Article on TV show being shot on XL H1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old November 4th, 2006, 05:59 PM   #16
New Boot

Documentary film with XL-H1

I shot my forthcoming documentary film on schizophrenia in Japan on location with the XL-H1. I found it very nose-heavy and very hard on my forearms. I'm looking to try to balance it out better. I'm hoping the 6x wide lens will be a little shorter and adjust the balance back.

I've been looking for a good shoulder mount and if the one Laura uses looks good for women (sloping shoulders, weaker forearms), then it might be the one for me.

Karen Nakamura
photoethnography.com/blog
Karen Nakamura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 06:04 PM   #17
Wrangler

Steve, your HH/rod setup looks like it's from Oppenheimer Camera (the blue anodized).

Is it?
Old November 4th, 2006, 06:51 PM   #18
Major Player

Nate: I got that grip set about 10 years ago from Birns & Sawyer (when they were primarily a motion picture equipt store). I think they were just called Blue Grips - but they were VERY expensive - $1000 for the minirod section, 2 grips (or in my case, one grip and an adapter for the starboard side Aaton walnut grip), and two grip extensions!

I got them for my 16mm Aaton and really liked them, so I've used them on every camera I've owned.. I just use the left grip with one extension for the H1... Oppenheimer may have them, but last time I checked they were only available in Sweden (I think it was)...

Karen: The Image 2000 that the woman in the photo is using, also coincidentally from Birns and Sawyer, is very comfortable and has the option of using 2 grips and works very well with the H1.. check it out on their website..

Problem I have with it is that it raises the camera above eye level so you're looking up slightly all the time - and once it's secured to the camera you have to remove it to follow a subject into a car or to put the camera on a tripod... I prefer to not have to take things apart, carry them around, and put them back together again.. just lazy I guess...
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2006, 01:01 PM   #19
Major Player

sweet set-up Steve - very useful adaptation to the shoulder pad.

I spoke with B&S yesterday about the image 2000 to find out if I could mount a quick release plate to it - you can't. The guy I spoke to (very knowledgeable German guy) said he had never heard of anyone asking for that.

btw - what sort of case do you use to carry it around?
Doug Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2006, 02:11 PM   #20
Major Player

Doug I used a Manfrotto quick release with that unit (B&H has them, about $50) - it does raise the camera about an inch, though - unfortunately it means you've got to use a Manfrotto head if you want to move seamlessly from the shoulder support to the tripod... Since I prefer the O'Conner 50, it was inconvenient (although I do have a smaller Manfrotto/Bogen tripod that I take on airplanes)...

I use a CineBag production bag, they're about $190 and very well made.. If you strip the end boards out, you can get the H1 inside with everything (as pictured in my photo) attached, including the mike.. (you do have to remove the Anton Bauer battery, but I do that all the time anyway)...
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2006, 07:11 PM   #21
Major Player

that bag looks nice thanks

yes I also use a bogen quickrelease, which prevents me from using my Vinten head. The Vinten QR would work but it is way expensive. FWIW I can mount the bogen QR on top of the vinten QR - the only snag is the vinten is wider which prevents me tightening the bogen, I've been thinking of trying to adapt the bogen QR to move the tightening knob an inch or so away from the plate.
Old December 26th, 2006, 07:04 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bennett
sweet set-up Steve - very useful adaptation to the shoulder pad.

I spoke with B&S yesterday about the image 2000 to find out if I could mount a quick release plate to it - you can't. The guy I spoke to (very knowledgeable German guy) said he had never heard of anyone asking for that.

btw - what sort of case do you use to carry it around?
Doug-
The Deutchlander you spoke to was Steve Grimm who handles our manufacturing and service. We HAVE been using the Bogen/Manfrotto plates with our shoulder mounts for quite a while and the seem to do the job.
Also, in regards to the handle system that was mentioned in this thread, we still sell a handle system that you build off of 15mm rods but yes, it is expensive. The handles and extentions are $285 a pop(x4 for 2 handles) and the bridge is $345
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2006, 02:06 PM   #23
Major Player

so Jim - do you mean that a standard bogen QR plate will attach to the bottom of your image 200 shoulder mount? Is any modification required?
Old December 29th, 2006, 04:05 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bennett
so Jim - do you mean that a standard bogen QR plate will attach to the bottom of your image 200 shoulder mount? Is any modification required?
The Bogen plate attaches to the top of our shoulder mount via the 1/4-20 screw and nipple, then gives you a QR plate to attach to the camera. A second unit could be mounted on the tripod so you can go back and forth.

Jim Martin
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2006, 05:47 PM   #25
Major Player

I was wanting the quickrelease plate to attach to the bottom of the image 2000 so that I could attach another support (a dv caddie) and use the two supports at the same time.
Old June 8th, 2009, 01:54 PM   #26
Trustee

Sorry to resurect this old thread, but this is about the picture Steve Rosen posted of his XLH1 Setup.

Steve, if you read this thread, could you please give me more details about how you customized the rear part of your camera? I am interested in doing something similar on my camera.

Thank you,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders