a couple of 25f questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old July 16th, 2006, 06:12 PM   #1
Major Player

a couple of 25f questions

Hi guys,

I'm about to purchase an H1 50i version and wanted to clear up a few points.

I want to either invest in a deck or a hard drive solution. I know the Sony HDV decks will not handle 24f or 30f, but is the same the case for 25f or am I lucky to be living in Pal land?

Also, the Hard Drive solutions (Firestore/Citidisk) record HDV footage as mt2 files. I've been searching the net to try and establish what this means, but I'm still a little confused. I'm running FCP5.1. If I connect a Hard Drive with mt2 files recorded from the H1, can I import them directly into an HDV timeline, or do I first have to put them through a lossy conversion process?

Any help much appreciated!
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 07:07 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Sorry, currently no Sony HDV deck can read Canon Frame mode, regardless of frame rate.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 07:33 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Sorry, currently no Sony HDV deck can read Canon Frame mode, regardless of frame rate.
Thanks Chris, does the same apply for 25F in SD mode - ie: incompatible with all decks - or is it just in HDV?
Old July 19th, 2006, 12:41 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Dahlberg
Also, the Hard Drive solutions (Firestore/Citidisk) record HDV footage as mt2 files. I've been searching the net to try and establish what this means, but I'm still a little confused. I'm running FCP5.1. If I connect a Hard Drive with mt2 files recorded from the H1, can I import them directly into an HDV timeline, or do I first have to put them through a lossy conversion process?
Not sure about FCP, but in case of Premiere Pro, at will you can import the m2t directly to the timeline without any conversion. This applies both to FS and Citidisk.
Lauri Kettunen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2006, 01:18 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Lauri,

After more research I've discovered that for FCP you must use a conversion program called MPEG Streamclip which is a real pain in the neck:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...treamclip.html
Old July 19th, 2006, 06:39 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Dahlberg
Thanks Chris, does the same apply for 25F in SD mode - ie: incompatible with all decks - or is it just in HDV?
25F PAL (sd) is just plain simple DV so yes, every DV(cam) deck like the new Sony's work with this format.
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders