New XL Series HD 6X Wide Angle Lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old July 26th, 2006, 05:02 AM   #1
Major Player

New wideangle lens for Canon H1

I peeked arround on canon.jp. And there was a wide lens for H1. Here is Babelfished edition of the press release - http://cweb.canon.jp/newsrelease/200...ml?jp=pr-xl-x6

Quote:
As for CANON, 6 time zoom lens "the CANON HD video lens 6 time zoom XL 3.4-20.4mm L which" makes photographing in wide angle possible the HD video camera "XL H1" which can do digital hi-vision photographing and so on, as a interchangeable lens for the video camera which adopts the "XL mount", is sold late from November.

JOS. Svendsen
Jos Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 06:07 AM   #2
Major Player

With the current forecast of the value of the Yen this thing will go for right around $3K in the late fall time frame.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 11:18 AM   #3
New Boot

Wide Angle also listed on Canon US

The Wide Angle Lens is also officially listed on the Canon USA site:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...12152&pageno=0
James Swirsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 12:10 PM   #4
Major Player

Manual iris ring? Will this be another pulse generator or a real, direct iris control (don't see how it could be and be compatible with auto exposure modes)?

This announcement also makes it clear what HD compatible means and it seems to mean capable of supporting auto focus when hooked to an HD camera, capable of supporting still mode, capable of reporting focus distance etc. Resolution compatible with HD isn't mentioned. Wonder if the 3X short zoom distant focus problem has been solved.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 11:51 AM   #5
Tourist

New XL Series HD 6X Wide Angle Lens

Lost among yesterday's announcement of new Canon cameras is an announcement of a new 6X Wide Angle HD XL series lens that I found on Canon's web site.

http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedat...hd_zoomxl.html
Wayne Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 12:10 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

My apologies for neglecting this yesterday. There was a post from Jos S. in the News forum, I've moved it here and merged these two topics together into one thread.

The price amazes me... under $3K.

By the way, here's the press release: http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxlh1/articles/article21.php

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 12:18 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. J. deLange
Manual iris ring? Will this be another pulse generator or a real, direct iris control (don't see how it could be and be compatible with auto exposure modes)?
The iris ring on my Fujinon HD lens is mechanical/servo. This could be the same design. What I mean is that in manual iris, i can mechanically move the ring. If I flip the switch to auto iris, the servo engages and I can't move it due to the motor holding current. Well, I suppose I could force it but I'm not anxious to burn up the servo on that lens just yet.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 12:38 PM   #8
Trustee

It is interesting that this lens has three rings just like the built in lens on the XH-A1 and XH-G1. I wonder if this is the new way the lens options will go in the future. Perhaps there will be a new 20x lens for the XL-H1 or a new lens that comes with a perhaps XL-H1s model in the future.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 12:50 PM   #9
Capt. Quirk

What kind of mount do these new Canon HD lenses use? Will it mount on, say... a JVC???
Old July 27th, 2006, 01:10 PM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

No Keith, it's the proprietary Canon XL mount, for Canon XL series cameras only.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 01:37 PM   #11
Starway Pictures

I'm really surprised by the price. Canon knocked this one out of the park. My personal prediction was that Canon was price the lens at $4999. Considering that Fujinon's wide angle HD zoom for the JVC is $12,000.

Now I just need to find a pre-order list! :-))
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 01:47 PM   #12
Major Player

i do have to say that i'm very disappointed to see that it's a servo lens... any leaks on a 16x manual hd lens or the like??? i DESPISE the functionality of the 20x HD lens, damn sharp though. I also wish it could have been faster like an f1.2 and i wish it would hold that stop all the way through.

that said, i like the price and will buy one when available. of course, for an extra 33 percent i could buy an A1 as a 2nd camera and get a wider angle of view.

-Jon
Jon Bickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 02:41 PM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Bickford
I also wish it could have been faster like an f1.2 and i wish it would hold that stop all the way through.

that said, i like the price and will buy one when available. of course, for an extra 33 percent i could buy an A1 as a 2nd camera and get a wider angle of view.

-Jon
Me too...and I wish I had a million dollars, too. ;-) To get what you're asking would at LEAST double the price of the lens. Who knows, maybe more HD lenses at higher price points (like the full manual everyone keeps begging for) will be added to the XL line in the future.

In 35mm photography terms, the XH cameras will go about 32.5mm so you'd have to put additional glass (the WD-72 0.8 adaptor) in front to even get close to the 24.5mm equivalent of the XL's upcoming 6x lens.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 02:46 PM   #14
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
What kind of mount do these new Canon HD lenses use? Will it mount on, say... a JVC???
Canon is supposed to be making a version of this lens for JVC. At least that's what they were showing in the JVC booth at NAB. We'll just have to wait and see.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 03:03 PM   #15
Wrangler

this 6x is the best argument i've seen yet for picking the H1 over its new baby cousins....choices choices choices
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders