for the tip! :-)
Old July 13th, 2006, 09:14 PM   #25
Major Player

JBe 1&2

I like these settings, they compensate for some of the colorspace loss of HDV.
I like what the Negative Coring does to the texture of any noise or gradations (by making it grainy instead of blocky). Otherwise I would call thesr settings HVX

JBe_1:

Gam:1
Knee:Low
Blk: Pressed
Ped: -5
Set: -2
Sharp: 2
Hdf : H
DVH: 3 (?) I think it increses the vertical frequency
Cor: -2 or -3
N2 1&2: off
Cmx: 1
Cgn: 5
Cph:0
Rgn:2
Ggn:1
Bgn:2
everything else is O & I dial in the K to tweak

JBe_2:

Gam: Cine2
Knee:Low
Blk: Med
Ped: -5
Set: -2
Sharp: 1
Hdf : H
DVH: 0
Cor: -2
N2 1&2: off
Cmx: 2
Cgn: 4
Cph:0
Rgn:2
Ggn:2
Bgn:3
everything else is O & I dial in the K to tweak
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2006, 12:26 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Im likin the new presets. Thanks for posting them!
I think they will come in useful while out in the field.

I'm a little lazy and havent read the manual on this, but does anyone know if the camera has a maximum number of presets, or is it just how many you can fit on the card?
Old July 15th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Im likin the new presets. Thanks for posting them!
I think they will come in useful while out in the field.

I'm a little lazy and havent read the manual on this, but does anyone know if the camera has a maximum number of presets, or is it just how many you can fit on the card?
According to the manual - 20 can be stored on the mem card - but not sure if thats because of the card size or limitations in the software.
Old July 15th, 2006, 04:23 PM   #28
Obstreperous Rex

Technically it's 20 presets on the card, but there's a very cool trick which bypasses that limitation... see my post called "Practically no limit to CP files on SD card" here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=55137

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 09:06 PM   #29
Major Player

Thanks Chris - That''s really useful !
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 05:12 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Anyone had time to play with color matching to an F900 or Varicam?

If it could be matched, or made close, that would be a great point for clients looking to rent a matching B camera.
Brian Critchlow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders