XLH1 Settings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old July 13th, 2006, 06:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XLH1 Settings

I am new to the XLH1. I have it and an XL1s. My vision is to shoot everything in 16:9 60i HD so that the Tape footage is always there and available to me in the future in HD. But for now, I will capture this and size it to 4:3 and SD, as to continue to use both in SD. If this is possible, are there any particular settings on the XLH1 to accomodate this best?? Be gentle, I am new to HD. Thanks.
David Walding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2006, 12:29 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Since you want HD archives, you need to shoot in HDV mode obviously. The viewfinder has an aspect framing mode, so you can shoot other aspects like panavision & so on.
I haven't gone deep into the manual on this feature, but you may be able to pull up a 4:3 frame in the viewfinder so you can position your subjects correctly, then its just a matter of cropping in post.

Hope this helps a little.

--edit--
one more thing, while surfing the manual, you can record in HDV, then do a down convert in the camera during capture/playback. This will definately help you in post.

also, after checking the manual, it does have a 4:3 aspect guide. Its in the display setup menu
Brian Critchlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 12:29 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Brian has answered this pretty much exactly the same way I was going to.

There are two things to do:

First, when shooting, go to the Display Setup menu and choose Aspect Guide, set to 4:3.

Second, when capturing, go to the Signal Setup menu and choose HD Down-Conv, set to On.

That's basically all you need to do.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 01:20 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks!

David
David Walding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders