New XL Series HD 6X Wide Angle Lens - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old November 6th, 2006, 01:14 PM   #76
Starway Pictures

I got a quick look at the lens at HD EXPO in Universal City last week and it's gorgeous. It was extremely sharp edge to edge with zero vignetting at full wide. The lens looks almost identicle to the 20x so it makes a great companion lens.

I can't wait to get my hands on one.
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2006, 05:43 PM   #77
Major Player

Thank you very much for the report on the edge to edge sharpness - just what I wanted to hear!!!

How did the hand-held balance change? A little more balanced without hanging accessories on the rear bracket and increasing overall weight?
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2006, 06:05 PM   #78
Starway Pictures

Unfortunately I didn't pick the camera up as it was mounted to a tri-pod on the display floor. The lens looks a little shorter than the 20x. It probably ways a little less too. So I'm sure that'll help balance.

I also noticed that the DOF was substantially shallower. It could've been the low-light/available-light nature of the show floor. And I didn't notice any CA.

Again, I only spent a short while with the lens while also talking with the great Canon reps.
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2006, 07:22 PM   #79
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Bickford
$8999 + $2999 = $11,998 which really isn't very close to $15K...
Very true, thank you for the update. Nonetheless, still a lot of money if any part of it is an investment of a component you will not make justifiable use of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Sanders
I got a quick look at the lens at HD EXPO in Universal City last week and it's gorgeous. It was extremely sharp edge to edge with zero vignetting at full wide. The lens looks almost identical to the 20x so it makes a great companion lens...
Thanks for the first-hand feedback Robert. That is great news indeed!
Lorry Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 03:18 AM   #80
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Sanders
Unfortunately I didn't pick the camera up as it was mounted to a tri-pod on the display floor. The lens looks a little shorter than the 20x. It probably ways a little less too. So I'm sure that'll help balance.

I also noticed that the DOF was substantially shallower. It could've been the low-light/available-light nature of the show floor. And I didn't notice any CA.

Again, I only spent a short while with the lens while also talking with the great Canon reps.
If that's the case, I am sold. It would make the perfect companion to the H1 and the standard 20x stock lens. It would give 24mm - 800mm in 35mm terms, which covers practically everything you ever want to shoot. Furthermore, you can make better use of the sweetspots of each lens. As the 6X wide goes to 149mm, you can start using the 20x stock at like 100mm. The wide-angle and telephoto ends of lenses are always weaker (distortion, purple fringing etc.)

Looks like a real winner. And for $2300, a bargain if you ask me.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 11:13 AM   #81
Major Player

Canon 6x delayed?

Hi,
According to a Canon web site the 6x wide angle zoom for the XL H1 is delayed by FCC in USA.

Was easier before when lenses didn't need electronics ... /Johan
Johan Forssblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 12:08 PM   #82
Inner Circle

Dear Johan,

Are you referring to this statement at the bottom of the 6x lens page:

"The Canon HD Video Lens 6x Zoom XL 3.4-20.4mm L has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until such authorization is obtained."

If so, then this is the standard statement that has been on this page since it was originally put on the website.

This only means that Canon has to obtain FCC approval before selling the lens, as is true of many electronic products. Canon should have approval by now.
Old November 7th, 2006, 01:10 PM   #83
Regular Crew

Wow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Swirsky
The Wide Angle Lens is also officially listed on the Canon USA site:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...12152&pageno=0
If I'm reading this correctly that lens will fit all "L" series (L1 / L2) as well as "XL" Series (XL1 / XL1s / XL2) cameras...pretty nifty.
Old November 7th, 2006, 01:20 PM   #84
Inner Circle

Wouldn't that make it the only cross series L and XL lens on the market???
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 02:14 PM   #85
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrison Hayes
If I'm reading this correctly that lens will fit all "L" series (L1 / L2) as well as "XL" Series...
Sorry, but no you are not reading that correctly. As the text explains: Canon reserves the "L-Series" designation for its highest quality photographic lenses. The term "L series" is just a designator for the quality of the glass. This lens will not fit on a Canon L1 or L2 Hi-8 camcorder. The nomenclature for the lenses that mount on an L1 or L2 is the term "VL." VL mount lenses are not compatible with XL mount cameras and vice-versa, and due to the physical differences (diameter, etc.) between the XL and VL mounts, it is impossible to make a lens back that will fit both types. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #86
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton
...This only means that Canon has to obtain FCC approval before selling the lens, as is true of many electronic products. Canon should have approval by now ....
Dear Dan,
Yes, I thought of this sentence. Didn't notice it until today. So you mean Canon has got the approval but their web page needs to be updated?
I thought they might be behind schedule due to this because I considered it as an explanation why maybe they were delayed. Otherwise I thought it was strange to list in their ads what kind of tests a thing needs to pass. This is just one of them. Why list only this among other qualifications? Strange to me or they would like to blame FCC perhaps for slow paperwork or something. /Johan
Johan Forssblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 03:22 PM   #87
Major Player

The webpages for the Canon XH-A1 and XH-G1 also say "coming soon" while hundreds or maybe thousands of people are already using them.

Canon needs to wake up if you ask me. I also would like to see a Canon representative on these boards now and then. Panasonic, JVC and many other companies like Cineform do a mucht better job in this regard.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 03:44 PM   #88
Inner Circle

Canon's Director of Product Development told me that they are prohibited from posting on forums.

He said it was especially frustrating at times, especially when a thread is essentially based on incorrect facts.

As painful as it is, they have to abide by Canon's company policy.
Old November 7th, 2006, 04:41 PM   #89
Inner Circle

Dear Johan,

I don't think Canon is attempting to blame the FCC for any delay, if there is one.

They are required by law not to sell an electronic device that is capable of creating interference until it is tested and approved by the FCC.

So, this is just a normal disclaimer.

I do not know that Canon has approval, but I assume that they have. This is just a normal part of their development cycle.
Old November 7th, 2006, 06:14 PM   #90
Regular Crew

I was wrong...mybad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Sorry, but no you are not reading that correctly. As the text explains: Canon reserves the "L-Series" designation for its highest quality photographic lenses. The term "L series" is just a designator for the quality of the glass. This lens will not fit on a Canon L1 or L2 Hi-8 camcorder. The nomenclature for the lenses that mount on an L1 or L2 is the term "VL." VL mount lenses are not compatible with XL mount cameras and vice-versa, and due to the physical differences (diameter, etc.) between the XL and VL mounts, it is impossible to make a lens back that will fit both types. Hope this helps,
Oh Ok, thanks Chris. My Mistake.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders