DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   New XL Series HD 6X Wide Angle Lens (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/72416-new-xl-series-hd-6x-wide-angle-lens.html)

Jos Svendsen July 26th, 2006 05:02 AM

New wideangle lens for Canon H1

I peeked arround on canon.jp. And there was a wide lens for H1. Here is Babelfished edition of the press release - http://cweb.canon.jp/newsrelease/200...ml?jp=pr-xl-x6

Quote:

As for CANON, 6 time zoom lens "the CANON HD video lens 6 time zoom XL 3.4-20.4mm L which" makes photographing in wide angle possible the HD video camera "XL H1" which can do digital hi-vision photographing and so on, as a interchangeable lens for the video camera which adopts the "XL mount", is sold late from November.

A. J. deLange July 26th, 2006 06:07 AM

With the current forecast of the value of the Yen this thing will go for right around $3K in the late fall time frame.

James Swirsky July 26th, 2006 11:18 AM

Wide Angle also listed on Canon US

The Wide Angle Lens is also officially listed on the Canon USA site:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...12152&pageno=0

A. J. deLange July 26th, 2006 12:10 PM

Manual iris ring? Will this be another pulse generator or a real, direct iris control (don't see how it could be and be compatible with auto exposure modes)?

This announcement also makes it clear what HD compatible means and it seems to mean capable of supporting auto focus when hooked to an HD camera, capable of supporting still mode, capable of reporting focus distance etc. Resolution compatible with HD isn't mentioned. Wonder if the 3X short zoom distant focus problem has been solved.

Wayne Joy July 27th, 2006 11:51 AM

New XL Series HD 6X Wide Angle Lens

Lost among yesterday's announcement of new Canon cameras is an announcement of a new 6X Wide Angle HD XL series lens that I found on Canon's web site.

http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedat...hd_zoomxl.html

Chris Hurd July 27th, 2006 12:10 PM

My apologies for neglecting this yesterday. There was a post from Jos S. in the News forum, I've moved it here and merged these two topics together into one thread.

The price amazes me... under $3K.

By the way, here's the press release: http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxlh1/articles/article21.php

Greg Boston July 27th, 2006 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A. J. deLange
Manual iris ring? Will this be another pulse generator or a real, direct iris control (don't see how it could be and be compatible with auto exposure modes)?

The iris ring on my Fujinon HD lens is mechanical/servo. This could be the same design. What I mean is that in manual iris, i can mechanically move the ring. If I flip the switch to auto iris, the servo engages and I can't move it due to the motor holding current. Well, I suppose I could force it but I'm not anxious to burn up the servo on that lens just yet.

-gb-

Thomas Smet July 27th, 2006 12:38 PM

It is interesting that this lens has three rings just like the built in lens on the XH-A1 and XH-G1. I wonder if this is the new way the lens options will go in the future. Perhaps there will be a new 20x lens for the XL-H1 or a new lens that comes with a perhaps XL-H1s model in the future.

K. Forman July 27th, 2006 12:50 PM

What kind of mount do these new Canon HD lenses use? Will it mount on, say... a JVC???

Chris Hurd July 27th, 2006 01:10 PM

No Keith, it's the proprietary Canon XL mount, for Canon XL series cameras only.

Robert Sanders July 27th, 2006 01:37 PM

I'm really surprised by the price. Canon knocked this one out of the park. My personal prediction was that Canon was price the lens at $4999. Considering that Fujinon's wide angle HD zoom for the JVC is $12,000.

Now I just need to find a pre-order list! :-))

Jon Bickford July 27th, 2006 01:47 PM

i do have to say that i'm very disappointed to see that it's a servo lens... any leaks on a 16x manual hd lens or the like??? i DESPISE the functionality of the 20x HD lens, damn sharp though. I also wish it could have been faster like an f1.2 and i wish it would hold that stop all the way through.

that said, i like the price and will buy one when available. of course, for an extra 33 percent i could buy an A1 as a 2nd camera and get a wider angle of view.

-Jon

Pete Bauer July 27th, 2006 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Bickford
I also wish it could have been faster like an f1.2 and i wish it would hold that stop all the way through.

that said, i like the price and will buy one when available. of course, for an extra 33 percent i could buy an A1 as a 2nd camera and get a wider angle of view.

-Jon

Me too...and I wish I had a million dollars, too. ;-) To get what you're asking would at LEAST double the price of the lens. Who knows, maybe more HD lenses at higher price points (like the full manual everyone keeps begging for) will be added to the XL line in the future.

In 35mm photography terms, the XH cameras will go about 32.5mm so you'd have to put additional glass (the WD-72 0.8 adaptor) in front to even get close to the 24.5mm equivalent of the XL's upcoming 6x lens.

Greg Boston July 27th, 2006 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Forman
What kind of mount do these new Canon HD lenses use? Will it mount on, say... a JVC???

Canon is supposed to be making a version of this lens for JVC. At least that's what they were showing in the JVC booth at NAB. We'll just have to wait and see.

-gb-

Meryem Ersoz July 27th, 2006 03:03 PM

this 6x is the best argument i've seen yet for picking the H1 over its new baby cousins....choices choices choices

Greg Boston July 27th, 2006 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
this 6x is the best argument i've seen yet for picking the H1 over its new baby cousins....choices choices choices

"Plus, the Camkote will fit the H1", he said, as if to gently nudge Meryem over the edge to fall haplessly into the arms of a brand new XLH1. (grin)

Sorry, must be the heat. Send rain, please!

-gb-

Bill Pryor July 27th, 2006 03:34 PM

Are they selling the camera body only, without the 20X lens? If so, the camera and this new lens would be one of the best things on the market. The 24mm-147mm range (in 35mm terms) is about as perfect as I could ever want.

Meryem Ersoz July 27th, 2006 06:56 PM

greg, yer a nut! i'm thinking that with the all-72mm lens mount fleet of cameras that i'm on the verge of owning, that the camkote will get its well-deserved workout. ski season is right around the bend in these parts...and there's that trip to hawaii which has been on my mind, i could use some sand and salt protection...

K. Forman July 27th, 2006 06:58 PM

Just remember Mereyem, the HD100 is a great cam too... Come to the Darkside Luke-Um..Mereyem ;)

Meryem Ersoz July 27th, 2006 07:16 PM

heh. i've been inches away from that tempting HD100, too, actually. i would lie awake at night pondering my next HDV camera question. saved at the bell by the always-late-to-the-party-but-never-disappointing minions at canon.

here's a good one. i'm madly trading canon stock to pay for the next canon cameras. so far i'm $3000 closer to my purchase. only $10K away from my babies. run, canon, run.

Ken Diewert July 28th, 2006 08:57 AM

Meryem,

Well, for you this time...patience is a virtue.

Meryem Ersoz July 28th, 2006 09:04 AM

ken, some timeless wisdom from "the tao of poker"--

"money flows from the impatient to the patient"

now, where *is* that BODY-ONLY option??

Ken Diewert July 28th, 2006 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
ken, some timeless wisdom from "the tao of poker"--

"money flows from the impatient to the patient"

That's a good one. If you're waiting for the body only, does that mean you're not on the waiting list for the XH? I figured that might be your next move.

Meryem Ersoz July 28th, 2006 05:29 PM

my current plan is to get one of each of the new cousins. but if canon were to offer a body-only H1, i might have to re-think it....

Yi Fong Yu August 2nd, 2006 07:04 AM

$8,000 (XL H1+20x lens)+3,000 (6x lens)+3,000 (accessories?)=$14,000.

i'd hate to see all those get stolen at a moment's notice =\.

Jonas Nystrom September 28th, 2006 04:09 AM

Thread mount

Does anyone know which thread mount the 6x zoom will have?

Pete Bauer September 28th, 2006 04:17 AM

It's an XL lens.

Jonas Nystrom September 28th, 2006 04:51 AM

Sorry, maybe I was indistinct.

It's an XL lens, but at the other end... is it a 72mm filter thread mount?

Tony Davies-Patrick September 28th, 2006 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonas Nystrom
Sorry, maybe I was indistinct.

It's an XL lens, but at the other end... is it a 72mm filter thread mount?

Yes, I think it is 72mm.

Jonas Nystrom October 13th, 2006 01:45 AM

According to Creative Video in the UK it has 82mm thread mount for filters!

Tony Davies-Patrick October 13th, 2006 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonas Nystrom
According to Creative Video in the UK it has 82mm thread mount for filters!

http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/publi...er=canon_xl-6x

http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/publi...=tiffen_uvp-82

I honestly thought that it was 72mm like all the previous lenses. It would be strange that it is 82mm as this would mean that all those screw-in filters and attachments for the 72mm threads on previous XL 3X, 16X 20X and 20X HD wouldn't fit (at least without a step-up filter).
If it is 82mm then possibly this was chosen by Canon to help avoid corner vignette problems at the widest lens setting when filters etc are used.

Nick Hiltgen October 13th, 2006 10:22 AM

Isnt this supposed to be released soon? has anyone heard anything else about it? I've been on two shoots in the past week where I would have loved a wide lens but it still hasn't come out yet. IS it still held up by the fcc thing?

A. J. deLange October 13th, 2006 12:48 PM

Disappointment! The specs at Creative Video make it clear that all three rings are encoder types. I guess the solid feel and repeatability of mechanical rings is a thing of the past.

Yi Fong Yu October 13th, 2006 12:58 PM

whoa... so... $9k for the XL H1 and $4k for this... not including accessories. whoa =). is it me or are modern tech. hobbies getting more and more expensive =).

Nate Weaver October 13th, 2006 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yi Fong Yu
is it me or are modern tech. hobbies getting more and more expensive =).

[hitches pants]

"Well, that's your problem, right there, buddy. You're buying more or less pro gear and calling it a hobby"

Robert Sanders October 13th, 2006 01:06 PM

Near F900 quality for less than $14 grand and people are COMPLAINING about it.

Chris Hurd October 13th, 2006 06:54 PM

Just to confirm, YES the filter thread diameter is 82mm.

YES all three control rings are the servo type without hard stops.

Just like the stock 20x HD lens, there is a focus distance display (meters or feet) and a "zoom number" display (on a scale of 0-99) in the viewfinder, and a focus distance / focal length preset switch on the side of the lens.

I don't see how anyone can complain about the price of this gear -- it's either one of two things. It's a business tool or it's a luxury item. If you're making money with it, then it's a business tool. If you're not making money with it, then it's a luxury item. In either case, buy what you can afford.

Patricia Lamm October 16th, 2006 12:34 PM

Back to an earlier question: Isn't this supposed to be released soon? Anyone have an update on ETA?

Chris Hurd October 16th, 2006 12:43 PM

First part of November is what I'm hearing.

Robert Sanders October 16th, 2006 04:13 PM

Jim Martin at Birns & Sawyer just said first week of November.