Which mattebox do you have for your XL H1? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old June 9th, 2006, 02:44 PM   #46
Major Player

Thanks Steve - I will check which way the "ridge" is on the lense barrel. It has not created a problem - it still meshs with the gear, just find it worrisome that it isn't more firm - maybe I have the ring gear backwards.

As regards the repeatability of the follow focus - we have had no problem with hitting focus marks - set the focus point and mark the white ring - go to another focus point in the scene - then pull focus based upon the mark and it's in focus. Have not tried pulling multiple focus marks though as in a long shot of subject approaching a camera with landmarks to focus ring marks.

Also be aware that you can use the electronic focus preset to have the camera pull focus for you - it's just that even the slowest preset focus speed is way too fast most of the time for our taste - too distracting-noticeable with the one subject jerking to blur and the new subject jerking to focus. I usually find a slower focus pull less distracting to the viewer. Hope they have a firmware change on those speeds.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 02:49 PM   #47
Disjecta

I have also had no problem pulling multiple focus points. I think the fact that there are no markings on the lens makes it difficult to focus manually but the follow focus system works flawlessly for me.
Old July 24th, 2006, 05:51 PM   #48
Regular Crew

Coming back to an old subject - since EVERYBODY reads this forum (great job Chris!!!) there isn't a single Chrosziel follow-focus/matte box kit available at the moment in the USA (and please, if I am wrong LET ME KNOW :-), I'll buy it now!). So my question is - does anyone have any experience with Zacuto and the Petroff system of boxes, rails and follow-focus?

http://store.zacuto.com/manufacturer...ufacturerid=10

Thanks for your input...
Michael Fischler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 06:06 PM   #49
Go Go Godzilla

I'll be transferring my Zacuto plate/rod system and Century Optics/Vocas matte box to my H1 when I get it next week. I'll post some photos once I get the rig setup. It's an easy way to get the Marshall hooked up without added weight to the camera body itself.
Old August 7th, 2006, 03:58 PM   #50
Go Go Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane
I'll be transferring my Zacuto plate/rod system and Century Optics/Vocas matte box to my H1 when I get it next week...
Actually no, I won't. As it turns out (and explained in the HVX forum) it's not economically or time-feasible to attempt to merge HVX with H1 footage, so i'm staying with the HVX.
Old September 14th, 2006, 02:52 PM   #51
Major Player

Anyone tried the redrock followfocus on XL H1?
Jonas Nyström, DoP :: HOT SHOT® SWEDEN :: www.hotshot.nu :: RED #1567, RED 18-50mm T3 :: XL A1, Letus Extreme :: XL H1, 20X & 6X lens (for sale) :: www.vimeo.com/nystrom
Jonas Nystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 06:26 PM   #52
Major Player

Have you tried Able's, they had 'em a few weeks ago... pricey, but the FF is way better than any others I've used, plus the scale is visible from the viewfinder, which can be useful... Matte box is just a lens hood with nice filter trays, any would be fine as long as the aspect ratio is right...
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2006, 11:50 AM   #53
Regular Crew

I just received my first mattebox -- the Chrosziel with FF -- and will start the filter-buying process now.

Question: is there a reason to get any 4x5.65 filters or is getting only 4x4's sufficient? I do use the 3x wide-angle lense (and plan to get the 6x wide-angle when it comes out) if that's a factor.
Patricia Lamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2006, 04:14 PM   #54
Major Player

4x4's should be fine, even with the WA.. I could be wrong, not having seen the lens, but I actually usually use a 3x3 Chrosziel clip-on with my H1 because it's lighter and smaller, and I mostly handhold... The Panavision size filters are expensive (I know, I've got over 20 of them) and significantly heavier.. Chrosziel makes that front holder a combination so people with both sizes have a choice -

I'm not familiar with the DV matte box (my 4x4's an older super16 one I've pulled from my Aaton kit) but if it's similar, the outer side edges of the hood will probably inter the frame before the edge of a 4x4 filter in the front holder...
Old September 17th, 2006, 05:21 PM   #55
Regular Crew

Thank, Steve. It looks like that might be the case with this mattebox as well.

I have not attached mine to the XL H1 yet -- have been awaiting the mailing of the instructions, but given that it's been almost a week, I'm ready to just jump in and try to figure it out.

Is it the case that the rails attach directly to the body of the camera, making the use of the (wonderful) Canon quick release plate no longer possible?

Last edited by Patricia Lamm; September 17th, 2006 at 07:32 PM.
Old September 18th, 2006, 09:17 AM   #56
Major Player

Patricia: I've never even seen the Canon quick release plate so I don't know how it mounts (I use a 20 year old O'Conner 50 head with it's plate) but my guess is that it will be a problem...

The mattebox base is basically two flat plates seperated by two one inch aluminum dowls that elevate the camera in relation to the mini-rods (which are mounted to the front of the bottom plate).. You may be able to engineer a way to attach the quick release to the bottom plate.. maybe someone here has done it...

My camera is heavy because I use Anton Bauer batteries, a wireless receiver, custom grips (mounted to the mini-rods), follow focus and, occasionally, a grip-mounted 7" monitor - so in my personal opinion the mounting system looks under-built under the camera when it's on a tripod.. I'm sure Chrosziel knows what they're doing, but I reinforced the "dowls" by fabricating pieces of aluminum channel and affixing them to both sides... May not actually be any stronger, but it looks better and provides some peace of mind...
Old September 18th, 2006, 09:30 AM   #57
Contributor

Hey, another person who uses a tripod forever. I bought my O'Connor 50 in 1985.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2006, 09:39 AM   #58
Major Player

Good head - heavy, which is needed with a heavy (over 10lb) camera... I still use wooden sticks sometimes, too...
Old September 18th, 2006, 11:49 AM   #59
Regular Crew

For what it's worth, I called 16x9 and asked about the ability of the rail support to carry the weight of the camera, A-B battery, 7" monitor, plus mattebox (my current configuration as well). They said it's "no problem at all", although I agree with you that it looks a little undersupported.

Does anyone know what FF gear ring works with the Canon 3x lens? The one in the kit doesn't fit (only fits the 20x) and so far I haven't gotten a response from 16x9.
Old September 19th, 2006, 08:32 AM   #60
Major Player

Patricia: They may not make a gear for that lens, again, I don't know it...

Get a precise measurement of the diameter of the focus ring area on the lens at several different places (widest and narrowest) and then call someone who deals with film lenses and see if there's an off-the-rack ring that might fit...

Birns & Sawyer used to be good for that sort of thing, don't know if they still are...
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders